ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: High School Football Stadium Audio System  (Read 25387 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: High School Football Stadium Audio System
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »

The one problem with putting the speakers on the scoreboard is that it will be so far away from anyone using a mic they will have to do it in a way that they don’t hear the sound system at all or they will have a very difficult time speaking.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »

The one problem with putting the speakers on the scoreboard is that it will be so far away from anyone using a mic they will have to do it in a way that they don’t hear the sound system at all or they will have a very difficult time speaking.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each type of stadium system.

But to "argue" with you. if you were on the 50 yrd line-you would be just about as far from the typical HS scoreboard as from the top of the field house-so that argument is a wash.

But agreed that the delay can make it VERY hard to say a complete sentence.

A distributed system can cost more than a scoreboard system-due to the infrastructure (cable paths-mounting options etc) and more cabinets needed-more amps etc.

But it can also have a greater HF response (due to less air absorption) and can help to keep the sound withing the stadium.

But if the wrong products are chosen with the wrong positioning, then there can be lots of interference and lots of "stadium echo".

A endzone scoreboard system has the advantage of a basically a single source of sound (less "stadium echo"), but depending on the design and products used-getting good sound to the far end can be quite a challenge.  It depends on how well the sound "holds together over distance without interference".

So as usual-the real answer is "it depends".

But for a "typical HS field house" install I use the following approach.  A "far throw high output device" for the visitors.

A pair (one each side) of wider coverage pattern for the sides of the field house.

Downfill speakers (sometimes 1, sometimes 2 or 3-depending) as needed for seats in the middle of the home seating.

Subs as desired or needed.

Of course there are often other speakers needed for fills in some other areas.

But that is my "starting point"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »

So as usual-the real answer is "it depends".

But for a "typical HS field house" install I use the following approach.  A "far throw high output device" for the visitors.

A pair (one each side) of wider coverage pattern for the sides of the field house.

Downfill speakers (sometimes 1, sometimes 2 or 3-depending) as needed for seats in the middle of the home seating.

Subs as desired or needed.

Of course there are often other speakers needed for fills in some other areas.

But that is my "starting point"

Wholly agreed.  This layout is the typical starting point and speaker choices are often as dependent on budget as they are on best function.  Hopefully best function and the budget can be achieved but often compromise does not allow it.
Another point of great variation in cost can be the head end.  What is needed for control, how much automatic mixing or how many fixed inputs. How many channels of wireless with what sort of range, etc.
Danley has some great products, others have been mentioned here that are often used very successfully for both reliability and budget needs.  Community is one, Atlas is one.  JBL has some new weather resistant cabinets that I have not had the chance to use in a stadium/arena yet but I have liked in other outdoor installs.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »

Wholly agreed.  This layout is the typical starting point and speaker choices are often as dependent on budget as they are on best function.  Hopefully best function and the budget can be achieved but often compromise does not allow it.
Another point of great variation in cost can be the head end.  What is needed for control, how much automatic mixing or how many fixed inputs. How many channels of wireless with what sort of range, etc.

When the budget is an issue-I have ALWAYS said-put the money that is available into what will make the greatest difference-the speaker system.

You can always add another wireless mic later-get a larger mixer-add some control-add playback etc at no real major costs.

But a new speaker system is the single biggest cost-so it is also the hardest to get replaced or upgraded.  Partly because amps and DSP are also involved.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »

When the budget is an issue-I have ALWAYS said-put the money that is available into what will make the greatest difference-the speaker system.

You can always add another wireless mic later-get a larger mixer-add some control-add playback etc at no real major costs.

But a new speaker system is the single biggest cost-so it is also the hardest to get replaced or upgraded.  Partly because amps and DSP are also involved.

Again agreed.  Dropping to a QSC CMX (or others, they are just my cost effective go to for many situations) line of amps may be a great cost saver while still keeping speakers the best they can be.  Having one wireless rather than multiples but designing with additional inputs to make it easy to add.  All of these are points where compromises must be made.  The only way to get to the best family of compromises is to list out all of your needs (not equipment) for coverage, level, number of inputs, allowable location of equipment, cost of trenching or conduit (is it in somebody else's budget and already accounted for?), cost of lifts and equipment to rig speakers in train locations, and then see how those needs can best be answered within your budget.  Via the Internet we can come up with a lot of good questions to help you think through things but only those involved in your project have all of the answers to all of those other things that will affect your choices.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Connor Long

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 11:15:13 PM »

With what Ivan said as a starting point, how does this sound
- Community R2-52 for Visitor Bleacher Throw.
- 2 JBL AWC82 for downfills
- 2 JBL AWC129 for Left/Right fill of the pressbox.
* Optional 1 Technomad Oslo subwoofer *

I might have said I wanted the fans to be able to feel the bass, I ment more of just hearing actual bass notes.

*Edit* you might could elaborate on some good weatherproof subwoofers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:41:27 PM by Connor Long »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »

After reading what Mike said about Technomad... I would guess most people wouldn't recommend them?

Unless they have a new fully horn loaded model their speakers are basically a direct radiator woofer and a horn design, not suited for football stadium long throw. The cabinets are really tough but there's nothing special about the weather protection for the drivers, some foam behind the grill, ferrofulid in the gaps and some sort of cone treatment.
I found it kind of funny that they had some of the most sticky, messy, waterproof tar sealer under the woofer mounting flange but the cabinet ports were directly exposed under the grill. Yes the woofer should be well sealed in the cabinet but considering there a ported cabinet the extreme water proof tar did nothing in keeping direct moisture out of the inside of the box but only made a big mess pulling put the woofer out.

The speakers I worked on were mounted pointing straight out, a little downward angle would have offered some direct blast weather protection.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:05:24 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »

With what Ivan said as a starting point, how does this sound
- Community R2-52 for Visitor Bleacher Throw.
- 2 JBL AWC82 for downfills
- 2 JBL AWC129 for Left/Right fill of the pressbox.
* Optional 1 Technomad Oslo subwoofer *

I might have said I wanted the fans to be able to feel the bass, I ment more of just hearing actual bass notes.

What is the construction of you press box. even minus the subwoofer if it's metal construction, metal roof and sides it may buzz and rattle when you really get on the system

Connor Long

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 11:50:49 PM »

Yea, the new press box would be steel/metal but the speakers would be mounted on the rails that are off of the actual roof itself.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 07:35:36 AM »

What is the construction of you press box. even minus the subwoofer if it's metal construction, metal roof and sides it may buzz and rattle when you really get on the system
That can be a REAL issue!!!!!!!!!!!

And it does not take much level for most of those cheap buildings to start to "zing" and also there is usually not much sound isolation between the announcer and the speakers with those buildings.

So getting gain before feedback is more of an issue.

When you buy cheap-you get cheap performance.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 07:35:36 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.