ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Sound System Setup  (Read 21129 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Powered Sound System Setup
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2015, 04:05:09 pm »

Is this why all I hear is boomy kick drum?  Sound guys turning the subs up louder is;  IMHO, the number 1 reason for poor sounding mixes.  Flat response across the subs and tops and if you want more kick, turn up the frickin' fader, not the subs. 

Considering that even 18" speakers still produce higher frequencies better than lower ones, there will be plenty of stuff above 100 hz coming out of the KW181. I say make them flat and there will still be no gap.   

Plenty of free iphone/ipad apps out there you can even "measure" it with.

Of course if you're DJing, all bets are off.  Crank them sub-mothers!

hahahaha

Then you've obviously not heard one of my mixes!

I use the subs as an effect more than anything else. For the majority of my show the rig sounds "flat but full". I get into the subs during drum solos, some song intros, and the occasional "pop" song that we play. Sometimes I'll just push the subs up for a measure or two.

It's amazing when you start off the intro of the first song with "dat supah bass", everyone remembers that impact. By 8 measures in though, I've backed everything WAY off on the low end. So that the rest of the band can be heard and enjoyed. I actually have my sub send on a VCA and I play with it like it was another member of the band.

Also, the act I'm with will go from a modern pop country tune into western swing. During the swing and traditional country parts of the show, you might not hear any subs. Just like good old country should be!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2015, 04:39:36 pm »

hahahaha

Then you've obviously not heard one of my mixes!

I use the subs as an effect more than anything else. For the majority of my show the rig sounds "flat but full". I get into the subs during drum solos, some song intros, and the occasional "pop" song that we play. Sometimes I'll just push the subs up for a measure or two.

It's amazing when you start off the intro of the first song with "dat supah bass", everyone remembers that impact. By 8 measures in though, I've backed everything WAY off on the low end. So that the rest of the band can be heard and enjoyed. I actually have my sub send on a VCA and I play with it like it was another member of the band.

Also, the act I'm with will go from a modern pop country tune into western swing. During the swing and traditional country parts of the show, you might not hear any subs. Just like good old country should be!

Tim, I've heard a couple of your mixes before.  ;D I'll bet you would like to spec out your own rig sometimes.  :D

Mix was good...rig not so much. Doing the best you could though
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:42:55 pm by Jamin Lynch »
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2015, 04:48:40 pm »

Tim, I've heard a couple of your mixes before.  ;D I'll bet you would like to spec out your own rig sometimes.  :D

Mix was good...rig not so much. Doing the best you could though

lol!

Most definitely! Thanks Jamin!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Akki Serd

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2015, 02:51:07 am »

Hi guys,
I hope I don't hijack this awesome post.
Just got prx718xlfs 2x, on top I have prx615's,...  I have read some posts on forums , and find some recommend keeping subs level knoob all the way up? Is this safe/recommend or you have other suggestions for setting knobs on both tops and subs?
Thanks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2015, 03:28:48 am »

Without being flipant the knobs should be set to match the input you are feeding them.  Are you familiar with the term gain staging?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Akki Serd

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2015, 12:28:16 pm »

I was researching that term little bit and this is easiest for me to understand that I found so if you can just confirm that this is correct

"Probably the best strategy is to play a constant tone into your mixer and raise it until your outputs go as far into the red as you are willing to live with. Then turn up your speakers until the clip/limiting light comes on. Now your system has the proper gain structure. But you want to ensure that your mixer never clips before your amps go into limiting. So the next step depends on your material and your mixing style.

Turn your mixer all the way down and then back off the attenuator on the amp/speaker by 6-10dB so that the amp/speaker goes into limiting before your mixer clips (this allows "compliance" and gives the limiters in your amp some room to work)."

Steve Garris

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2015, 09:17:19 pm »

Akki, I have a similar system (PRX615's over PRX618'sxlf). Just to get you at a good starting point, I recommend that the tops and sub's all be set at 12 o'clock. Play some recorded music through the system, and balance the sound to your liking. Depending on where you are, and the room acoustics, you might need to turn the sub's all the way up. Good luck with your gig!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »

I was researching that term little bit and this is easiest for me to understand that I found so if you can just confirm that this is correct

"Probably the best strategy is to play a constant tone into your mixer and raise it until your outputs go as far into the red as you are willing to live with. Then turn up your speakers until the clip/limiting light comes on. Now your system has the proper gain structure. But you want to ensure that your mixer never clips before your amps go into limiting. So the next step depends on your material and your mixing style.

Turn your mixer all the way down and then back off the attenuator on the amp/speaker by 6-10dB so that the amp/speaker goes into limiting before your mixer clips (this allows "compliance" and gives the limiters in your amp some room to work)."

Any amount in the red is too much. The red is a stop light as in, stop turning it up.

I would want a red indicator at my mixer before my amps get near their limit (they may not have a polite limiter).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.