ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 channel BNC cables for RF  (Read 1362 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
2 channel BNC cables for RF
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:02:12 pm »

I am not sure if this is a no-no type cabling situation... but Is there a manufacture making a 2 channel BNC, 50 Ohm cable for Wireless Antennas?  Or a Multi Channel BNC/50 Ohm cable?

Heres what I am thinking:  I am wanting to build the RF rack based on the 6 pc CORE band (2 Wireless Mics & 3 Transmitters for 6 mono IEM mixes) and then I want to build a small supplemental rack for when we have horns at the event and that rack will consist of 2 Wireless Horn Mics and 1 IEM Transmitter (2 more mixes).  Its not a problem to throw the 4th Transmitter into the band rack, but I'd rather save a space/weight for the other 2 mic rack units and run a small BNC snake to plug into the Antenna Distros.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: 2 channel BNC cables for RF
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:01:17 pm »

I am not sure if this is a no-no type cabling situation... but Is there a manufacture making a 2 channel BNC, 50 Ohm cable for Wireless Antennas?  Or a Multi Channel BNC/50 Ohm cable?

Heres what I am thinking:  I am wanting to build the RF rack based on the 6 pc CORE band (2 Wireless Mics & 3 Transmitters for 6 mono IEM mixes) and then I want to build a small supplemental rack for when we have horns at the event and that rack will consist of 2 Wireless Horn Mics and 1 IEM Transmitter (2 more mixes).  Its not a problem to throw the 4th Transmitter into the band rack, but I'd rather save a space/weight for the other 2 mic rack units and run a small BNC snake to plug into the Antenna Distros.

I've seen exactly what you're looking for, but only in 75 ohm cable. We have some at work, it's essentially 2 RG6 in a dumbell configuration, and it's typically used with satellite dish systems. It's cheap and it's a pain to coil, but it's intended for install use so I guess that doesn't matter so much. We also have nice 5 and 10 channel Belden RG6. That stuff is in a round overall jacket, which makes it easy to coil, but it's heavy and the diameter is very large, especially on the 10 channel.

The 2 channel 75 ohm RG6 would likely work fine for your project, despite not being the "right" cable for the job. The problem is that all the 2 channel stuff I've seen tends to be really cheap (it's intended for residential satellite dishes, after all), and not something that I'd use in a professional situation. I do occasionally use RG6 in places I "shouldn't", like for wireless antennas, but it's quality RG6. And it works fine.

That said, I've never seen, nor do I know of any 50 ohm multi cable. Not 2 channel, 5, 10, or otherwise.

I think your best bet would be to either heat shrink a couple cables together, or use braided sleeving and make a nice loom. Myself, I'd probably go for the braided sleeving. It looks nice and it's easier to change cables out if you need to.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: 2 channel BNC cables for RF
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:01:17 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.