ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rider friendly console  (Read 14273 times)

Josh Voyles

Re: Rider friendly console
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »

I'm finding this planned purchase of a new console to be very difficult. Currently I can cover 80% or so of my gigs with the x32 family.  However more recently I am doing many larger shows, both in channel count and rider demands.  I am now renting an M7 or SC48 1-3 times a month. It is hitting the borderline of being a good idea to buy as I have to drive 4hrs round trip for each rental as well plus the $400 rental each time. However, the console market seems really strange right now with few new consoles showing up on/sticking to riders.

Budget-wise I am really in the used M7 or SC48 budget range and those line up well with riders, channel counts,etc. I Definitely need sub $15k.
If it were a console just for me I would go Vi1, but that won't be nearly as rider friendly as I want.

My questions/concerns for you all are:

M7, very long in the tooth. Concerned about this console being at the end of its life. Also concerned that the console only has a couple more years as rider friendly. Also by far one of my least favorite consoles ever made, but for my shows I will just use the x32...
Price is right however and is currently very rider friendly

SC48
Concerned about Avid and the support of this console. Also an aging console. I am thinking it will have 3-5 more years on the b list riders (which is more than my m7 guess). More at the top of my budget but I like the features and I personally love the console.

Am I missing any other contenders? I would love an SD9, but that's way out of budget. I am also ok waiting another year, I can always buy more lights this year, they don't sound as good but they seem to make more money!

Thanks!

Eric, It looks like the Pro2C may be a viable option.

However, I think you might also be  interested in the QL desks.

Here a short justification I did on our end that goes over features that I think are important.

Yamaha QL/CL justification over LS9/M7

Built-in Dante: Seamlessly network multiple dante devices. 64x64 digital IO. Built-in redundancy for all Dante devices. Added Bonus — Dante Virtual Sound Card let’s you record/playback 64 inputs via your computers ethernet port for recordings, virtual sound check and rehearsals. Yamaha CL series comes with Nuendo Live and allows for “easy record” function. Additionally, built-in Dante frees up the card slots for use with other cards such as Waves Soundgrid. (CL Requires RIO stage boxes and gigabit network switch for redundancy)

Dante integration with Shure Wireless: A lot of engineers prefer Shure wireless. Why not keep it all digital with redundancy?

Separate analog gain from digital gain with gain tracings: Along with improved quality preamps, you can improve S/N ratio without affecting channel input level and manage gain across multiple consoles.

Premium Rack: Additional 8U rack with important Dynamic EQ, LA-2A and 1176 with the added bonus and Neve modeled hardware.

Scribble Strips: Organize, name and color your channels. It eliminates tape and allows for easy identification for a single fader controlling multiple channels.

Touchscreen (Over LS9) for quick navigation.
Improved Layout Feel
More GEQ and FX
Easy Input/Output patch recall: Recall routing for virtual soundcheck w/o having to write a focused scene.
Size/Weight (Over M7CL)

Yamaha CL justification over QL:

Comes with Nuendo Live and better integration for VSC and recording.
External PSU option: Never worry about your PSU failing when you have a backup.
Optional Meter bridge for managing output.
Tactile control keys: Navigate the console quicker.
16 GEQ over 8 on the QL
More user defined keys
Channel Encoders
Individual channel banks: Access any layer including custom layer on any bank of your faders w/o affecting the other banks.
3 card slots vs 2 card slots

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »

I Definitely need sub $15k.
Can a CL package for 48 inputs meet the OPs price point?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 07:12:26 PM »

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »

QL5 will get him there easily. Yamaha is currently offering a free RIO with the purchase of a CL5 or QL5:

http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/riopromo/
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, I pleasantly ended up on some unexpected gigs, so have been absent from my own thread.

To the CL/QL argument, I'm just not confident enough that they are sticking around yet. The M7 can be had pretty cheaply, seems to be at least half the price of the QL5.
The other issue with new Yamaha's is the ridiculous price of the Rio boxes. That's an expensive console once you get into 2 of the big Rio boxes.

The Midas Pro2 is an option and I agree it is starting to see acceptance, the problem there is one of my main clients hates that board and from my very limited experience it is not a good monitor desk.

I do have analog infrastructure, splits, etc to support 48 channels, however using the x32's I never use those beasts.

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »

The Midas Pro2 is an option and I agree it is starting to see acceptance, the problem there is one of my main clients hates that board and from my very limited experience it is not a good monitor desk.

You need more experience with it then... I would much rather spend the day on a monitors on a Pro2 than an M7 or SC48.  Most people who really hate the Pro2 either had one that was not properly setup or fought it and tried to use it like a Venue console.  Of course if that engineer hates it uses a ton of plugins then he is right... it does really suck for that.  In the last year we have had a ton of people come in and step up to the console dreading it... they usually leave happy.  After you grab the gain and dial it up most people start coming around.  On the flipside setting one up fresh is probably one of the more frustrating experience I have ever had.  Every time I open that patch screen I die a little inside... it has one of the least intuitive patch GUI's ever.  When the console comes out of the box nothing is patched and there are no default scenes.   
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »

If a "main client" hates a particular desk, then that's a pretty decent reason to strike that desk from the list.

If you want to stay in business then arguing over which console sounds best is stupid. Buy the one that sounds good enough (and they pretty much all do nowadays) and that meets the needs of your clients at a price you can afford.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »

If a "main client" hates a particular desk, then that's a pretty decent reason to strike that desk from the list.

If you want to stay in business then arguing over which console sounds best is stupid. Buy the one that sounds good enough (and they pretty much all do nowadays) and that meets the needs of your clients at a price you can afford.

This.

At the LAB level, a console is a sound tool used to make money.  Buy what is accepted by the majority of users and hire in for the exceptions.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »

You need more experience with it then... I would much rather spend the day on a monitors on a Pro2 than an M7 or SC48.  Most people who really hate the Pro2 either had one that was not properly setup or fought it and tried to use it like a Venue console.  Of course if that engineer hates it uses a ton of plugins then he is right... it does really suck for that.  In the last year we have had a ton of people come in and step up to the console dreading it... they usually leave happy.  After you grab the gain and dial it up most people start coming around.  On the flipside setting one up fresh is probably one of the more frustrating experience I have ever had.  Every time I open that patch screen I die a little inside... it has one of the least intuitive patch GUI's ever.  When the console comes out of the box nothing is patched and there are no default scenes.

This is part of my problem with the Pro2, I like how intuitive the patching and setup on the Avid desks is, and I worked on 01v's and LS9's so much I feel I "speak Yamaha" pretty well.

I think I have found my answer, more moving lights it is, people like the shiny objects....

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 02:56:17 AM »

I'd rather patch a Pro2 than an X32.  Though I think I prefer the Yamaha matrix patch sheet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 02:56:17 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.