ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rider friendly console  (Read 14271 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Rider friendly console
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »

I'm finding this planned purchase of a new console to be very difficult. Currently I can cover 80% or so of my gigs with the x32 family.  However more recently I am doing many larger shows, both in channel count and rider demands.  I am now renting an M7 or SC48 1-3 times a month. It is hitting the borderline of being a good idea to buy as I have to drive 4hrs round trip for each rental as well plus the $400 rental each time. However, the console market seems really strange right now with few new consoles showing up on/sticking to riders.

Budget-wise I am really in the used M7 or SC48 budget range and those line up well with riders, channel counts,etc. I Definitely need sub $15k.
If it were a console just for me I would go Vi1, but that won't be nearly as rider friendly as I want.

My questions/concerns for you all are:

M7, very long in the tooth. Concerned about this console being at the end of its life. Also concerned that the console only has a couple more years as rider friendly. Also by far one of my least favorite consoles ever made, but for my shows I will just use the x32...
Price is right however and is currently very rider friendly

SC48
Concerned about Avid and the support of this console. Also an aging console. I am thinking it will have 3-5 more years on the b list riders (which is more than my m7 guess). More at the top of my budget but I like the features and I personally love the console.

Am I missing any other contenders? I would love an SD9, but that's way out of budget. I am also ok waiting another year, I can always buy more lights this year, they don't sound as good but they seem to make more money!

Thanks!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Rider friendly console
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »

SC48
Concerned about Avid and the support of this console. Also an aging console. I am thinking it will have 3-5 more years on the b list riders (which is more than my m7 guess). More at the top of my budget but I like the features and I personally love the console.

Am I missing any other contenders? I would love an SD9, but that's way out of budget. I am also ok waiting another year, I can always buy more lights this year, they don't sound as good but they seem to make more money!

IMO, you have your answer. If you feel the market is simply in a weird place right now (to which I would agree) and can wait another year, then go ahead and save/use that money for some other money making items.

But if you think now is the time for you to step up your console game, I agree the SC48 is a solid choice. You already like the console and it's still very rider friendly--much more so than the M7.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:19:53 AM »

I really, really like mixing on Venue systems.  The continued speculation about AVID's future doesn't help the brand, but neither does failing to deliver a live-format replacement for the current system.  No, the S3L ain't it... a useful tool but not a replacement for a full surface.

We're also a Yamaha shop and have 2 M7 in inventory.  I'm not privy to when it might go EOL but that it will go, eventually, is certain.  If you can find a re-fadered M7-48 for <$13k, consider it.  You can't get a decent, used SC48 for anywhere close to that.

If you need to spend money, lights are still good investments.  I'm partial to things that can become line-items on an invoice, but you have to have the support infrastructure (cables, cases, control or dimming, etc), too.

Sometimes your best investment is $1000 worth of casters...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:31:29 AM »

Well, at least your making a killer return on those X32's.  Have you look at Midas?  They are on a lot of riders and are gaining steam... It will give you a few more years then the Avid gear. 

Killer price here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1032032&gclid=CjwKEAiAx4anBRDz6JLYjMDxoQYSJAA4loRmQPRJxobUQriXl1VN1ZfIAx0GbE3jtogQzfZO3XV8jRoCdizw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

No idea if that is an incorrect item or something like that but it is MUCH cheaper then I paid a little over a year ago. 

Buying either of those consoles kind of sucks right now unless you can amortize it within 2 years.  The resale won't be there so you will be stuck with it.  We used to see Avid desks constantly... seems in the last year that has really changed.   

Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:52:04 AM »

I'm partial to things that can become line-items on an invoice, but you have to have the support infrastructure (cables, cases, control or dimming, etc), too.

Sometimes your best investment is $1000 worth of casters...

You speak my language Tim. Less time and energy expended packing/moving/assembling a show equals more time and energy available for the creative end of things.

Guy Morris

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »

Avid SC48 would normally win over an M7 but longevity support is now a criteria. Everyone can use an M7 and it is also a good choice for monitors within the right market. I think Yamaha have a strong position in the digital desk market both financialy and product wise with support for older models and a very good range of new product which brings a lot of useful features together putting the CL and QL series firmly in the frame now. I have an M7 which still gets used but my QL is out all the time and if I were looking to replace the M7 it would be a CL. It all depends on your market and how rider driven it really is, I have a good laugh at some of the corporate/ wedding band riders that come in asking for desks that are more at home on a stadium event (ego is a growing issue with these types) and then we go and do a principal artist event where they are happy to have an M7 on FOH and the BE requested an SC48 for monitors. Everyone was happy 'all night long'  :)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »

At $400/rental twice a month, for a year and a half, that is around the price of an M7.
While it is a bit old, they are solid consoles and pretty much everyone is familiar with them.
When it comes to consoles, no matter what you have, someone will want something different. ::)
Perhaps you could continue to cross rent, see how your market goes, and get the good $$ return on using the X32.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »

Why not a Yamaha Ql5?  I prefer the QL to an M7.  They have an intuitive workflow and sound quite good.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »

What else are you going to have to buy if you get a m7 or sc48?  Do you already own a 48 channel analog snake?  If you're going to have to buy into that infrastructure (as well as cases and truck space) then I'd look hard at saving your money for a digital snake option.

jason misterka

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »

Why not a Yamaha Ql5?  I prefer the QL to an M7.  They have an intuitive workflow and sound quite good.

I agree but with reservations.  He would have to be able to have enough stagebox to do 48 ins.  I assume that means buying a Rio as well?  I'm not sure the pricing. Does that stay within budget?

I haven't seen a SC48 going for much less than $16K used.  Plus the OP would need the snake or the Stage48 add-on.  Also a spilt.

In my opinion, if you need to meet riders the Avid Profile / SC48 is still top dog. Bands who carry their own consoles have diversified in the last few years but the Avid consoles meet most riders.

When we can, I offer a tour their choice of our inventory. These days  it is 50/50 if they chose SC48 or PRO2 at FOH.  Often they will choose M7 for monitors.  Many times the choice simply comes down to if they have a file for the desk.

But I'm surprised that the OP can get away with only one large format console.  What is typically on the other end of the snake?

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.