ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: VRX Clones?  (Read 24796 times)

Stephen Snipes

VRX Clones?
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »

Was on ebay and came across Sprague Audio Works LA112a and was wondering has anyone seen them?  Was thinking of building at last a pair to test them and see how they sound.  Figure if they aren't decent quality I can install them in the garage.

John Penkala

Re: VRX Clones?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »

Was on ebay and came across Sprague Audio Works LA112a and was wondering has anyone seen them?  Was thinking of building at last a pair to test them and see how they sound.  Figure if they aren't decent quality I can install them in the garage.

At first glance, I almost thought the letters routed in the sides said "EAW". I now know that it's "SAW". I'm sure that's a common mistake at first glance.  I wonder how discernable that would look painted black and hung at 15' - 20' in the air?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »

At first glance, I almost thought the letters routed in the sides said "EAW". I now know that it's "SAW". I'm sure that's a common mistake at first glance.  I wonder how discernable that would look painted black and hung at 15' - 20' in the air?
I don't see any fly points on it to hang from.

So after it hits you in the head-you will have a closer look at the logo and know where to start with a law suite.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:36:17 PM »

I don't see any fly points on it to hang from.

So after it hits you in the head-you will have a closer look at the logo and know where to start with a law suite.

I wouldn't even fly them, I'd ground stack if anything.  Can't trust just anyone when it comes to hanging stuff.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:33:10 AM by Stephen Snipes »

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:19:05 PM »

Whomever built the shell seems to have done a good job. I know if it's designed right you can do amazing things on a CNC. So I do give a atta boy on the appearance of the shell.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »

Whomever built the shell seems to have done a good job. I know if it's designed right you can do amazing things on a CNC. So I do give a atta boy on the appearance of the shell.
I don't like the idea of butt joints.

Rabbett and dado joints are much stronger and align the pieces better.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »

I don't like the idea of butt joints.

Rabbett and dado joints are much stronger and align the pieces better.

Isn't the horn also too complicated to construct out of wood?  IIRC it's a two driver horn.

Of course ground stacking line arrays is a waste of time.  I suppose you would use Harmon's tunings in one of their processors.  Enough people do that and don't buy the speakers they will start to license the tunings.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

They've got a websitez.

http://spragueaudioworks.com/

We're looking at an unfinished one; looks like the finished version has rigging (rated? who knows!!) for "flying up to 16 boxes," and sounds like you can change angles, so they're actually a "linez array" as opposed to a "constant curvature array."

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 01:39:11 AM »

I should have the plans soon so I'll get a chance to take a closer look at the inside details of everything.  I wouldn't even trust flying 16 a side.  Just doesn't look too safe to me.  Granted I probably wouldn't use these for live shows (not that I ever do live shows anyway) but for the events I do they just might work.  Pretty sure my 4 EV ZXa5 are capable of covering majority of my events.

Richard Turner

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:34 AM »

Carvin is cutting their "line array" box horn assembly from hard maple with the CNC router. For a short run of product I guess the math works compared to an injection molding machine.

Not sure why they didn't just leave a space for a commercially available HF element. most brands are offering them B&C etc

The mounting frame looks scary

the hanging frame looks worse

Anyone considering them should do the full math, Unless you had some quality drivers on hand in some and a real need for sideways speakers to fool a brainwashed client save your money, buy something real and save yourself the hassle of forever trying to convince everyone that the homebrew is ok enough to get the job done.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.