ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Touchmix 8/16 vs X32 Rack?  (Read 17506 times)

Chris Debol

Touchmix 8/16 vs X32 Rack?
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm mainly dealing with talking head/canned music and occasional small band events. I'm looking to upgrade into a digital mixer and have narrowed my choice to the above mentioned. I've read reviews on both and neither seems like a bad choice. Has anyone compared the two? Any sound quality preference on the two?  Which is easier to use of the two?  Better sounding effects?  I don't plan on using a stage box so the optional extra available channels on the X32 are not part of the equation for me.

Chris Debol

Re: Touchmix 8/16 vs X32 Rack?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »

Moderators,

This was actually supposed to be posted in the lounge. Please move it at your convenience.

Thanks.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »

The X32 Producer would be more closely comparable to the QSC.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:48:59 PM »

While the QSC has come a long way with this new firmware, either Behringer is much more mature and feature-complete. The QSC hardware is very nice. I own the QSC TouchMix 16, and a Yamaha LS9-16. At the moment, I'm mixing a lot of shows on my Mackie DL-1608.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Chris Debol

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:12:21 PM »

The X32 Producer would be more closely comparable to the QSC.

Are you saying this because the Touchmix has the ability to be more hands on?

Chris Debol

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 11:14:19 PM »

While the QSC has come a long way with this new firmware, either Behringer is much more mature and feature-complete. The QSC hardware is very nice. I own the QSC TouchMix 16, and a Yamaha LS9-16. At the moment, I'm mixing a lot of shows on my Mackie DL-1608.

Do you prefer the Mackie because you feel the QSC Firmware isn't complete enough for your needs?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:51:35 AM »

The Behringer is probably the clear winner in terms of versatility, performance and expandability over the other offers mentioned. The only downside is that in order to really run it, you must have an IPAD. Now keep in mind that the X32R has 14 outputs and 22 actual inputs, so not only do you get more in's and out's for the money, but the mixer is able to expand 48 inputs and 32 outputs.

To me this is an apples and oranges comparison. The Touchmix is the late comer into the game and not feature packed beyond other offerings for the price. The Mackie is limited to a degree and the Line 6 Stagescape M20D isn't even mentioned 90% of the time as an option. The Behringer X32R is a full featured fully expandable mixer only limited to the hardware included in the 3 rack spaces. I own one and I love it. Having used a Mackie Dl1608 once, I can't say that I must have one. I am still waiting for a stealth digital mixer that is fully featured. The X-Air that Behringer is releasing is probably the closest thing, but has a different software than the X32 and is again very similar in performance to the Mackie and QSC offerings.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:58:07 AM »

The Behringer is probably the clear winner in terms of versatility, performance and expandability over the other offers mentioned. The only downside is that in order to really run it, you must have an IPAD. Now keep in mind that the X32R has 14 outputs and 22 actual inputs, so not only do you get more in's and out's for the money, but the mixer is able to expand 48 inputs and 32 outputs.

To me this is an apples and oranges comparison. The Touchmix is the late comer into the game and not feature packed beyond other offerings for the price. The Mackie is limited to a degree and the Line 6 Stagescape M20D isn't even mentioned 90% of the time as an option. The Behringer X32R is a full featured fully expandable mixer only limited to the hardware included in the 3 rack spaces. I own one and I love it. Having used a Mackie Dl1608 once, I can't say that I must have one. I am still waiting for a stealth digital mixer that is fully featured. The X-Air that Behringer is releasing is probably the closest thing, but has a different software than the X32 and is again very similar in performance to the Mackie and QSC offerings.

For the X32 you need an Android tablet.  The iPad app is good but for mixing I prefer MixStation.  It is possible to use both at the same time, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 01:09:16 AM »

For the X32 you need an Android tablet.  The iPad app is good but for mixing I prefer MixStation.  It is possible to use both at the same time, too.

Mixstation for the x32 gets better with every build and the iPad app is far more mature that anything else in the game.  If you read the Pro forums those guys complain the down market gear gets the better apps.

The only negative is the name on the box and in most circles the x32 seems exempt from the Behringer stink.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »

The Behringer is probably the clear winner in terms of versatility, performance and expandability over the other offers mentioned. The only downside is that in order to really run it, you must have an IPAD.

Actually, for smaller events, such as talking head stuff, I can actually do everything fast enough just with the front controls on the X32. I usually have the iPad with me too, but if I didn't, I'm not dead in the water with an X32 Rack.

The QSC mixer looks decent, but the huge downfall I see is the proprietary power connector on the unit.  If it used a standard IEC power input and not a brick with a custom connector, I'd probably have one.

The xAir line from Behringer is looking very nice. For small throw and go, I'm guessing that'll become one of my go-to systems.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.