ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW KF940 in a small club  (Read 8147 times)

Richard Turner

Re: EAW KF940 in a small club
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »

Its all part of  a DARPA mind control scheme anyway. Throw on an average dubstep track in a room full or marijuana enthusiasts. Its almost like watching zombies reanimate like on The Walking Dead.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »

Its all part of  a DARPA mind control scheme anyway. Throw on an average dubstep track in a room full or marijuana enthusiasts. Its almost like watching zombies reanimate like on The Walking Dead.

It's more fun with folks on MDMA (ecstasy).  Until they dehydrate.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jens Droessler

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »

Find a friend who has a competition audio car that generates 130db sub.  Roll the window down.  Pull up a empty cargo van or u-haul truck next to the car.  Get in the back of the van/truck.  This is what it will sound like in a small room with KF940s!

Outdoors, they generate an enormous amount of low frequency energy.  Put 6 or 8 a side and you can cover sub for 10,000 people.  But they don't hit your chest at 60 like double 18"s will.  Indoors...well...you can split a sheetrock wall with 2 of em playing EDM at 20hz.  But a kick drum won't sound like it has any impact.
I somehow get the feeling you did something wrong using the KF940. Incorrect or missing time alignment or maybe non suitable crossover setting to the tops come to mind. Properly set up they hit much much harder than any vented direct radiating double-18 ever could, especially in the 60-80Hz range.

Terry Fryar

• Wyard Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »

I somehow get the feeling you did something wrong using the KF940. Incorrect or missing time alignment or maybe non suitable crossover setting to the tops come to mind. Properly set up they hit much much harder than any vented direct radiating double-18 ever could, especially in the 60-80Hz range.

Outside...yeh...they do.  All my posting was about indoor use.  Outdoors you do get punch!  Indoors..well...just sharing my experience.  Remember that a horn load sub radiates differently in the near field.  Have you tried 2 or 4 KF940's in a smaller/medium sized room before?  I remember a church that wasn't very deep...maybe 60'?  It was wide...maybe 100'?  It's been a long time ago, so I don't remember much!  Anyways, I think we had 2 KF940's a side, with probably 1600 watts a box.  I vagely remember getting sick from the low frequency, but the punch just didn't seem to be there.  Now, we used 6 or 8 KF940's a side on our big shows...8, 10, 15 thousand people.  Sounded pretty great for that application.  We've used BSS, XTA, and Lake for our processing and I'm a bit familiar with crossovers, timing and phase issues and I took quite a bit of time with Smaart doing system tuning (phase, xover, eq, etc).  But...that was the big shows...for all I know we might have just set and plugged in those smaller shows....so you might be right that we were not running optimium settings. 

Keep in mind these generated a LOT of moving air!  Indoors I was looking for a certain type of sound (punch) and I just didn't like what I heard.  I say give them a try, couldn't hurt!  Maybe you would like the sound.  I did like the sound outdoors, it was just in smaller rooms that I didn't really "feel" the kick drum.  If you played a 20hz note on the keys, you would get dizzy the output was so precise and enormous.  But hitting the kick?  Nope...didn't ever sound good to me.  I've had just a pair of double 18's in small rooms that I thought sounded much better.  Overall possible output below say 80hz...oh the 940's win by a big margin.  Just the "type" of moving air didn't quite set right with me at kick fundamental frequencies?  It's really hard to describe....

We eventually got rid of a truckfull of them and switched to JBL double 18"s.  Honestly, I liked the punch better with those...but I really missed the low stuff...like tracks or keys through the KF940s.  No matter how many 940 boxes we had outdoors...always sounded very "hi fi" to me!  Plus, they didn't have that cone distortion (especially around kick frequencies) that many 18"'s did...drove me nuts when we switched but I eventually got used to it.

Anyways, we did several indoor shows with the 940's and I just never got the punch I was looking for.  Tried all kinds of stuff.  If you look through the PSW posts from years ago, you can find details on the stuff I tried and checked.  Keep in mind none of the indoor shows were very big.  For outdoors, as I recall, when stacked in blocks of 4...it seemed like it took some distance for those KF940's to really punch.  You could stand in front of a block and it wouldn't blow out your ears...but you could feel the kick drum like 4 miles away!

Really amazing output for 12" 800w speakers in a 13 foot horn....quite efficient they were....but at 400lbs and refrigerator sized...well, just say I had my fill of stacking them!  I say give em a try!  I'm a big believer in experimentation...if you like em..great!  If not...on to the next!

PS:  If you put 4 of these in a small room and play EDM...the cops *will* be there!  Don't ask me how I know! ;-)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:58:16 PM by Terry Fryar »

Jens Droessler

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »

Yes, I get what you wrote. I have used KF940, BH760 and LA400 several times in smaller rooms and work with similar hornloaded subs nearly every day in small to medium sized rooms. I created setups for all of them with all sorts of tops. It's sure as h#ll not as easy as with direct radiating subwoofers. With the KF940 you'd have to delay a direct radiating top about 13ms alone for the horn length, and additional delay for the highpass for the KF940 is required. That's something you have to realise to get it right. But if you do it correctly, they will slam even harder indoors than outdoors. I have customers demanding the hornloaded subs even for smaller gigs, for say 100 to 150 people.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.