ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville AP4K Amplifier - Feedback  (Read 5131 times)

CourtneyLatham

Yorkville AP4K Amplifier - Feedback
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »

I'm looking for anyone that has used, compared, and/or tested the Yorkville AP4K amplifier. 

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Yorkville AP4K Amplifier - Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »

I'm looking for anyone that has used, compared, and/or tested the Yorkville AP4K amplifier.
And what do you want to know about it?!?

Welcome to the forums! Per the Rules of Participation, please return to your profile and update your Display Name to reflect your real, Full Name, as required on the ProSoundWeb. Until you do, we are not permitted to assist you…

Thanks!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

CourtneyLatham

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »

Got it fixed. 

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:29 PM »

i rented one once for two monitor mixes (one per channel).  had lots of headrooom, heavy as snot though!  no complaints, but didn't put a lot of mileage or load on it.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

John Sabine

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »

I've got 2 of them and think its a great amplifier. I don't agree with the "heavy as snot" comment in a previous post because I swapped to the AP4k from Yorkville AP6040's and as a result my amp racks lost 26 lbs each. At 41 lbs it seems to be about the same weight as comparable power amps. The only issues I have had it that it seems to be more power hungry than it's predecessors. I don't think I every tripped a circuit breaker in my distro with the 6040's but have done it several times since swapping to the AP4K's. Keep in mind that when I have tripped a breaker during a gig I was hammering the subs so it wasn't a complete surprise. For some reason I have also had them to trip circuit breakers on initial power up but when it's done this I've just turned amp power switch off, re-set the breaker, and repeated power up and it was fine. My only other gripe is that the knobs stick out a bit far and I feel like they are vulnerable to damage because of this but I have no evidence to prove it. I REALLY like the fact that I can choose to have full power at either 2 or 4 ohms per channel. This feature gives me a lot of setup flexibility and since a lot of the time I'm going into a situation blind it's nice to be able choose. I've had mine for almost 2 years and probably 100 shows and have had no issues.
"I think it needs more barn"

CourtneyLatham

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »

Thank you for the information! 

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »

From what I can tell it uses a conventional toroidal (heavy copper) transformer in the power supply and SMD style circuit boards. In that respect its not unlike a lot of products Peavy brought out 10 or more years ago.

The AP series amps are still available under the VTC audio line and through most yorkville dealers as such, Also you might infrequently find theatre amps which are a copy of the ap404 but have no gain knobs n front and are 204volt mains input.

Those amps are time proven but just have been surpassed with lower weight higher power offerings from others for mobile use.

I still have an audiopro ap3000 silver face manufactured in 1990 and it functions as designed.

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.