ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miking Flea's Bass  (Read 11534 times)

Dave Aubuchon

Miking Flea's Bass
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »

Anybody know which model beta 98 Dave Rat uses on Flea's bass rig and how it's mounted?

Vladimir Angelovski

Re: Miking Flea's Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »

Anybody know which model beta 98 Dave Rat uses on Flea's bass rig and how it's mounted?

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:56:07 AM »

Thanks Vladimir
Just what I was looking for. I searched and searched just couldn't find a close up shot of it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »

I've been looking at these for Tom mics. Will they survive being hit by sticks?
They look too fragile for that but I gotta ask before I rule them out.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »

Looks like some zip-ties holding the Shure factory 98 gooseneck assembly. Cool because it stays with the cabinet when cased and is ready when uncased.

Did this influence Dave's choice, or was a 98 the absolute right mic? Dunno. Often good engineering involves making things "hard to get wrong".

As for 98s/Beta 98s in general on toms, I have found the reliability meh, and they do eat up time when assembling/positioning.

In my experience, either of the Sennheiser Evolution Series tom mics set up faster, sound good faster, and can take stick impacts better than anything  I've seen. Fair price and fat warranty too.

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »

Your not going to find a mic with a smaller foot print. The only way a drummer should hit  one of these is either it was positioned wrong or the drummer was in the wrong line of work.

Not like the old days when we would use Sennheiser 421's on toms and by the end of the tour the top was beat to hell.   

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »

[quote
Not like the old days when we would use Sennheiser 421's on toms and by the end of the tour the top was beat to hell.
[/quote]
and there was a mile of lx tape holding them onto their clips and the casing together. Still have 2 or 3 of these pristine they ain't

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »

Looks like some zip-ties holding the Shure factory 98 gooseneck assembly. Cool because it stays with the cabinet when cased and is ready when uncased.

Did this influence Dave's choice, or was a 98 the absolute right mic? Dunno. Often good engineering involves making things "hard to get wrong".

As for 98s/Beta 98s in general on toms, I have found the reliability meh, and they do eat up time when assembling/positioning.

In my experience, either of the Sennheiser Evolution Series tom mics set up faster, sound good faster, and can take stick impacts better than anything  I've seen. Fair price and fat warranty too.
I have read Dave likes small condenser mics. He uses the Beta 98AD/C on toms, hi-hat and sometime even for top Snare mic.
As far as flea's bass that is the mic he prefers. He's not doing Soundgarden anymore but when he was he used the 98 on Shepherd's rig. The new tech Ted Keedick liked the sound of it so much he uses it as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:07:25 PM by Dave Aubuchon »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »

Work well on toms and can take a hit.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Vladimir Angelovski

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

I have read Dave likes small condenser mics. He uses the Beta 98AD/C on toms, hi-hat and sometime even for top Snare mic.
As far as flea's bass that is the mic he prefers. He's not doing Soundgarden anymore but when he was he used the 98 on Shepherd's rig. The new tech Ted Keedick liked the sound of it so much he uses it as well.

The previous photo IS the mic on Flea's bass cabinet, taken from Dave Rat's blog from some time ago.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »

I suppose it depends on the hit and if it was the first one or just the latest in a succession.  I used them for a few years in club land and they lasted.  That said, they are so small that if they are getting hit either you are placing them wrong or the drummer has terrible accuracy.  You should be able to assess the second by looking at the drum head and then make your mic choice from what you see.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:20:18 PM »

I suppose it depends on the hit and if it was the first one or just the latest in a succession.  I used them for a few years in club land and they lasted.  That said, they are so small that if they are getting hit either you are placing them wrong or the drummer has terrible accuracy.  You should be able to assess the second by looking at the drum head and then make your mic choice from what you see.

I'll never understand why people are so afraid of their mics getting hit! In 20 years I could count the mic hits by drummers on 1 hand. And that includes hundreds or maybe thousands of crappy club-level bands! For years I used 57's on toms too!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 09:30:30 PM »

I'll never understand why people are so afraid of their mics getting hit! In 20 years I could count the mic hits by drummers on 1 hand. And that includes hundreds or maybe thousands of crappy club-level bands! For years I used 57's on toms too!

