ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dmx software with timeline?  (Read 11468 times)

Kyle Malenfant

dmx software with timeline?
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:52:09 AM »

I've been using Elation CompuLive for quite a few years and it has served me well.  One of my favorite features is that I can create a full show on a timeline, dragging and dropping light cues, mp3s, and video files into the software to create a synced show.  The software allows you to scrub and track through offering the ability to make easy adjustments in-sync with each other.

Now I'm looking to upgrade my control software to a more advanced and capable solution.  I'd like to keep the control to software-based solution.  I'd like to keep the price of the software/hardware/interface package to around $3k, no more than $5k.

Most importantly, the software would need to have a scrubbable timeline feature for audio, video, and light cues.  If that's not available, then can a solution be offered that would allow me to scrub the cues across multiple platforms interfaced with each other?

I looked at Qlab but I think that only allows cue-based control, as opposed to real-time scrubbing.

Any suggestions or options available?  I typically use led par lights and intelligent lights, so an effects generator would be most helpful to have as well.

roswell_king

Re: dmx software with timeline?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »

I just got finish a review trashing these guys consoles . But check out Jands . They meet your criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Daws

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »

yup....you will be looking at jands...personally i am not a huge fan for live industry purposes...but its what you wre looking for.

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 08:51:33 AM »

I'd be happy to arrange a Jands Vista demo for you!

www.jandsvista.com
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Sean Schult

• FlashFire Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »

Interesting, I'm going to check out both Elation and Jands now. I currently use LumiDMX for its timeline feature. Although it has served me well, I'm looking for something which will make it easier to adapt to changing layout. Like if I create an effect for the movers to do figure8's on the dancefloor only, then setup somewhere else with a different layout, my old show is useless. There's no easy way to set new boundries, it just has to be reprogrammed. Is there any lighting software which allows the user to setup boundry zones, program cues within them, and the redefine the boundries later and the show would scale to the new positions/dimensions? Hopefully I explained that well enough. The math behind it is pretty simple but I don't know if such a feature exists anywhere.
FlashFire Productions

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »

I can't comment too much on the software side since all the ones I use don't have the media timeline you're looking for, but scaling moving light programs is very easy to do if you're using a platform that supports programming with palettes.  A 'focus' palette acts as a place to store the pan/tilt assignments of moving lights for use in your various presets, sequences, etc.  The way it works (or at least the way I use it), is that all of my pan/tilt sequences are built off focus palettes.  When I arrive at a venue, all I have to do is update a few palettes (which takes all of 5 minutes) and everything automatically scales appropriately.  Now, that's good for effects like a Ballyhoo, but if you want to trace circles, figure 8s, etc, you'll need a platform that has some type of mathematical waveform generator in it.  Luckily, most that do will also let you specify a centerpoint and size (use a focus palette here) and you can adjust all this on the fly in real time.  A lot of this will depend on how your console/software can handle moving lights, but what you're looking for is definitely doable.  Hope this helps!

-Jeff 

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:06:33 PM »

I was about to summon James but he beat me to it.
Vista is a great software whether it's PC only, PC and wing or a full size console.
I was able to pick it up with absolutely no training on it.

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:48:04 AM »

I was about to summon James but he beat me to it.
Vista is a great software whether it's PC only, PC and wing or a full size console.
I was able to pick it up with absolutely no training on it.

Thanks all for the recommendation of Vista. Willbe playing around with the manual and software to check it out.

Jeff, although I'm looking to get away from Compulive, the question you pose is easily answered in that software. If for example you have the cue "figure eight" programmed into a timeline for a venue that has, say, a 50x50 dancefloor and then you change venues which may have a 100'x100' dancefloor the solution is simple. Go back to the cue editor and change the parameters for a larger space. Once saved, the cue in the timeline will automatically reflect the new programming as the name of the cue is the same, therefore referencing back to whatever is stored/updated in that cue.

Sean Schult

• FlashFire Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 12:23:12 PM »

Now, that's good for effects like a Ballyhoo, but if you want to trace circles, figure 8s, etc, you'll need a platform that has some type of mathematical waveform generator in it.

That's just it -- the software I've used in the past all has a waveform/effect generator, but it only calculates the pattern at design time, and once you save the effect, it converts it to a cue list. So the only way to say, edit the size of a circle, would be to change the x/y of every cue in the list to the new correct position. Or just regenerate the effect. I'm looking for something that stores position as a relative value rather than an absolute value, then scales it to a defined area. Along with what Kyle's saying, I realize that editing the cue would take effect everywhere that cue is used (in timeline/sequences, etc). But if I have a show with a few hundred cues, I'm not keen on editing each one of them for every new venue. I really need to find something that will scale them all for me at once.

Is there any software that has focus palettes, scaling, AND a timeline?
FlashFire Productions

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »

Is there any software that has focus palettes, scaling, AND a timeline?

In light of all the responses, I'm interested in this too

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.