ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: VRX Clones?  (Read 17742 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: VRX Clones?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 12:44:27 pm »

home brew speaker cabinets are fine.  Home brew rigging not so much.

That is some of the shadiest rigging hardware I have ever seen. If they sell a bunch of these, someone is gonna get hurt, and someone is gonna get sued.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

James A. Griffin

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 09:14:13 pm »

I probably wouldn't use these for live shows (not that I ever do live shows anyway) but for the events I do they just might work.

What's the difference between a live show and an event?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:09:27 pm »

I think you meant to add "in terms of loudspeaker safety and deployment"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 12:19:20 am »

, buy something real and save yourself the hassle of forever trying to convince everyone that the homebrew is ok enough to get the job done.

Hmm, I think Clair might argue with you on this point. 

We have a local provider that for years built their own boxes and was the top player in this market.

Only you know your customers.

BTW, I am defending a principle (that all in house brew should not be dismissed)not the speaker that is the discussion of the thread or anyone's specific business practices.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 12:35:49 am »

Hmm, I think Clair might argue with you on this point. 

We have a local provider that for years built their own boxes and was the top player in this market.

Only you know your customers.

BTW, I am defending a principle (that all in house brew should not be dismissed)not the speaker that is the discussion of the thread or anyone's specific business practices.

I'd assert that Clair can't be called "home brew" in the same sense that a guy building speaker cabinets for his DJ gigs can.

If somebody builds a shitty sounding speaker system, the suffering is transient.  If the same person builds a shitty rigging/suspension system, the ensuing failure will be life-changing for all persons affected.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 01:42:11 am »

If somebody builds a shitty sounding speaker system, the suffering is transient.  If the same person builds a shitty rigging/suspension system, the ensuing failure will be life-changing for all persons affected.

Agree,  I am not qualified to comment on the rigging. 

Be interesting to see the comments once the plans are received.  It's all academic to me. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 06:15:31 am »

No specs on freq response, no polar plots, no pattern response, no phase response, no software...just no!
Oh ..wait...the crossover to the hi is 18 db/oct. And...?
Looks like another example of someone building a "box" and calling it a "line array"
Sheesh ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 06:40:10 am »

No specs on freq response, no polar plots, no pattern response, no phase response, no software...just no!
Oh ..wait...the crossover to the hi is 18 db/oct. And...?
Looks like another example of someone building a "box" and calling it a "line array"
Sheesh ::)

Doubting Thomas, he might have an anechoic chamber and have EASE data on the boxes along with tuning for popular processors.   ::)

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 12:37:30 pm »

To clarify, I mean, I don't do bands or live performances.  I only do sound systems for DJs.  Only about 3 times a year would I even need to really fly a system but even in that case I have guys I can cross rent from. 

From an ROI standpoint, spending the money for the actual VRX (or any "line array") I probably wouldn't see a return for years (5-6).  That along with the fact the main guy I loose gigs to uses 4 dual JRX cabs and 4 MRX dual 18" subs.  Oh and sits a EV Eliminator on top of each side smh.  But anyway, if I could build a small ground stack system to I'd see a return within 2-3 years. 

Quality wise... I'm pretty sure they don't sound as "good" as the VRX (let's face it the VRX is kind of harsh at times without the proper eq).  Would it meet 90% of my clients expectations?  Sadly yes!

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »

Got the plans!  While granted I can't post the plans I can post some general info.  It gives the option to use the Eminence DeltaLite II 2512 or the KappaLite 3012 HO for the woofer, Eminence PSD 2002 or 2013 for the driver, and Eminence PXB21k6 2 way 1.6k for the crossover.

Plans don't include any charts or graphs and I'm pretty sure there aren't any.  Personally I'm not one for graphs anyway since I've seen some speakers look nice on paper and sound bad but it would have been nice to at least see a general idea.  Pretty sure my zxa5 sound better than these lol.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.