ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: High School Football Stadium Audio System  (Read 25388 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: High School Football Stadium Audio System
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 05:43:27 PM »

When possible I like the speakers on the scoreboard concept, covering the field and bleachers from one point source area helps takes care of the delay echoes. Think durable, abuse proof and headroom. Systems like a high school football field can and do take a beating from the many hands that operate it.
You need horn loaded speakers for the job, the Community R2’s work very well and come in a couple different coverage pattern options, they also have a higher output MAXX series now. No outdoor speaker in a direct exposed installation will last forever
even if it claims to be weather proof, the Community R series will fair better than most.
I had a service call at an outdoor install using a pair of Technomad 15 x 2 boxes, the molded cabinets were impressive and were truly weather proof the components were shot, the voice coil gaps in the drivers were full of rust, the paper on the cones were rotted and the dust caps had fallen off. They had been outside 24/7 for about five years.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »

Dang, so much information in such a small amount of time.

To the people who did do these type of installs, what speakers were used?
Back when I was in the install business (more than 10 yrs ago) we used a lot of Community R product.  Mainly the bigger units (R2-R1) because the smaller ones did not exist then.

But for "business reasons" I "can't" suggest them anymore ;)

There are other options-some of which have been suggested in the replies.

I will say that out of all the Community R installations we did, the only failures we had (that I am aware of) were when the installs were hit with tornados or hurricanes and the structure they were mounted on came down.

Not to much you can do about that.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »

Dang, so much information in such a small amount of time.

To the people who did do these type of installs, what speakers were used?
You might want to follow closely to Ivans recommendations.  Ivan is/was involved with huge stadium installs .

Connor Long

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 07:41:38 PM »

Ivan, I'm fairly new here. May I ask which stadiums installs you have been apart of?  I have to admit I'm a geek when it comes to Big Stadium Installs.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »

Ivan, I'm fairly new here. May I ask which stadiums installs you have been apart of?  I have to admit I'm a geek when it comes to Big Stadium Installs.

Connor,
While the large stadium market can certainly be impressive and Ivan has done his share that have been very successful and I just finished the largest install of JBL VerTec in the world (for an NFL stadium), and others here also do very large stadium projects, these are a bit different than the typical High School football stadium.  Many of the same issues apply but the budgets do not often allow them to be addressed in the same manner.  Ask about projects but don't get caught up in trying to emulate something else that was done.  Do something that solves the specific problems that your situation needs to have addressed and then figure out what other compromises need to be made to reach budgetary guidelines and functional requirements.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »

Lots of local and some not so local high schools.

As far as larger jobs, some are: Lambeau field (Greenbay packers), Buffalo bills stadium on the NFL side (so far).

On the college level football (this in not including basketball or other sports) stadiums, they would include (not limited to):
LSU-University of Alabama-Penn state-university of Georgia-University of Arizona, Michigan State, Boise State, Liberty bowl, Independance bowl stadium, Furman University stadium, and others I don't recall off hand.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jordan Wolf

High School Football Stadium Audio System
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »

Connor,
If you check out Danley Sound Labs' Facebook page, there are some videos and pictures of various installs. Their website has a bunch, too.

I haven't yet heard a demo in-person, but if it's as impressive as the recorded-on-iPhone videos I've heard, I'm sure I'd be drooling a bit.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »

Connor,
While the large stadium market can certainly be impressive and Ivan has done his share that have been very successful and I just finished the largest install of JBL VerTec in the world (for an NFL stadium), and others here also do very large stadium projects, these are a bit different than the typical High School football stadium.  Many of the same issues apply but the budgets do not often allow them to be addressed in the same manner.  Ask about projects but don't get caught up in trying to emulate something else that was done.  Do something that solves the specific problems that your situation needs to have addressed and then figure out what other compromises need to be made to reach budgetary guidelines and functional requirements.

Lee
Agreed.

On some of the larger installs the mixer alone is larger than the budget for most high schools.

I guess the budget for the largest high school stadium I have done was around $75,000. 

And that was about 14 years ago.  So it would be more now.

Granted, it was a large high school install.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Connor Long

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 08:03:44 PM »

Once I saw you say Alabama/LSU/Green Bay. I knew it was Danley. I Love their products. I actually live in Tuscaloosa so I got to here the SH96 & OS80. I really love the install yall did in Bryant Denny.

Connor Long

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »

After reading what Mike said about Technomad... I would guess most people wouldn't recommend them?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.