ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what are these transmitters?  (Read 2755 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
what are these transmitters?
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:38:27 pm »

I was futzing about with my scanner and came across these transmitters and can't figure out what they are.
395-410 MHz
I'm in Toronto, near the lake and local airport. Some kind of aircraft or ship location beacons?

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
Re: what are these transmitters?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »

I was futzing about with my scanner and came across these transmitters and can't figure out what they are.
395-410 MHz
I'm in Toronto, near the lake and local airport. Some kind of aircraft or ship location beacons?
The government is your friend.  When is the last you heard that?

401.7279 MHz is Environment Canada and the ones just above 406 MHz are health related.

Link to database results. http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/web_search.geographical_results

Andre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:40:57 pm »

401.7279 MHz is Environment Canada and the ones just above 406 MHz are health related.

Link to database results. http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/web_search.geographical_results

Andre

But the rest of the evenly spread signals...  I'm guessing some kind of trunked or FHSS communications.  It's covering about 15MHz...

In the USA I recall when we had "alphabet soup agencies" whose operating frequencies had names, not numbers, but their allocations were just a few MHz above Keith's observation, and 35 years ago.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:56:58 pm »

Andre
So friendly the link comes up 404  ::)
I think there are some police radio antennas on the next building so that might be the FHSS freqs I'm seeing.
Maybe they are listening to me  ;D

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:59:57 pm »

I think there are some police radio antennas on the next building so that might be the FHSS freqs I'm seeing.

They're bombarding you.  Tinfoil hat.  Get one.  /nudge, wink
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:20:29 pm »

Here is (hopefully) a functioning link to the database search page.  I tried it from my post and it appears to work, with the criteria that I used for my initial query.

http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/web_search.geographical_input

Andre
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:22:41 pm by Andre Vare »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »

Here is (hopefully) a functioning link to the database search page.  I tried it from my post and it appears to work, with the criteria that I used for my initial query.

http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/web_search.geographical_input

Andre
That works! Interesting site.
However, the search results didn't indicate anything that made sense.
The level of these TXs seem very much the same so I would figure they are in a similar location.
Oh well...no big deal,,,just have to find my tinfoil hat  :D

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:40:34 pm »

395-410 MHz

Hi Keith,

What SA hardware are you using with Invisible Waves?  At -108 dB, one begins to consider LO mixing and image artifacts, and the hardware specs become more critical for measurement accuracy.  Just wonderin'.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 11:59:47 pm »

Hi Keith,

What SA hardware are you using with Invisible Waves?  At -108 dB, one begins to consider LO mixing and image artifacts, and the hardware specs become more critical for measurement accuracy.  Just wonderin'.

That low a level and the spacing indicated some sort of heterodyne or even mechanical noise product.  It's two widely spaced to be a digital carrier.  Also from experience that's now what CDMA looks like either.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 10:03:20 am »

395-410 MHz

I get something like this when my computer is near the antenna.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
peter@bestaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 10:03:20 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.