ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Economical Earset mic recommendations  (Read 10813 times)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Economical Earset mic recommendations
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 06:47:24 PM »

Wow - I don't know how I missed all these responses; I usually get an email, but in any case, thanks to all of you for your quick replies!

I had seen the Pyle mic before and was a bit gun shy because of the (low) price.  Sounds like I need to check it out, as well as the OSP.

(And yes, "Omni" - I should have specified)

Cheers!

- Jerry

I'd never heard of those Pyle mics before, but I'll definitely be trying them out. If they're half as good as everyone says they are they'll be worth every penny. Thanks for starting this thread Jerry!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Chris Eddison

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 05:26:34 AM »

Not sure about over your side of the Atlantic, but over here the Pyle is pretty much identical in looks to the Proel HSM-23, which I've had great success with. I'm now importing OEM headsets from China by the 100. In decent quantities these headsets can come in under $10 each. At these prices one local hire firm has implemented a "buy your headsets" rule with their school hires of beltpack systems. It prevents having to test every returned headset and also stops the abuse from a previous hirer affecting the next customer if a headset was mistreated but hadn't failed.

I've just ordered a pair of Microphone Madness headsets from the US. I found that I still needed a slightly better headset for some users. I find that on certain voices the capsules on the Proel headsets can distort. It's within the capsule rather than the beltpack pre amp clipping. The MM headsets make some impressive claims and are nicely priced in the middle of the market.
The one I'd suggest avoiding is the Rode HS1-P. We bought one to try out and on its' first use the plastic clip holding the boom on, snapped. It wasn't being abused particularly. We got by with the boom in the headset frame of another (CPC) headset. It sounded lovely, but seemed fragile and fiddly. Second show we used it on, it came back on the first day with the cable pulled from the jack connector. We see a lot of connector damage on the cheap headsets but I've yet to see a connector completely pulled off - especially given that it's advertised as having a Kevlar reinforced cable. I don't believe, knowing the user, that it was being mistreated.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »

I'm stunned that a headset mic can be had for $15 form BH Photo.
looks like Pyle has a "delux" version if you want to up the cost to $22  :)
A while back we ordered a bunch of Rode HS1P mics for corporate and theatre and I have to admit, for the price of $250 CDN, they do sound great and come packaged better than any other mic I have seen.
That swivel connection is a bit more delicate than I would like but overall, a great mic.
I think I'm going to get a Pyle and try it out. For $15...how bad can it be.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »

I'm stunned that a headset mic can be had for $15 form BH Photo.
looks like Pyle has a "delux" version if you want to up the cost to $22  :)
A while back we ordered a bunch of Rode HS1P mics for corporate and theatre and I have to admit, for the price of $250 CDN, they do sound great and come packaged better than any other mic I have seen.
That swivel connection is a bit more delicate than I would like but overall, a great mic.
I think I'm going to get a Pyle and try it out. For $15...how bad can it be.

Thanks for the tip about B&H. I just ordered one of each model. I'll pick them up tomorrow and hopefully try at least one of them out this Sunday!

Jeff

JohnCoxNC

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »

Our church has a Rode HS1 and while I don't love the design - how the arm attaches or the adapters for different transmitters, I've been very pleased with the mic and Rode's service.  I got a backup MM headset and for some reason this one sounds like poo.  I've had several in a past church that all were great for the money.  Although big, clunky and not "cheap" the Shure WBH53 was bulletproof, sounded great and served us very well in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iLove Baptist Church Audio Team

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »

I just checked the B&H website and the Pyle seems only to be available with a 1/8" connector...but comes with a 1/4" adaptor. 

Anyone re-wired them for Shure, AT or Sennheiser transmitters?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »

I just checked the B&H website and the Pyle seems only to be available with a 1/8" connector...but comes with a 1/4" adaptor. 

From the little I could gather from the picture, it looks like the 1/8 is TRS and "should" work with the Sennys.
Not sure why there is an 1/4" adapter...
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »

They have them with a TA4F, wired for Shure. The 1/8" version will work with Sennheiser, I'm sure, but won't have the locking ring. I'm sure you could rewire them for anything you had a connector for. I ordered one of each of these to try out, through Amazon, but here are the 2 headset types with a TA4F:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968935-REG/pyle_pro_pmems10_in_ear_mini_xlr.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968939-REG/pyle_pro_pmhms20_wired_headset_boom.html

Pyle has a version with a detachable cable, that's in a kit with 4 different connectors, TA4F, TA3F, 1/8" TRS with locking ring, and 1/8" TS without ring. The reviews aren't quite as good on this model, and it costs 4 times as much as the others:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PMEMKT5-Omnidirectional-Microphone-Sennheiser/dp/B00AFNHT3I
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »

They have them with a TA4F, wired for Shure. The 1/8" version will work with Sennheiser, I'm sure, but won't have the locking ring. I'm sure you could rewire them for anything you had a connector for. I ordered one of each of these to try out, through Amazon, but here are the 2 headset types with a TA4F:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968935-REG/pyle_pro_pmems10_in_ear_mini_xlr.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968939-REG/pyle_pro_pmhms20_wired_headset_boom.html

Pyle has a version with a detachable cable, that's in a kit with 4 different connectors, TA4F, TA3F, 1/8" TRS with locking ring, and 1/8" TS without ring. The reviews aren't quite as good on this model, and it costs 4 times as much as the others:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PMEMKT5-Omnidirectional-Microphone-Sennheiser/dp/B00AFNHT3I

Thank you!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 12:58:46 AM »

The biggest problem I have seen with almost all of the EarSet mics is they seem to be built for people with huge heads. And I find it very hard to get the mic far enough back (about an inch) from the corner of the mouth to work the way I want them to. So if you get one that can’t be bent to fit better like some reviews of the Pyle mics say, how are you going to use it? I know that you can buy the E6 in a shorter version. And as I understand they will make it any length that you want but then if you don’t like it, it isn’t returnable like the stock sizes. Also I am pretty sure that the stock ones aren’t as long as they used to be. But still too long for a lot of people I work with. Microphone Madness will also make them shorter if you want, or I should say last time I talked to them (a while ago) they said they would. I also understand that the MM is available in a version with a stiffer part that goes over the ear. And just looking at their website that may be how the latest one comes. So one of these days I have to order a shortened MM with the stiffer ear part to try it out.

Lately I have been using mostly E6 mics some MKE2 mics and a few Galaxy audio mics. I don’t even know what model the Galaxy ones are. The 1mm cables for the E6 are a little bit more fragile then I would like and the 2mm version is too thick. The Galaxy has a 1.5mm cable and that seems like a nice size. I wish that the Countryman E6 offered a 1.5mm replacement cable. We have come up with a way to tape the mics behind the ear and down the neck and we aren’t breaking them anywhere near as frequently as we were.

One thing I find a bit weird about EarSet mics I find we have to tape them to people’s faces to get them to stay in place. I can fit one to my ear so it feels very stable and like it wouldn’t need to be taped. But I can’t do that on anyone else. All I can guess is I can feel how it feels on myself but since I can’t feel that on another person, I just can’t get it to fit perfectly. When we do tape them we use 3M Transpore tape and then use concealer stick (make up) to blend the tape to the skin color. Be careful because the type of concealer that you spray on a foam sponge and then blend will dissolve the glue of the Transpore tape.

If they offered a small head version of the Pyle mics I would try them out and would love to have a usable mic that I could consider expendable. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 12:58:46 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.