ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless iem recommendation  (Read 4273 times)

Steve Loewenthal

wireless iem recommendation
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:55 AM »

I am looking to get another wireless IEM system. I am asking for a list of brand-model that would be considered as entry level but acceptable to the professional sound person. (IOW a professional sound person would consider having this brand-model in their inventory.)  Used and discontinued models are OK as I am not in a hurry and can wait for a good value to show up on ebay-CL-etc. (Or if new, wait for a good mfr rebate/sale.)

I am not a professional sound person, but prefer to buy professional grade stuff when feasible.

In other threads, the Sennheiser EW300 G3 continually shows up. Is this "the" choice, or are there other brand-models to consider.

My most important considerations are reliability and how many years the unit will remain reliable.
And I guess 1 more consideration: what frequency might be considered less likely to be taken over by the FCC and sold off for use elsewhere.

I believe I already have the iem mix side covered, as well as good enough quality ear buds. I may want future advice on antenna systems, but if so, that would be a different thread. For this thread I am looking for just brand-model.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: wireless iem recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »

I am looking to get another wireless IEM system. I am asking for a list of brand-model that would be considered as entry level but acceptable to the professional sound person. (IOW a professional sound person would consider having this brand-model in their inventory.)  Used and discontinued models are OK as I am not in a hurry and can wait for a good value to show up on ebay-CL-etc. (Or if new, wait for a good mfr rebate/sale.)

I am not a professional sound person, but prefer to buy professional grade stuff when feasible.

In other threads, the Sennheiser EW300 G3 continually shows up. Is this "the" choice, or are there other brand-models to consider.

My most important considerations are reliability and how many years the unit will remain reliable.
And I guess 1 more consideration: what frequency might be considered less likely to be taken over by the FCC and sold off for use elsewhere.

I believe I already have the iem mix side covered, as well as good enough quality ear buds. I may want future advice on antenna systems, but if so, that would be a different thread. For this thread I am looking for just brand-model.
The Sennheiser EW300 G3 is the entry-level standard.  Other than having a lot of self-noise (hiss independent of the signal and the setting of the gain knob), they are rock solid and reasonably priced.  The Shure PSM900 is better in some ways, but more money, as is the Sennheiser 2000 series.

If you go with the Sennheiser, get the version that comes with two packs per transmitter.  The two pack version is only $200 more than the single pack version, and you can have a spare, or can do two mono mixes from one transmitter.

For what frequency band to get - the FCC has committed some space in both the 500Mhz band and the 600Mhz band that will be reserved for unlicensed use.  They haven't decided what that is yet, and it will vary depending on the market.  One argument is that the 500Mhz band is safer since the FCC is not auctioning that space off, however TV stations will be repacked into this band, so it will be more fully used than it is today.  The counter argument is that the 600Mhz band may actually be a better buy for a small number of channels, as the reserved band may be less congested as other users flee to the 500Mhz band.

I own devices in both bands, and am not panicking.  For a small number of channels, I don't think it matters much - you'll likely be able to make them work, whatever the FCC decides to do.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

I posted my answer in your previous thread, but perhaps it didn't look 'professional' enough.  :)  Rest assured that i have 25 years of Full-Time Professional Varsity Level Experience, which is even more impressive when i capitalize all the first letters.   :)

What TJ said is spot on.  I would also add that the older G2 series from Sennheiser is a very good used alternative.  The audio circuitry is, to the best of my knowledge, identical to the G3 series as is the build quality.  There are a number of G2 systems still in use by professional sound companies and they still work well.  These systems sell pretty regularly on eBay for about 400 bucks and they are a great value for the money.

The new Shure PSM300 system also bears a good looking at.  The audio performance is basically identical to the Shure PSM900.  You should definitely spring for the more expensive belt pack if you go this route.  The cheaper plastic version is really not worth the savings.

If you are limiting your options to systems universally accepted in professional circles, that's basically all there is.  Audio-Technica and AKG both make systems that are decent, but neither has ever gained widespread professional acceptance for various reasons.  The plethora of budget systems from companies like Galaxy, Carvin, Nady, Samson and the like don't even bear mentioning.  They are all terrible.

The only other system i have heard very good things about is the MiPro rig.  I've not used it personally [i have used or own all the Shure and Sennheiser systems mentioned above], but people i know and respect speak very highly of it.

Let us know if you have any other specific questions.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »

I posted my answer in your previous thread, but perhaps it didn't look 'professional' enough.  :)  ...

Your response to my thread in the Lounge was definitely 'professional' enough and appreciated. (Although I am impressed by the capitalization :) )
It was my realization that I did not properly ask for what I wanted that made me create a new post here. In hindsight, perhaps I should have done my re-phrasing in the other post asked the moderators to move it here, or somehow mark that post as being closed and redirected to here. Hopefully if it happens again I'll remember to ask the moderators what to do before just opening a new post.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »

Your response to my thread in the Lounge was definitely 'professional' enough and appreciated. (Although I am impressed by the capitalization :) )
It was my realization that I did not properly ask for what I wanted that made me create a new post here. In hindsight, perhaps I should have done my re-phrasing in the other post asked the moderators to move it here, or somehow mark that post as being closed and redirected to here. Hopefully if it happens again I'll remember to ask the moderators what to do before just opening a new post.

For what little it's worth, my humble opinion on G2 vs. G3 (as of 2.5 years ago) is here: https://soundforums.net/threads/4381-Differences-Sennehiser-ew300-IEM-G2-and-G3?p=36174&viewfull=1#post36174

By today's professional standards, also IMO, G2's are woefully substandard in audio frequency range, dynamic range, noise level, stereo image separation, and especially in RF performance.  They're also a time consuming pain in the butt to program.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »

For what little it's worth, my humble opinion on G2 vs. G3 (as of 2.5 years ago) is here: https://soundforums.net/threads/4381-Differences-Sennehiser-ew300-IEM-G2-and-G3?p=36174&viewfull=1#post36174

By today's professional standards, also IMO, G2's are woefully substandard in audio frequency range, dynamic range, noise level, stereo image separation, and especially in RF performance.  They're also a time consuming pain in the butt to program.

interesting.  i didn't really think there was a huge difference in the sound quality of the G2 vs. the G3, but i think you are better informed than i am on the matter.  I've used the G3 a couple of times, but i moved from G2 to PSM900 as my personal rig, so that's what i have the most experience using.

i do agree that programming them kinda sucks...  :)

I do also LOVE the PSM1000.  My personal favorite.  But definitely not entry level.   :)

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.