For what it's worth, a buddy of mine has an SM57 with a fork taped to the top of it. He uses it for snare drums. Fork's taken a beating, but the mic looks great still!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John L Nobile

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 10:46:37 PM »

Years ago I bought 4 akg mics. Little condensers that looked like mini D112s and they sounded great in rehearsals. Drummer broke one on opening night and another one a week later. The other 2 lasted almost a year.
So yes, I'm very concerned about them being hit.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 11:58:13 PM »

Years ago I bought 4 akg mics. Little condensers that looked like mini D112s and they sounded great in rehearsals. Drummer broke one on opening night and another one a week later. The other 2 lasted almost a year.
So yes, I'm very concerned about them being hit.

Maybe tell the drummer not to hit it?
Or, don't put it where the sticks go?

Or, get a drummer that knows where his drums are?

Have the drummer buy the mics he wants to use. I bet he won't hit them then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:39 AM »

Have the drummer buy the mics he wants to use. I bet he won't hit them then.

Not a bad idea if you can pull it off - or a "you break it you buy it."  Not uncommon for mic stands and vocal mics.  Only really works in clubland if the band is getting paid and you can subtract it from their payout.

John L Nobile

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 12:15:42 AM »

It's not like I painted a bullseye on the mics lol. He's reading charts, real busy ones,  so his eyes aren't on his kit. I didn't blame him. Shit happens and it wasn't my dime. I think I got replacements for the first two but then the show closed and the money dried up. That was an expensive short run.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »

I've had the screens pop out after a stick hit on the sennheiser e604's; the e904's wouldn't have this problem.  my shre pg56's and beta56's all have stick dents in the metal.....maybe it's just the drummers i work with but they seem to hit them all the time.

i still remember watching my friend set up a live recording rig on a live band.  as he mounted his akg c414's above the toms he kept reminding the drummer that if he were ever going to hit one of his mic's, tonight was not the night!
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Tom Burgess

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »

The specific model to look for is Beta98-AMP.  Shure came out with this version 3 years ago (if memory serves) for this specific application and they are fantastic.  You can buy them individually or in 3-packs.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/beta/beta98amp-miniature-cardioid-drum-microphone

If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »

The specific model to look for is Beta98-AMP.  Shure came out with this version 3 years ago (if memory serves) for this specific application and they are fantastic.  You can buy them individually or in 3-packs.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/beta/beta98amp-miniature-cardioid-drum-microphone

never seen those before.  those are cool...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John L Nobile

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »

I'm really tempted to get 3 of these but our new drummer will be reading charts and not looking at the kit so I gotta question whether they'll take a few hits.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »

I'm really tempted to get 3 of these but our new drummer will be reading charts and not looking at the kit so I gotta question whether they'll take a few hits.

Observe where he hits and don't put mics there. They don't need to be that close. Drums are loud. I see too many mics placed where they might get hit. I always ask the drummer if my mic placement is in their way and err on staying further away.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tom Burgess

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »

never seen those before.  those are cool...
They are really slick.  I first got to use them right after they were released with Jim Riley on a Ludwig Classic maple kit we provided for a clinic he was doing at a teaching / performance studio here in town and was VERY pleased with the results.  I've turned several of my fellow drum and sound junkies on to them since and they've been a hit everywhere they've been tried.

Jim, incidentally, is an excellent musician, clinician, and teacher.  If any PSW'ers out there get the opportunity to see one of his clinics, whether you're a drummer or not, it is well worth whatever time and money it takes to learn from this guy.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

John L Nobile

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »

Observe where he hits and don't put mics there. They don't need to be that close. Drums are loud. I see too many mics placed where they might get hit. I always ask the drummer if my mic placement is in their way and err on staying further away.
DC

I like them close to minimize bleed. I might try them further away now that I have frequency conscious gates

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.