ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I-Nuke NU4-6000 not per website  (Read 22781 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: I-Nuke NU4-6000 not per website
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »

Probably nobody cares much about this amp, but I saw Art's post on its decent power output in another thread, and thought I'd give it a try....

So I thought this amp with four channels and built in 100hz crossover might make a real easy cheap setup. One amp, disposable mixer, no x-over.....let the beer fly

1)My idea was to use one pair of linked channels for LF, and one pair for HF. That would even allow level control to balance the mains to subs with nothing else needed.

But the actual unit delivered is different.  Each pair of channels has a crossover slider with only 2 positions.....  Full-Range - Split. 
2) Which means A is high, B is Low, etc for C&D).
This works somewhat, but since gain on both A & B is controlled by the A pot only, there is no relative level adjustment between mains and subs.
3)And it's not clear how, or if it's even possible to use both bridge and crossover....
Mark,
1) You can't use the crossover and bridged mode at the same time, you can have a stereo pair of A/B and C/D each with the 100 Hz crossover.
2) The gain controls only work independently when set to stereo.
3) Clearly not ;^(.

Coming from the era of 5 way binding posts on virtually all amps the most confusing thing for me was dealing with the Speakon connectors, I had to make up a dozen Speakon to banana "normal" and 3 "bridge" Speakons to be able to use the three amps in all the usual configurations I anticipate with the various speakers I own.

It was a lot of work, and 14 adapters that would not have been needed if there were 5 way binding posts, but for the average user saves time. At $350 a pop hard to complain about the little details,  the performance of the amp is spectacular for the price.

Art
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:28:56 AM by Art Welter »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

Mark,
1) You can't use the crossover and bridged mode at the same time, you can have a stereo pair of A/B and C/D each with the 100 Hz crossover.
3) Clearly not ;^(.

Coming from the era of 5 way binding posts on virtually all amps the most confusing thing for me was dealing with the Speakon connectors, I had to make up a dozen Speakon to banana "normal" and 3 "bridge" Speakons to be able to use the three amps in all the usual configurations I anticipate with the various speakers I own.

It was a lot of work, and 14 adapters that would not have been needed if there were 5 way binding posts, but for the average user saves time. At $350 a pop hard to complain about the little details,  the performance of the amp is spectacular for the price.

Art

Does that mean the OP could fix this with a couple of XLR Wyes? Split signal going into A&B, turn on crossovers, enjoy gain control via front panel?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »

Does that mean the OP could fix this with a couple of XLR Wyes? Split signal going into A&B, turn on crossovers, enjoy gain control via front panel?

I think it will work just fine with L connected to Input-A and R to Input-C, with both mode switches set to stereo and both crossover switches set to split.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »

I think it will work just fine with L connected to Input-A and R to Input-C, with both mode switches set to stereo and both crossover switches set to split.

Hi,  when mode is set to stereo the crossover has no effect, either on or off.
So you simply get 4 independent full-range channels with both mode switches set to stereo.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »

Hi,  when mode is set to stereo the crossover has no effect, either on or off.
So you simply get 4 independent full-range channels with both mode switches set to stereo.

Well then. Back to buying another pair of subs for +6dB of gain matching!  8)
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »

Mark,
3) Clearly not ;^(.

Art

Art, yep, it is what it is.....I was just hoping from the depiction of the 3 position x-over switches on the web that the x-over settings might come before the mode switch...like what I could do with a real x-over haha.
Oh well, I need to either get 2 more subs like Tim said, or just let main/sub balance fall to eq .....or put a frigging x-over in ;D
But you're right, it is a great value....
mark

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 07:47:35 PM »

Possible solution......

You could run the tops on channel A & B in full range and then link the subs together on channel D with the crossover on. This will allow you to at least control level and you could send the sub signal via an aux?
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 02:30:52 AM »

I'm curious to see what the configuration on mine is.   I only use it to power up four floor monitors, and haven't ever compared the input switching to what the web images have.    I'll check it out this afternoon at home and post up what I find.   (not that it's THAT helpful for you...)

Hi Greg, how is the NU4 holding up for monitors.  I have about a dozen decent 12" monitor wedges and I was thinking of picking up one of these amps and rack it up with an x32 rack.  Send it out with a pair of kw181's and 122's on top for a decent 'b" system that with a proper connection panel in the front of the rack will be easier to setup than the powered monitors.

The construction is cheap but it looks like it would hold up for local rentals.

A report would be appreciated.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Greg Martin

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:31:21 AM »

Quite well, frankly.   It's been rack mounted it's whole life (about a year now) and is used for my band and for me running sound for others.  Plenty of volume for rock stages, and durable enough to live in a mobile-only system.  The faceplate is a bit cheesy looking and plasticy, but there's nothing in the build of the actual chassis that makes me worry about loading the rack in and out of places.   Sure, it's my own equipment so there's an extra ounce of prevention, but I wouldn't expect rampant damage if rented out.   The fact that it weighs 11 pounds makes moving a rack so much easier that there's probably less chance of someone botching something; less force upon impact, too...

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »

Possible solution......

You could run the tops on channel A & B in full range and then link the subs together on channel D with the crossover on. This will allow you to at least control level and you could send the sub signal via an aux?

Thx Luke, yep, but I guess that would leave the subs pretty under powered..

I've decided to just give in and use an old x-over.... x-over HP to stereo  A & B mains, x-over LP to C&D in either mono or bridge...

Disappointing not to have an all-in-one solution as potentially available from online documentation....but the dang amp still represents the cheapest way I can find to power the old boxes...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.