ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: High School Football Stadium Audio System  (Read 19030 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: High School Football Stadium Audio System
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2015, 07:51:20 pm »

Danley will likely be willing to work up a preliminary design for budgeting purposes if you formally ask.

Find whoever your region's sales rep is, and give them a call. To get an accurate estimate, try to come up with a CAD drawing of your site.
Scale drawings are nice-but not "imperative".  Even "napkin sketches" will work-as long as there are the needed dimensions on it-or pretty close.  Elevations are ALSO needed (those are often left out).

It also HELPS A LOT to understand what the expectations of the system-both in SPL and freq response.

Without that data-there is no way to design a system to meet the parameters.

Just like buying a car.  Asking for one that carries "a bunch of people" can mean different things.  Is that a 7 passenger minivan?

Or a 15 passenger extended van?

What if "a bunch" is 60 people?

If you show up with mini van and a school bus is expected-you are in trouble.

If you don't know what the target is-how do you know if you meet it?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 08:07:08 pm »

Danley will likely be willing to work up a preliminary design for budgeting purposes if you formally ask.

They did one for me for our college stadium, which unfortunately did not 'go' due to politics and a large-format LED display company whose name starts with the 4th letter of the alphabet.  ::)

Find whoever your region's sales rep is, and give them a call. To get an accurate estimate, try to come up with a CAD drawing of your site.

We had the same issue with one of our municipal stadiums...  I regret it every day I turn it on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor Long

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 11:01:53 pm »

We had the same issue with one of our municipal stadiums...  I regret it every day I turn it on....

What was the problem that you experienced Cailen?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:53 pm »

What was the problem that you experienced Cailen?
Specific issues?  The sound falls apart with the slightest breeze.  There is volume for days but it sounds muddy at best.  Extremely inconsistent seat to seat.  It is a floodlight solution where a series of spotlights may have been abetter choice.  Once it gets loud enough to get over crowd noise it is hard to listen to.  That said, it meets a price performance ratio, that I'm not sure anyone else can beat....  In short, I'm spoiled.  Our other indoor theaters are all Danley as is our portable gear.

I guess I should clarify that I am reasonably happy with the system, I regret not pushing to make sure we had clearly defined needs and performance goals going in to the project, if we had we would have a very different solution.

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2015, 05:16:16 am »

... and ask for some help from a local sound engineer on designing the system.

Hi Conner, by 'sound engineer' I assume you are talking about someone who operates sound systems for a living.  If you really meant 'someone who designs systems for a living' then ignore the rest of this post.

Although some sound engineer (operators) will have some level of design knowledge, I wouldn't count on much. Even if they had design experience, designing and installing an outdoor stadium system isn't the same as building a concert system.

I'm a decent sound engineer and have done the initial consulting on install designs for a half dozen facilitates, and I always say 'you really should hire a professional designer, and I will help you qualify the designer'.  I know enough to know how little I know. 

The folks that operate (drive) Formula One cars are not the same ones that design, build or maintain them. Very different skill sets.

Food for thought...
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:54 am »

Specific issues?  The sound falls apart with the slightest breeze.  There is volume for days but it sounds muddy at best.  Extremely inconsistent seat to seat.

That is EXACTLY what happens when you have interfering sources-either line arrays or cabinets that call themselves "[point sources", yet have multiple sources of sound-combined with overlapping patterns.

The result is very  erratic coverage and forget it when the wind blows.

It DOES make a difference in how well a system holds together over distance-especially outdoors.

Just because it is cheap and meets the budget does not mean that it is correct for the job.

When STIpa starts to come around and life safety is an issue-MANY products are going to go by the wayside.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2015, 12:31:44 pm »

Specific issues?  The sound falls apart with the slightest breeze.  There is volume for days but it sounds muddy at best. 

I have listened to our system just a little bit, during the testing phase, and only from the far, far end of the stadium (probably 700' from the PA). At an altitude of almost 4000', extremely low humidity, and pretty regularly windy weather, the PA did not impress. It sounds almost as if there is a lowpass filter in place. As Cailen describes, the slightest breeze also wreaks havoc. It's quite possible that they have dialed it in better, as all reports are that it is "loud' and sounds 'fine'. Perhaps that was the standard.  8)

There is also too much level on the field for the referee mic to work well at the south end (scoreboard side) of the field. If you use microphones on the field, this is something to consider.

As both Ivan an Cailen stated above, in our case, a clear enough understanding of the desired outcome was either not presented to the consultant, was ignored, or design compromises were made for whatever reason. Ivan (as usual) lays out a great list of questions that your final design should answer!

claude cascioli

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:40 pm »

I've been commissioned to purchase the speakers that will be mounted on our new press box at our high school football stadium, I haven't been been given a budget but I'm trying to stay around $5000 but there is a possibility it could sway upward of $10,000. The stadium is the classic high school stadium, bleachers on both home & visitor side, and averaging around 2000 fans sometime on big games we might get around 3000 but that's rare occasion. Been doing some research, I have looked into the JBL AWC's, Technomad, Community, QSC Acoustic Design (New Models), Atlas Stadium Horns, Danley & of course the Community brand speakers.  On our old press box we had 3 Community R.5 which weren't awful, they just weren't placed properly with all 3 being pointed across the field and now angled left or right. I would like to have a sub as a focal point just so the fans can feel the music instead of just hearing it (I really like the Technomad Oslo).

I've been pricing out 3 Technomad Noho's & pairing them with the Oslo, Opinions?

If you could just your thoughts on which speakers y'all prefer, what you have had luck with, which to stay away from, how many i should use & anything yall think might be helpful.

Thanks!

i would stick with communitys i use them a lot for outdoor fields there loud and musical but need power i would use a qsc pl340 or plx 3602

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:40 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.