ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Miking Flea's Bass  (Read 11572 times)

Dave Aubuchon

Miking Flea's Bass
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »

Anybody know which model beta 98 Dave Rat uses on Flea's bass rig and how it's mounted?

Vladimir Angelovski

Re: Miking Flea's Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »

Anybody know which model beta 98 Dave Rat uses on Flea's bass rig and how it's mounted?

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:56:07 AM »

Thanks Vladimir
Just what I was looking for. I searched and searched just couldn't find a close up shot of it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »

I've been looking at these for Tom mics. Will they survive being hit by sticks?
They look too fragile for that but I gotta ask before I rule them out.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »

Looks like some zip-ties holding the Shure factory 98 gooseneck assembly. Cool because it stays with the cabinet when cased and is ready when uncased.

Did this influence Dave's choice, or was a 98 the absolute right mic? Dunno. Often good engineering involves making things "hard to get wrong".

As for 98s/Beta 98s in general on toms, I have found the reliability meh, and they do eat up time when assembling/positioning.

In my experience, either of the Sennheiser Evolution Series tom mics set up faster, sound good faster, and can take stick impacts better than anything  I've seen. Fair price and fat warranty too.

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »

Your not going to find a mic with a smaller foot print. The only way a drummer should hit  one of these is either it was positioned wrong or the drummer was in the wrong line of work.

Not like the old days when we would use Sennheiser 421's on toms and by the end of the tour the top was beat to hell.   

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »

[quote
Not like the old days when we would use Sennheiser 421's on toms and by the end of the tour the top was beat to hell.
[/quote]
and there was a mile of lx tape holding them onto their clips and the casing together. Still have 2 or 3 of these pristine they ain't

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »

Looks like some zip-ties holding the Shure factory 98 gooseneck assembly. Cool because it stays with the cabinet when cased and is ready when uncased.

Did this influence Dave's choice, or was a 98 the absolute right mic? Dunno. Often good engineering involves making things "hard to get wrong".

As for 98s/Beta 98s in general on toms, I have found the reliability meh, and they do eat up time when assembling/positioning.

In my experience, either of the Sennheiser Evolution Series tom mics set up faster, sound good faster, and can take stick impacts better than anything  I've seen. Fair price and fat warranty too.
I have read Dave likes small condenser mics. He uses the Beta 98AD/C on toms, hi-hat and sometime even for top Snare mic.
As far as flea's bass that is the mic he prefers. He's not doing Soundgarden anymore but when he was he used the 98 on Shepherd's rig. The new tech Ted Keedick liked the sound of it so much he uses it as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:07:25 PM by Dave Aubuchon »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »

Work well on toms and can take a hit.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Vladimir Angelovski

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

I have read Dave likes small condenser mics. He uses the Beta 98AD/C on toms, hi-hat and sometime even for top Snare mic.
As far as flea's bass that is the mic he prefers. He's not doing Soundgarden anymore but when he was he used the 98 on Shepherd's rig. The new tech Ted Keedick liked the sound of it so much he uses it as well.

The previous photo IS the mic on Flea's bass cabinet, taken from Dave Rat's blog from some time ago.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.