ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: seeing as homebrew comes up on here most often  (Read 9254 times)

Richard Turner

seeing as homebrew comes up on here most often
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:16:22 PM »

This right here is what you are you against when home brewing loudspeakers.....  An army of assemblers... 4 CNC routers... Pro paint booths....

Well worth 12.5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=155Ps75_y6s
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

John L Nobile

Re: seeing as homebrew comes up on here most often
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:46:23 PM »

This right here is what you are you against when home brewing loudspeakers.....  An army of assemblers... 4 CNC routers... Pro paint booths....

Well worth 12.5 minutes

Thanks for the link. I've owned a few Yorkville boxes over the years. I always thought that they w ere the best value years ago. I wonder if all their products are made in Pickering?
They've always been looked at as a working musicians product and I've seen a lot of riders with "no Yorkville" on them. I'd use them. Great quality and some good designs.
Not sure what agreement they have with Danley. I know their Unity horn was his design but I saw a Paraline logo on the video. Is that another Danley design?

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:47:52 PM »

Yorkville is consistently and quietly rated a good company to work for in Canada. Most every manager for Long-Mcquade music stores ends up there for training on yorkville and traynor product.

I guess they keep things simple, if you show up and do your job as instructed and add input to make your job and the job of whoever is next to you on the line easier and you get to come back so long as you are able or want to.

Seeing as most everything is short run in the grand scheme of things I cant see getting too bored. Make one product for a week or 2 . switch the line to something else rotate through, prototype a run of something for next year...

Not everything is made in plant, they have swayed into brought in from china stuff, the collesium mini stuff is china made as are a lot of the apex brand assc.

I do get the no yorkville thing though as so far as pro audio the line has been limited, guess thats why VTC was branded as a separate company, That said an EF508 and TX5 shared the same components back in the day. The pulse series really bit them on the ass. it was cheap cheap cheap but I guess they sold literally tons of it and stood behind it on warranty, great value for dollar for any working musician for sure.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:50:11 PM by Richard Turner »
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:54:03 AM »

Not sure what agreement they have with Danley. I know their Unity horn was his design but I saw a Paraline logo on the video. Is that another Danley design?
The Unity horn was designed by Yorkville engineers based on Tom Danleys Unity horn patent.  That was done back when Tom worked for SPL, and the licensing is done with SPL.

The same thing applies to the paraline and tapped horn products that Yorkvilles uses today.  They have a licensing agreement with Danley Sound Labs for use of the technologies.  Tom did not design the particular products those technologies are used in.

So while the idea is Tom Danleys-the actual implementation and design in that or Yorkville.

It is interesting to note that Yorkville built the very first paraline prototype lens for us to play with.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »

While you may think I am "up against" big money, in fact the very opposite is true.

Big manufacturers spend large amounts of money on the building, machinery, utilities, insurance, compliance (laws, fire codes, safety, etc) labor, lawyers, marketing and advertising. They also spend money on branding items like name badges or routing/silk screening their name on the product.

While they do see a savings in buying their wood in bulk, or buying tons of parts like handles and drivers and getting a better price than I will buying just a few sheets or a dozen woofers, their other overhead costs drive up their prices.

Then there are profits. I don't have to answer to a corporate board and make X amount of money every quarter, or worse answer to stockholders who demand profits every year.

While I don't have CNC machines my table saw with 50" Vega fence provides accuracy to one thousandths of an inch. My router circle jig does the same.

So why DIY? Well for one, if I can't find exactly what I am looking for I can fabricate it myself. I can experiment with things that manufacturers will not make because the market demand is not there. Also, some people (like me) actually enjoy designing and building things. And last, for some things I can make a comparable product for less than I can purchase.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »

While you may think I am "up against" big money, in fact the very opposite is true.

Big manufacturers spend large amounts of money on the building, machinery, utilities, insurance, compliance (laws, fire codes, safety, etc) labor, lawyers, marketing and advertising. They also spend money on branding items like name badges or routing/silk screening their name on the product.

While they do see a savings in buying their wood in bulk, or buying tons of parts like handles and drivers and getting a better price than I will buying just a few sheets or a dozen woofers, their other overhead costs drive up their prices.

Then there are profits. I don't have to answer to a corporate board and make X amount of money every quarter, or worse answer to stockholders who demand profits every year.

While I don't have CNC machines my table saw with 50" Vega fence provides accuracy to one thousandths of an inch. My router circle jig does the same.

So why DIY? Well for one, if I can't find exactly what I am looking for I can fabricate it myself. I can experiment with things that manufacturers will not make because the market demand is not there. Also, some people (like me) actually enjoy designing and building things. And last, for some things I can make a comparable product for less than I can purchase.
I was looking for a "thumbs up" button on your post Craig.
"Thumbs up" !

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »

Yes.

I have always been a DIYer.  It is what got me into this crazy business.

Back in the early days I had very little money-but lots of time and a desire to learn.

I have LEARNED A LOT from things that worked and much more from things that DIDN'T work.  I learned a lot from my mistakes.

I agree that it was a lot of "doing what I wanted/needed" as I wanted it-well that and a lack of money-----------

That experience has a lot to do with getting me where I am-where ever that is :0
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »

Most of us got into this business as DIY-er's, or at least the "older" group. I have reached the point that I only build something if there is nothing available that will take it's place. I enjoy building things, but not mass-production. I'll leave that to the big guys.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »

Well worth 12.5 minutes

Building a CNC Router is on my list.  I will start on it after I am done with the CNC milling machine I am currently working on.  Paint boot is also on my wish list.  As for the army of assemblers?  Got me on that one.  Maybe that's why my hobby projects take so long.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:48:26 AM »

Building a CNC Router is on my list.
I have started one.  I use an Excellon CNC drill/router at work.  It was originally bought to make printed circuit boards but I now use it to make test jigs and assembly aids (and parts for CNC routers!).
What software are you using?  I have downloaded and installed Linux CNC.  It is a superbly written and documented piece of software but you do need to run Linux for it to work.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:48:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.