ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Software Question - Upgrade time - What do you use? Fit my needs?  (Read 5140 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound

I have went through the last 12 pages on the forums but didn't quite find what I am looking for and appreciate help since this is not my area by any means.  So Bottom line - I used to have a robust lighting rig, moving heads etc - 8 years ago.  But I am a Sound guy by trade and all this new lighting software and hardware, LED's etc has found me a little "out dated" with where technology is at now.

However - my market is slowing pushing my lighting rig to grow.  I have 12 RGBAW that will be here tomorrow.  I have some Blizzard PROPars that are going on the Market and a couple RokBox's I am undecided on keeping.

My old large rig - I had Elation Compulive - I liked it to run the moving heads, click some options and they "looked pretty" (all bar band type stuff, not programming a bunch before hand).  What I didn't like it wasn't real conducive to live light shows (seemed more for programming scenes prior etc, no master fader time control etc, had to be all set up prior, sucked for on the fly adjustments).

The light rig now is going to go out just once or twice a month, and is all LED's.  However my current rig has a smaller standard 24 channel board, so I had to obviously run lights addressed the same which I don't like.  I am purchasing more lights, so its time for an upgrade.

What I would like  $500 or less (don't want to spend money for extra features I will never use, $500 is the most I can do since I just bought all new lights, good or bad, it was a great deal so lights came first) -

PC based (if it is intuitive for live - has a master speed for fades, color wheels for LED's etc) or a hard controller is fine as well.  I really want it to have the ability to grab only certain lights and only change some if possible (lets say grab all ODD number lights and run one chase, and have all EVEN lights flash or something.  Or have half the front lights go to a different color.  If possible to do this on the fly - Say click a group number and then an action?).  Ability to add some other DMX effects lights later down the road - so channel count.

I see elation has "CompuCue" now, and American DJ has my dmx 2.0 (says drag and drop chases etc built in).  I don't want to get into any crazy programming code and from some of the other threads I have read it sounds like some software is like that now.  Is there some others I should look at, or if you use CompuCue or American DJ 2.0 will it fit my needs?

I know you can download and try this stuff, but the reviews are always so spotty and I see others recommending other software saying you can get a cheaper ENTEC dongle to run it or something, but had a hard time exactly understanding that option and if it was even in my price range.  I didn't realize how much compulsive was a pain live until I started using it live if that makes sense?

Thanks for the help and recommendations, and reading my novel......

Jerome Casinger

Re: DMX Software Question - Upgrade time - What do you use? Fit my needs?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:02:46 PM »

Just found out American DJ doesn't have a tap tempo feature.....seriously?  So take that out of the equation.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:07:26 AM »

Chauvet ShowXpress is easy to get started with and can handle changes on the fly pretty well.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:17:51 AM »

I haven't found any computer-based programs that do very well for "on the fly" operation. Even with an external control surface you have to do a lot of advance programming (which is pretty much what you will have to do with any system). I've had very acceptable results with the Elation Showdesigner-series, but even the SD 1 will be bit out of your budget if you buy new.
No matter what you buy you will have to invest some time in programming.
How many fixtures and what type? If you're not using a bunch of moving heads a used SD1 might be just the ticket IF you invest the time to set up your basic programs. You can do a lot of stuff with it on the fly once you get used to it.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

James Feenstra

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »

for 12 RGBAW you could easily get away with Jands Vista within your budget

I'd be happy to demo you the software, it's a free download from www.jandsvista.com but requires a license dongle to output dmx (without one attached your lights will black out for ~5 seconds every ~5 minutes)
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Josh Daws

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »

take a look at martin MPC!...i would write more but im off to a show right now. its a free download, you can use an enttec dongle, or their own. i find it pretty intuitive, and the support in the forums (and over the phone), are amazing!!!

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »

I only have the RGBAW and a couple strobes right now, but I will add a few cheapo DMX effect lights later just to "add" something more than just lights.

I looked at Martin MPC as well as Freestlyer and watched a few video's, to be honest, was a little confusing watching with what all the different options, menus, buttons do.  But it seems if I could learn it, it may work. 

I really loved about the Elation Compulive when I had it, the simple - click a group, use the color wheel, make that group flash, and save it as a scene, repeat and build on.  What I didn't like, was no master fade, so for live that sucked as the fade was manually set when building the scene.

I haven't looked at the ShowXpress until today, I need to watch some videos on it and see about that. 

I have an extra USB programmable keyboard that I plan on "assigning hot keys" to, plus my laptop is a touch screen.  So I hope to have scenes, steps, strobes on off, etc saved on the keyboard and use the laptop for fade control etc.

All this software is nuts to me how different they all are in regards to how they program, have things like "subgroups" (never heard of these in lighting until yesterday and was a little confused), etc etc.  Just a little lost, I know I can learn as long as it isn't to much of a learning curve, but want easy live operation.

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 10:17:29 PM »

I really loved about the Elation Compulive when I had it, the simple - click a group, use the color wheel, make that group flash, and save it as a scene, repeat and build on.  What I didn't like, was no master fade, so for live that sucked as the fade was manually set when building the scene.
]

As a current compulive user, I can tell you there is a master fader as well as page sub faders and cue specific faders. Gotta dig a little deep in the menu structure to find the option but its there.

Josh Daws

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:12:55 AM »

so martin MPC will probably be different to what you would be used to, especially if its computlite. but its going to happen regardless of software platform you choose. the videos are a little bit confusing, but are helpful! as long as you have a basic understanding of light control you will be fine.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:12:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.