ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody using CM Lodestar 1 Ton Next Generation  (Read 6450 times)

ToddBuckner

• Absolute Audio Systems LLC
Anybody using CM Lodestar 1 Ton Next Generation
« on: March 03, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »

Anybody using CM Lodestar 1 Ton Next Generation hoists

any thoughts on performance and reliability
Todd Buckner
Absolute Audio Systems LLC

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
Re: Anybody using CM Lodestar 1 Ton Next Generation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »

Where does one find info on this new motor?  I googled it and got no hits.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:27:24 AM »

I recall seeing some nextgen hoists on a tour that came through a couple weeks ago.  I wasn't rigging so didn't operate one, but didn't notice any obvious differences.  I think Atlanta Rigging Systems was the vendor.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ToddBuckner

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:01 AM »

Hey Steve ... you are right , there seems to be  limited info on the web... there are several for sale at the typical gear outlets and I have seen them come through on shows .... I considering buying a system of 8 or 12 and  was hoping somebody had some real world info ..... they seem to be similar to the "classic" but with a few differences in design.

Where does one find info on this new motor?  I googled it and got no hits.
Todd Buckner

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »

Hey Steve ... you are right , there seems to be  limited info on the web... there are several for sale at the typical gear outlets and I have seen them come through on shows .... I considering buying a system of 8 or 12 and  was hoping somebody had some real world info ..... they seem to be similar to the "classic" but with a few differences in design.

Call Atlanta Rigging Systems and ask... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »

Call Atlanta Rigging Systems and ask... ;)

Ignorant Question....: What does "next gen" do that "original gen" doesn't? What are intermingling issues?

ToddBuckner

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:03 PM »

Still curious if anybody is using these  and their experiences ??

I have reached out to Atlanta Rigging for some information .... below is what they provided

the motors cost the same between the two so its mainly up to personal preference.

The New Generation:

has a 5 pocket lift wheel
a DC brake
a clutch outside the gear housing
and comes with coated chain guides to reduce chatter.
And weep holes installed in the suspensions.

If these were being used during a show it would be more ideal due to the quiet nature.

If these are being operated outside (weather) then I would go with the Classic ; As the AC brake on these will still run when damp/wet
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:41:26 PM by ToddBuckner »
Todd Buckner

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »

Mountain Productions has a "deal" on 3 phase 1 ton "Classic" hoists w/60ft chains.  $2,568.88 in 10x quantity.  They'll throw in chain bags, too.

The DC brake was mentioned to me by a tour rigger but I didn't grok that it could be trouble in damp climates.  I don't think you'd go wrong buying the Classic.

A local AV shop just purchased some Stagemaker 1 tons.  VERY quiet.  Hard to hear the motor when you give them a bump prior to running.  Don't know how they do in weather but my initial reaction was 'these are cool.'

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »

If these are being operated outside (weather) then I would go with the Classic ; As the AC brake on these will still run when damp/wet

Yes, I can verify this.  The new motors are nice and certainly quieter, but if you ever plan on using them in damp/wet environments (like those freak rain storms in the middle of the summer season), get the classic version. 

I don't know exactly how damp/wet it needs to be to lock up, but I can tell you there's nothing like having your PA stuck 40' in the air because your motor got a little wet. ::)

Tim Woodworth

• Intellasound Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »

They are different is size so if you have a bunch of the classics in cases, your new cases will be different. We don't have any, but we were thinking of getting some at the time when the classics were planned on going away. I have heard that the next Gen ones had some brake issues when they came out. I don't know if they got this resolved or not. I have to wonder why the classics were going away totally, and then when the next gen ones came out...all of a sudden the old ones got the classic label and you are able to still order them. For these reasons we have stayed with the classics.

Tim Woodworth
Intellasound Productions
Verona, WI

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.