ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ashley NE8800 FIR  (Read 2617 times)

Thomas Lamb

Ashley NE8800 FIR
« on: February 15, 2015, 06:53:54 PM »

I'm working through the software trying to learn the abilities of this unit. It's pretty standard until I get to the FIR filter. When I click on it it says FIR source file name not available. You can click select FIR file and it takes you to a file tree where there are no preset files available. The manual is less than helpful and I've googled looking for the file types. I know there is something completely obvious here I am missing.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
Re: Ashley NE8800 FIR
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »

I'm working through the software trying to learn the abilities of this unit. It's pretty standard until I get to the FIR filter. When I click on it it says FIR source file name not available. You can click select FIR file and it takes you to a file tree where there are no preset files available. The manual is less than helpful and I've googled looking for the file types. I know there is something completely obvious here I am missing.

The block is looking for a user-generated list of tab-delimited FIR coefficients with a .fir or .csv file extension.  It will accept up to 384 coefficients at a 48 kHz sample rate. AFMG's FIRmaker is but one program that can generate FIRs.  See http://firmaker.afmg.eu/

It is admittedly not necessarily for a casual user. It's primarily intended for loudspeaker manufacturers who have the tools to generate the proper data.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »

The block is looking for a user-generated list of tab-delimited FIR coefficients with a .fir or .csv file extension.  It will accept up to 384 coefficients at a 48 kHz sample rate. AFMG's FIRmaker is but one program that can generate FIRs.  See http://firmaker.afmg.eu/

It is admittedly not necessarily for a casual user. It's primarily intended for loudspeaker manufacturers who have the tools to generate the proper data.

The coefficients are integers that are mathematically integrated with a sample (called a tap) that produce the correct response for the filter.  It actually is a very old technology.  Was used in software data modems 30 years ago.  With DSP's dedicated to processing the equations you can build devices like the 8800, it simply awes me. 

This is just a WAG based on my engineering background but I don't think you can improve on the data provided by the manufacturer even if you had the software to generate the coefficients.  The designers have access to manufacturing data on the parts, monte carlo analysis on the tolerances and measurements taken with task designed test equipment in known acoustic environments.   It's not "tweakable".

If I am wrong I am very confident someone will point it out!
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.