ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Economical Earset mic recommendations  (Read 8156 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Economical Earset mic recommendations
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 11:10:46 am »

The biggest problem I have seen with almost all of the EarSet mics is they seem to be built for people with huge heads. And I find it very hard to get the mic far enough back (about an inch) from the corner of the mouth to work the way I want them to. So if you get one that canít be bent to fit better like some reviews of the Pyle mics say, how are you going to use it? I know that you can buy the E6 in a shorter version. And as I understand they will make it any length that you want but then if you donít like it, it isnít returnable like the stock sizes. Also I am pretty sure that the stock ones arenít as long as they used to be. But still too long for a lot of people I work with. Microphone Madness will also make them shorter if you want, or I should say last time I talked to them (a while ago) they said they would. I also understand that the MM is available in a version with a stiffer part that goes over the ear. And just looking at their website that may be how the latest one comes. So one of these days I have to order a shortened MM with the stiffer ear part to try it out.

One thing I find a bit weird about EarSet mics I find we have to tape them to peopleís faces to get them to stay in place. I can fit one to my ear so it feels very stable and like it wouldnít need to be taped. But I canít do that on anyone else. All I can guess is I can feel how it feels on myself but since I canít feel that on another person, I just canít get it to fit perfectly. When we do tape them we use 3M Transpore tape and then use concealer stick (make up) to blend the tape to the skin color. Be careful because the type of concealer that you spray on a foam sponge and then blend will dissolve the glue of the Transpore tape.

If they offered a small head version of the Pyle mics I would try them out and would love to have a usable mic that I could consider expendable.

I've become convinced that you really have to custom bend these mics to each individual and then ONLY that person ever uses that mic again.  Which if you've got a number of different people speaking on a regular basis can get expensive.  That's why i've moved away from the pricier alternatives for headset mics and pretty much always recommend the MM or Cheap Pyle mics for most applications.

I usually have a few mics that i keep on hand for the one off person that i bend the crap out of and then replace in a year.  otherwise, it's one mic, one person.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:22 pm »

I've become convinced that you really have to custom bend these mics to each individual and then ONLY that person ever uses that mic again.  Which if you've got a number of different people speaking on a regular basis can get expensive.  That's why i've moved away from the pricier alternatives for headset mics and pretty much always recommend the MM or Cheap Pyle mics for most applications.

I usually have a few mics that i keep on hand for the one off person that i bend the crap out of and then replace in a year.  otherwise, it's one mic, one person.
You seem to indicate that you bend the Pyle mics to fit but a lot of reviews I read indicate that they canít be bent without breaking them. Is your experience different?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 02:55:54 pm »

You seem to indicate that you bend the Pyle mics to fit but a lot of reviews I read indicate that they canít be bent without breaking them. Is your experience different?

I've been able to bend or otherwise manipulate the Chinese cheap ies I've used in the past. I'm assuming they are the same as the Pyle units.

It is pretty much a one time only thing however. Bend it twice in the same place and it'll probably break.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

David Kaiser

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 11:22:10 pm »

I have had Countryman E6, AudioTechnica BP894, OSP HS06 and 09, YPA HSO6, and Samson SE10 and 50. I have used an OSP HS06 on multiple speakers with no particular placement or windscreen, for sound reinforcement and recording, with excellent results. I have a backup Samson SE10 with a wired preamp for backup. The OSP mics are available in several different brands. Avlex, OSP, JTS, and Samson. The Samson brand come in a very nice carrying case that can hold the bodypack, spare cables, and windscreens for under 200 dollars. The JTS and YPA models are the lowest priced of these mics that I have seen, usually on Ebay.
I have never had a problem with these mics loosing position. The HS09 has a nub that fits under the earlobe that helps lock it in place. The replace ment cables are only 25 dollars and readily available fron Samson or Sigler Music. The SE10/50 comes with a retaining strap and clothing clip. I really like these mics. I would also like to try the Pyle mics, but hare not found an Audiotechnica Hirose version.

chuck clark

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 02:54:53 am »

I have had Countryman E6, AudioTechnica BP894, OSP HS06 and 09, YPA HSO6, and Samson SE10 and 50. I have used an OSP HS06 on multiple speakers with no particular placement or windscreen, for sound reinforcement and recording, with excellent results. I have a backup Samson SE10 with a wired preamp for backup. The OSP mics are available in several different brands. Avlex, OSP, JTS, and Samson. The Samson brand come in a very nice carrying case that can hold the bodypack, spare cables, and windscreens for under 200 dollars. The JTS and YPA models are the lowest priced of these mics that I have seen, usually on Ebay.
I have never had a problem with these mics loosing position. The HS09 has a nub that fits under the earlobe that helps lock it in place. The replace ment cables are only 25 dollars and readily available fron Samson or Sigler Music. The SE10/50 comes with a retaining strap and clothing clip. I really like these mics. I would also like to try the Pyle mics, but hare not found an Audiotechnica Hirose version.

