ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chasing loudspeaker-level Crosstalk  (Read 5894 times)

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Chasing loudspeaker-level Crosstalkt
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 09:54:22 am »

tens of kOhm is effectively open circuit for speaker impedance loads.

If the signals are clean at the amp, and crosstalk occurs at the speaker end, it must be something. I ASSUme speaker grounds are similarly tens of K impedance separated?

JR

Speaker grounds are 100+kohm to each other

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 10:07:18 am »

Speaker grounds are 100+kohm to each other

If I understand your measurements that means the grounds are not common so crosstalk should not be from that path.

Troubleshooting involves divide and conquer. so how about removing another variable.

Connect one side amp to speaker. Connect the other pair of wires to other speaker. At the amp end of that other pair shirt the two wires to each other but do not connect them to the amp. 

Does the crosstalk go away... If not the wires are the guilty playa...

JR 
Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 10:01:05 am »

If I understand your measurements that means the grounds are not common so crosstalk should not be from that path.

Troubleshooting involves divide and conquer. so how about removing another variable.

Connect one side amp to speaker. Connect the other pair of wires to other speaker. At the amp end of that other pair shirt the two wires to each other but do not connect them to the amp. 

Does the crosstalk go away... If not the wires are the guilty playa...

JR

I'm 99.9% convinced the cabling is at fault, but will short one side (not the amp!) Monday and have a look.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 11:29:48 am »

I'm 99.9% convinced the cabling is at fault, but will short one side (not the amp!) Monday and have a look.

While it seems unlikely (to me), if speaker level current is being induced into the wires, shorting them at the amp end will replicate the low output impedance of the amp but completely without any possible amp signal, This will prove that it isn't crosstalk inside the amp but being induced into the wiring.

Good luck

JR
Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.