ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus RM32AI anyone?  (Read 10651 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Presonus RM32AI anyone?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »

I got the model number wrong.  It is the srq 4015 by Roland.  It has a feature that you can dial in frequencies - press the jog wheel and the frequency grays out.  You don't even have to turn it down.  It cuts the frequency at a much greater slope than just turning it down.  If you still don't believe me, the manual is available online.   I'm pretty sure that the equalizers in the presonus will not do that and all of this is a mute point.  Since that is almost certainly the case, I realize that I will have to use a crossover.  I will probably donate a peavey vsx26 I have in my studio. We are not having any sound problems.  This upgrade is more for multi media production than live sound.  I just know it could be better. The greatest improvement to our sound could be made with accoustic treatment than anything else.   I own a DR 260 for my own personal system.  Before that I used a DRPA. I know that Tom and Dick are much more knowledgeable than I am about live sound and I appreciate everyone's input. I guess I was just looking for someone who may know about these Presonus racks, but they are very new.  Thanks to all and I will not post unless I have a legitimate question in the future.  God Bless.  BTW, you can read all about our system in one of my earlier posts.  Not sure how to link it, but this is only my 20th.

Adam...

Good luck to one and all.  The point here is to help one another, not to embarrass anyone.  The point as well is to disabuse one another of mistaken notions which will be detrimental to progress.

Rather than going on the defensive when a misconception is corrected, it would be better to inquire as to why and what the difference is rather than debating from an untenable position.  Simply stated,  GEQ's and crossovers are different devices and not functionally interchangeable.

The Roland unit you cite does not, cannot and will not function as a crossover despite your assertion.

FWIW, I agree that a computer operated unit without physical faders and controls is likely far from the best option.  A complete list of all existing system components complete with brand and model #'s as well as your location will help with any future assistance we might be able to offer.

Just give up on trying to substitute EQ's for crossovers...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »

To me his previous post was an upgrade on the speakers.  The layout is 200 x 65 ?  and the stage is centered on the 200. 
I would look at my next building and recommend you do 200 deep with the stage on the 65.  Providing so the people will be looking face to face with the service.  Now they see the side or back as the person of interest moves around to address the people.   We built some buildings for religious events more like a theater with sloped floors raised stage area.  Some what circled on the back some.  Acoustic problems there so find a good architect on theater

The church is adding an updated mixer to the current system but have not addressed the Speaker Management from the previous post linked.  I would target the speaker management as the next upgrade to consider because this will put you on a better control to the problems. 

Is there any targets and goals for updating the building to a new facility you were hinting on the previous post. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »

Added on  that the local sound provider is the provider of the first system and they are not pleased and trying to move to another.  They are working with volunteers and members at this point.  I believe it was Washington State ? 

So If we were to assist with planning an upgrade what would be the cost of the speaker management system and the adjustment and setup cost.  The church will not find the funding to buy the tech gear or get the training so this is a cost item for the billing.   Ivan has shown why the 2 chan  fft is needed.    This plan and info can than be taken by the OP and provided to the church to place in the budget. 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »

I used to own the two-channel version of the EQ you are referencing.  It was a neat piece of gear.  Roland used to be really innovative in the '90's.  Unfortunately they seem less so lately.

Here's the manual for your EQ:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/571294/Roland-Srq-4015.html?page=28#manual

There is a function they call "total cut" that they claim nukes the band by 60dB.  This is primarily intended as a notch filter for feedback suppression, but would be a better rudimentary crossover than a typical +/- 15dB eq, however not really a replacement for a real crossover.

In any case, the Presonus EQ doesn't have that function.

From your other post, it seems like you already have a multi-way system.  What's currently doing the processing?  Assuming you have something performing that function now, any reason to make a change?

Adam Greene

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »

Adam...

Good luck to one and all.  The point here is to help one another, not to embarrass anyone.  The point as well is to disabuse one another of mistaken notions which will be detrimental to progress.

Rather than going on the defensive when a misconception is corrected, it would be better to inquire as to why and what the difference is rather than debating from an untenable position.  Simply stated,  GEQ's and crossovers are different devices and not functionally interchangeable.

The Roland unit you cite does not, cannot and will not function as a crossover despite your assertion.

FWIW, I agree that a computer operated unit without physical faders and controls is likely far from the best option.  A complete list of all existing system components complete with brand and model #'s as well as your location will help with any future assistance we might be able to offer.

Just give up on trying to substitute EQ's for crossovers...

Thank you Mr. Rees.  I have read dozens of your posts and you are right on everything that I've read.  Sometimes a Church cannot afford the ideal gear.  At the time I installed these 3 way cabs (EV Xi1123) I had to choose between a standard 3 way crossover and this srq4015 which also has delay which is essential for these speakers also.  We just didn't have ANY budget for gear.  Believe it or not, with the 60db per octave cut,  the srq does an adequate job as a crossover.  Not ideal for sure but functional.  I will be using a Peavey vsx 26 which I will be donating for the new set up.   Not a high end unit, but much better than the Roland.   

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »

With the subs separated to each sid at roughly 30 feet would it be better to locate them together side to side getting a small 3 db acoustic gain? 

Adam Greene

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »

I used to own the two-channel version of the EQ you are referencing.  It was a neat piece of gear.  Roland used to be really innovative in the '90's.  Unfortunately they seem less so lately.

Here's the manual for your EQ:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/571294/Roland-Srq-4015.html?page=28#manual

There is a function they call "total cut" that they claim nukes the band by 60dB.  This is primarily intended as a notch filter for feedback suppression, but would be a better rudimentary crossover than a typical +/- 15dB eq, however not really a replacement for a real crossover.

In any case, the Presonus EQ doesn't have that function.

From your other post, it seems like you already have a multi-way system.  What's currently doing the processing?  Assuming you have something performing that function now, any reason to make a change?

We are currently using the srq I described.  It also have delay on each output which is essential for the EV xi1123 main speakers we have.  I replied to Mr. Rees.  It put my post inside the quote field for some reason.  It has a little more information.  Thanks to all.  The UPS suggestion makes total sense to me. 

Adam Greene

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »

With the subs separated to each sid at roughly 30 feet would it be better to locate them together side to side getting a small 3 db acoustic gain?

Presently they are in an inset on each side of the stage.  Putting them together would be in the middle of the alter area.  I had a hard time getting Pastor to agree to the location they are at!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:51 PM »

I feel that you should address the speaker management issues with a proper device and with Setup and adjustment by a qualified rep.  Getting a price for this will be needed to allow the budget and planning to be in place to fix some of the issues. 

With Ivan being Atlanta and you being guessing west coast the flight and room costs will be steep on the budget so finding a closer person qualified would help to reduce these costs. 

Adam Greene

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »

Added on  that the local sound provider is the provider of the first system and they are not pleased and trying to move to another.  They are working with volunteers and members at this point.  I believe it was Washington State ? 

So If we were to assist with planning an upgrade what would be the cost of the speaker management system and the adjustment and setup cost.  The church will not find the funding to buy the tech gear or get the training so this is a cost item for the billing.   Ivan has shown why the 2 chan  fft is needed.    This plan and info can than be taken by the OP and provided to the church to place in the budget.

We have put all plans like that on hold.  The Church budget is not even paying for the Presonus.  We are a small congregation trying to do the best we can.  Modern worship style.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:49:51 PM by Adam Greene »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.