Glad to see someone else mention the JTS brand as I too have had good results with it.  Love the replaceable cable and they seem to tolerate a good bit of bending without breaking.
Chuck

Chris Eddison

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 04:11:14 am »

I've recently had the problem of some of my Proel (same as Pyle I think) headsets being too small! Got 2 local actors that I keep coming across whose heads are just too big for them. I had to take the frames from 2 damaged headsets and cut them in half (actually, one slightly larger than half) then crimp and solder a half of each headset frame back together. This gave me one extra large headset and one small headset.
One problem I have at the minute is a source of brown or black cheap headsets. All of the ones I can find over here in the "stupidly cheap" price bracket are only available in fleshtone.
With all of my cheap headsets I spend a little extra time and money on them by replacing the cheap 4 pin mini xlr connectors with REAN ones (actually, I now just buy whichever headset is cheapest at the time, be it mini xlr or jack, as I'm chopping the plug off anyway). I also take the time to heatshrink the top and bottom ends of the cable where it meets the headset and plug.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 10:56:45 am »

One problem I have at the minute is a source of brown or black cheap headsets. All of the ones I can find over here in the "stupidly cheap" price bracket are only available in fleshtone.

Brown and black are flesh tones...

Chris Eddison

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 12:51:06 pm »

Brown and black are flesh tones...
When I typed that I wondered if I'd get a reply pointing that out. Absolutely correct and I fully agree. Retailers sell them as flesh coloured alongside black and brown coloured ones though. Crayola renamed their "flesh" coloured crayon to "peach" many years ago, but it would seem headset retailers haven't done the same.

As an aside, I actually find that a brown headset on a white person is sometimes a better option. Once they're made up and under stage lights they're often just as invisible as a "peach" coloured one.

Chris Eddison

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:02 pm »

Off the back of this thread I decided to experiment and buy a few headsets to demo. I bought 2 more Microphone Madness ones and a JTS CM-804i.
The Microphone Madness one is in use on my leading man in Crazy For You this week and so far i'm quite impressed. It sounds nice and natural (unlike the Proel's i've been using which have a very pronounced peak in the hi mid that can make vocals sound quite harsh. Negatives - well I think they're all physical ones. It just doesn't fit people with smaller heads. Yes it's very flexible and can be moulded to fit, but there's just too much wire there to lose easily. Even on this male with a pretty normal sized head, I found that the boom needed bending down the jawline before coming forwards in order to get the capsule back to the corner of his mouth. It's still further forward than i'd like. Tried the second one on my leading lady and gave up - it was just too large.
I'll continue to use them on people that they'll fit, but it won't be everybody.

The JTS was less successful. Took it out of the box and had a look at the cable and connector - a very cheap looking mini xlr. I was planning on using it on the show but wouldn't trust the existing connector as i've had problems with them before. There was no heatshrink or any other sort of protection for the cable. Opening the connector up I found that the fold over metal tabs supposed to be providing strain relief were only just touching the cable - I was able to pull the cable through it with ease.
I replaced the connector with a REAN one as I use on all my other headsets.

Having reterminated the cable and so probably invalidated my warranty (as I say, I couldn't have trusted it on a show without) I then went to unfold the ear loops which hinge up (i'd already tested I could get some sound out of it but hadn't unfolded it) at which point one of the ear loops snapped clean off. Literally finger pressure - only enough to overcome the friction of the hinge.
I'll use the boom in the headset frame from one of the Proel's as it does seem to sound pretty ok. I'm not impressed though. Went to see a friend who runs a hire company today and mentioned i'd been using one. Before i'd told him what had happened to mine he said "ah yes we had some of those, we've stopped using them because the earloops snap off".
So yeah, not overly impressed!

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:02 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.