ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Sound System Setup  (Read 31315 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Powered Sound System Setup
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »

Is this gear over-kill? Do I need more? 
As usual, no one; technically, answered your question, No, it is defintely not overkill. I doubt you'll need more if you  get just a little better.

Take the advise on the better speaker options. Especially concerning the Thumps and getting DSR112s instead of K12s. For the same size and around the same money you can get much better speakers.   

Someone will be along with a PM and and some really good prices momentarily I'm sure.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »

i hate powered setups why most powered speaker don't put out the power they say and you need to run more cabling power and audio and if you're outdoor and caught in the rain you're screwed. and Siamese cable for power and audio are very bulky

What powered speakers have you used that do not put out the power that they say they will?

What siamese AC/signal cables have you purchased that are significantly bulkier then carrying/running separate cables?

Thanks,

Ray

PS: If you are unprepared for inclement weather, you will be equally screwed with passive gear when caught in the rain.....
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »

I believe that based on this:

He's currently using 4-conductor cables, to send both LF and HF to each side of the stage using one cable. Although he's also using a jumper cable from the sub to the top (or a breakout box PLUS another cable) so the cable count ends up being the same. It's just one LONG run, as opposed to two, to get to the other side of the stage I can see a bit of time/weight savings there, more time then weight. Although I can pull two cables at the same time.

-Ray
The powered subs that I have seen have XLR passthroughs so it's the same quantity as Speakons no matter how you slice it.

The far greater issue is the significantly better sound from a DSR112 compared to an XTI plus a $400 passive box du jour.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »

As with many others here, I would have the following recommendations:

DSR112's for tops vs K12.  You should be able to go hear these for yourself since they are often sold at the same stores.

For the subs, I completely agree that the KSUB is .... well not so good.  The KW181 is a great option, and as others have stated, I actually prefer the JBL PRX718XLF.  Both are fine speakers.

And finally .... another vote for the Alto TS112a's in place of the Mackie thumps.

You are in the right range of speakers for making a very good sounding system.

I totally disagree that passive is better than powered.  IMHO this is only true for higher end systems put together by professional sound techs.

David Hayes

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »

Totally agree with getting DSR112s instead of K12s.  I also agree with not even considering the Mackie Thumps.  A better alternative in that price range is the Alto TS112A.   

I use these speakers in an aggressive hard rock band.  I use LS801Ps for subs, but for your application I might consider the KW181.

Jay Marr

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »

I believe that based on this:

He's currently using 4-conductor cables, to send both LF and HF to each side of the stage using one cable. Although he's also using a jumper cable from the sub to the top (or a breakout box PLUS another cable) so the cable count ends up being the same. It's just one LONG run, as opposed to two, to get to the other side of the stage I can see a bit of time/weight savings there, more time then weight. Although I can pull two cables at the same time.

-Ray

You are correct, I use a single cable with 4 conductor.  Two of the strands are longer, so I can drop into the top and sub without a second cable or box.
I pull two cables out of my trunk, run one to each side of the stage....and I'm done.

A bit more detail:
My entire PA is one 10 space rack.
Crown itech 4k
Crown itech 8k
Behringer xrack
1 rack shelf with router
2 space patch bay for,all connections (xlr inputs, aux sends, speakon to run to my stacks and power cons to plug in my amps and xrack)
I can lift it myself and I wheel it close to the power source on the stage.
This means short power runs to my amp and speakons to each side of the stage are fast and simple.
The band plugs into the labeled xlr panel.
Our record breakdown is 15 minutes....ready to load the van.  That includes all of our guitar amps and drums as well.  Full band breakdown.

That being said, I do wish the small passive speaker options were as plentiful as the powered options.  There are not a lot of great single 12" options out there in the passive market.

I run 2 different systems from my one rack set up.
2 Dual 18 jbl subs and srx722 tops for big rooms.
Or....single srx728 sub with jtr triple 8 tops for small rooms.

I wish I could find a small box that sounded as good or similar to the srx722's.....if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 01:26:51 AM »

I think you're on the right track with size/scale.

+1 to ditching the thumps.  I wouldn't waste your money on them for both sound and reliability reasons.

+1 on DSR112.  I think these are the best in the price range. 

I highly recommend a married cable for powered speakers.  Ditch all the little 6 foot IEC power cords and use products like run-one.

I would also recommend that you use all the same model for your mains and monitors in this scenario.

Gary Weller

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »

I wish I could find a small box that sounded as good or similar to the srx722's.....if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Danley SM 80 or JTR Noesis 3TX, either one should sound better (IMO) than a srx722, and lighter as well and stand friendly to boot.

John L Nobile

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »

Danley SM 80 or JTR Noesis 3TX, either one should sound better (IMO) than a srx722, and lighter as well and stand friendly to boot.

+1
SM80s with subs sound great with even sound. I don't know how big a room they can do. Most I've had them in was 400 people in a 110 x 110 room with 30' ceiling. Got a few volume complaints and they were just idling.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I really appreciate all the advice and recommendations.  Based on what you are saying, the first thing I'm doing is changing from the K12's to the DSR112's.  Looks like almost everyone agrees that the DSR112's are superior.  What about subs?  Does Yamaha make a sub that is better than the QSC sub that I picked out? 

And Alto:  I'm not familiar with those.  Are they a new company?  By the way, the reason I chose the cheap Mackie monitors was solely based on price.  Thanks for letting me know about the Altos.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.