ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Undercover Boss  (Read 31441 times)

Guy Graham

Re: Undercover Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »

I found the episode on the CBS website but it won't let me watch it from here.  Does anyone know of another site I could wtch it from?

Steve.

Steve - I'm watching it on YouTube right now. Search "Undercover Boss Peavey" and find a 42min result. Works fine on my UK 1st gen iPad!

The rest of the results (mostly 50+ mins) are just dodgy links to streaming. PM me if you can't find the working version.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:30:34 AM »

Agreed. PR nightmare, and Hartley should be ashamed.

I know a rep that was hired away from a good regional rep firm to work for Peavey factory direct.  He left after being there only a short time because, in his words, "they are now only an importer".  That's a shame.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »

Steve - I'm watching it on YouTube right now. Search "Undercover Boss Peavey" and find a 42min result.
Found it (eventually).  Thanks.

Steve.

Lester Seidenberg

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »

I saw it too.  Was Harman a sponsor?

Guy Graham

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »

Found it (eventually).  Thanks.

Steve.

Glad to be of help. I spent so long trying to find a working link, I ended up only able to watch up to the farcical gig in the shop at first. Thankfully it's now still working.

I didn't see anywhere that explained what excuse they used for the cameras to follow him, after they moved on to the factory floor - did I miss something, or would regular viewers know the type of techniques used to explain their presence to the unwitting staff members?

Obviously staff knowing they're being filmed changes their behaviour, though it didn't stop them blaming the Peavey mic, when the issues with the gig seemed more to do with poor technique.

As per previous comments - from what I saw so far, it doesn't do Peavey any favours from a PR perspective. I guess it was quite ballsy to risk doing the show in the first place, so credit where it's due!

I would love to see Uli Behringer do the same at "Behringer City" - but after the recent Panorama Apple exposé, that's probably unlikely. It would be funny to see footage from the console department, where in the background a big counter ticks over to 1,000,001 and a huge cheer goes up ;)

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »

Can anyone tell me what a Peavey Media Matrix is? That's what that gal was testing. I've never heard of it.

It looked like she was assembling the boards in a chassis, testing them, and then disassembling them and putting them in a plastic sealer on a rolling rack. The whole process looked horribly inefficient, and Hartley's CEO son-in-law seemed to have no clue as to what they were even doing.

If Hartley thought this would be good promo for his company he was horribly mistaken.

Lester Seidenberg

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »

Can anyone tell me what a Peavey Media Matrix is? That's what that gal was testing. I've never heard of it.

It looked like she was assembling the boards in a chassis, testing them, and then disassembling them and putting them in a plastic sealer on a rolling rack. The whole process looked horribly inefficient, and Hartley's CEO son-in-law seemed to have no clue as to what they were even doing.

If Hartley thought this would be good promo for his company he was horribly mistaken.

Networked Audio Control System  Looked to be this.
http://www.peaveycommercialaudio.com/products.cfm/mm/Audio-Networking/CAB-Series/CAB-4n-CM2
I don't think even Radio Shack could have blown it  this much.   

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »

Definitely a big mistake to agree to making the programme when business is not good.

Steve.

Gus Housen

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »

It was brutally hard to watch, made the whole organization look like tools.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »

Yup that was probably a BOB (break out box) for the computerized sound system controller. One of the few products that makes sense to assemble in the US. The install customers need timely delivery and the SKUs are not low cost.

That was not an entry level job (IMO). and the board that he fried while testing was probably worth more than a days pay if he was an actual employee.

She seemed competent but even she didn't know what it was.
Those were anti-static bags and you could see the anti-static strap on Cortlands arm. That is the proper way to handle them. Those boards were probably fabricated outside and needed to be tested before final assembly or perhaps for sale as repair parts.   

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity but I think that show might qualify.

Ironically perhaps this doesn't reflect Peavey's business success. How many large scale US manufacturing operations are there left in the MI sound business? But why showcase that very unpopular reality on national TV? The workers are not idiots so have seen this play out in slow motion over the last couple decades.

This wouldn't be news if it didn't happen to Peavey on national TV. Can't put that one back inside the bottle. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.