ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Overhead power line tragedy.  (Read 6395 times)

Kevin Graf

Re: Overhead power line tragedy.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »

In one of the safety tests of a medical X-ray table, we were required to short the 150kV high voltage power supply.  We hide behind the portable X-ray shield panels and operated the arm by remote control.  In a 200,000 square foot factory it was a very loud gun shot.
Speedskater

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »

In one of the safety tests of a medical X-ray table, we were required to short the 150kV high voltage power supply.  We hide behind the portable X-ray shield panels and operated the arm by remote control.  In a 200,000 square foot factory it was a very loud gun shot.

Yeah, when we blew up the conduit coupling it really sounded like a bomb went off in the warehouse. There was a block wall between the arc flash and my electricians and me, but it echoed like crazy in the warehouse and we weren't sure what had happened until we went for a walk to takk a look. It blew a big chunk of the conduit coupling a dozen yards right through a corrugated metal wall. I don't think it would have punched through the concrete block wall, but I don't want to repeat this as an experiment. A 600-amp, 3-phase feeder can make a really big arc flash.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.