ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: VRX Clones?  (Read 24798 times)

Mike Sprague

• www.spragueaudioworks.com
Re: VRX Clones?
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »

Wow - tough crowd   :)
I have to say I agree with many of the comments. Laying a box on its side does not make a line array - especially with a 2 way 12" box. But the same can be said for JBL, Mackie, QSC, Peavey and others that make a 2 way 12" box.  But they are decent boxes that fit the bill for small clubs. This is a great industry and it's one place where a do-it-yourselfer can still get the satisfaction of creating something useful. In no way can these compete with a high-end box but they do hold their own for much of what you will find in the "pro-sound" section of most music stores. I've spent many years as an engineer in the aerospace industry and fully understand the resources that a large company can apply to product development - yet even the design of an aircraft requires many compromises; size, weight, power, cost, manufacturability etc.

So I set out to  design a speaker system that would scale up or down depending on the size of club I was playing in - and I feel that I have accomplished that. I also discovered I was better at building speakers than playing bass. Like many others, I have to build things which I feel is good for the soul. And the wife is thumbs down on a RV-7A.

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments and advice. If you are ever in North Texas give me a shout and you can take them for a spin.
Mike Sprague
Sprague Audio Works

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2015, 12:43:18 AM »

Wow - tough crowd   :)
I have to say I agree with many of the comments. Laying a box on its side does not make a line array - especially with a 2 way 12" box. But the same can be said for JBL, Mackie, QSC, Peavey and others that make a 2 way 12" box.  But they are decent boxes that fit the bill for small clubs. This is a great industry and it's one place where a do-it-yourselfer can still get the satisfaction of creating something useful. In no way can these compete with a high-end box but they do hold their own for much of what you will find in the "pro-sound" section of most music stores. I've spent many years as an engineer in the aerospace industry and fully understand the resources that a large company can apply to product development - yet even the design of an aircraft requires many compromises; size, weight, power, cost, manufacturability etc.

So I set out to  design a speaker system that would scale up or down depending on the size of club I was playing in - and I feel that I have accomplished that. I also discovered I was better at building speakers than playing bass. Like many others, I have to build things which I feel is good for the soul. And the wife is thumbs down on a RV-7A.

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments and advice. If you are ever in North Texas give me a shout and you can take them for a spin.

It's amazing how emotion can trump logic.

The Van's RV is a great plane.  What is her objection?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »

Check out www.loudspeakerbuilder.com,  RAM 3000
Ikea speakers!   ;)

You might be able to put the Beyma or P-Audio lenses into that and at least try to have some sembalance of a line array.  Although there are a multitude of other things you'd have to do to make it behave like an engineered LA (providing you agreed with the concept in the first place).

Having built and used an asymmetrical dash some years ago and knowing what engineering work went into that along with the compromises made and resultant performance compromises, that bird has flown the coop.  Unless I could figure a way to make a large excursion planar driver I don't see the point.  All of the manifold concepts have serious drawbacks and I don't see any practical way to control pattern throughout a boxes bandpass in that kind of form factor/application.  Not to mention home brewing the FIR correction that makes a bigger difference in the intelligibility of modern speakers.

dave stanos

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »

I actually built 6 of these and eight of their subs as well.  VERY satisfied with them.

I'd give the thing a 6 so far as a decent homebrew design but considering the number of 5 year old self powered constant curve boxes that will be on offer in the next few years why bother? Just buy quality used with a name brand badge.

Or build your own and use a high power woofer and an actual line array HF element....

As for the homebrew, One could say Danley designs fit somewhere between homebrew and boutique. Well designed, proven within the laws of physics and well built but you will not likely see them next to Mackie at sweetwater. Its not a "mainstream" brand then again you won't see l'accoustic at guitar centre either

JTR also received favorable reviews on here when the initial offerings of Growler and Orbit shifter were brought to market.

We had the discussion in the subwoofer forum last fall, the real homebrew thing is essentially dead so far as pro and semi pro audio, buy new or quality used and spend your time marketing yourself and gigging and charge appropriately, the week building stuff would be better spent working then buy real stuff to make money with.

That said there is a regional company here that is all homebrew stuff. 2 brothers , they are about 60 ish now, still running a rig they made/built 15-20 years ago. the rig is capable of doing arena rock events all jbl drivers SR SRX clones, 2x 18 subs 2x15, 2", ring radiator. Mons are 12am clones crest pro series amps, dbx drives, yamaha 3000 series board foh and mons par can rig with martin 1200 scanners. Everything is long ago paid for , one brother was an electrical engineer the other jack of all trades, consistantly they bill out at $600+ a day depending on the week. again everything paid for decades ago, they bunk in the truck and only accept cash. They know their market and work within it.

I know they are still winning gigs over other providers offering line arrays and full LED movers...at 4x the cost..  theres a market for everything

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber