ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: random electrical related question  (Read 9371 times)

Richard Turner

random electrical related question
« on: February 03, 2015, 01:00:53 AM »

Just a random question.

Back in the days of yore, How much AC was actually needed on those big fully rigged par can overloaded staged in the 1980's I'm guessing the equivalent of blocks worth of suburban houses. Or a shipyard...

Seems outrageous considering most bar rigs could be fed with 2 15A circus these days.

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: random electrical related question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:17:54 AM »

Just a random question.

Back in the days of yore, How much AC was actually needed on those big fully rigged par can overloaded staged in the 1980's I'm guessing the equivalent of blocks worth of suburban houses. Or a shipyard...

Seems outrageous considering most bar rigs could be fed with 2 15A circus these days.

In most touring cases that I am aware of 1000 watts @ 120 volts per PAR can.  Once we got to the pre-rig truss days a "standard" rider request was for 96 pars in pre-rig so, 96,000 watts. 
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »

So calculated cost would be.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 01:02:20 PM »

That assumes the lamps would be left on for the whole show.  Most are not  The actual consumption over the event would be much less
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »

plus the peek current draw fee.  We don't get that at home but business like venues and factories get charged a fee related to peek demand.  The monthly power bill will be several times that calculated amount.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »

plus the peek current draw fee.  We don't get that at home but business like venues and factories get charged a fee related to peek demand.  The monthly power bill will be several times that calculated amount.

Yep.  At our downtown arena they rented a really big genset (think 53' semi trailer) and hooked it into the water chillers.  They fire it up to start the chillers and then take it offline.  The reduction in peak billing paid for the genset a couple times over, I'm told.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »

Yes Yes, I can do the math on the theory.

Real life, everyone on light and sound aware of what was going on what kind of generation was needed/provided. ex, no full blind scenes tonight cause you will lock the armature in the gennie and brown out the show.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »

I have seen a Lathe or Mill do that in the Ship yards and brown out the building and the computers.  Smell that motor as it melts down.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »

Yep.  At our downtown arena they rented a really big genset (think 53' semi trailer) and hooked it into the water chillers.  They fire it up to start the chillers and then take it offline.  The reduction in peak billing paid for the genset a couple times over, I'm told.
When we first rented a warehouse with 600 amp three phase power we thought "Great, now we can finally test out our lighting rigs full tilt !"

Then we got the first electric bill with something like a $600 "peak fee" on top, even though the 144 K light system had only been "bumped" for a few seconds. We then made the rule "no more than 6K at one time"...

claude cascioli

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »

Just a random question.

it all depends on how many cans you had 12 cans 1000 watts each 12,000 watts total divide by 120 volt= 100 amps now how many cans were on at once and how long i seen many melted cables by overload back then most clubs had light built in with proper power and dimmers

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.