ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Two quesitons about moving heads - light output & Chinese manufacturers  (Read 8552 times)

Josh Daws

Re: Two quesitons about moving heads - light output & Chinese manufacturers
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »

juts for the sake of mentioning it, apparently martin is about to release its M-Touch controller (still need a PC), for around $600....

Dave Horo

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »

Don't  be so quick to write of the 90w LED fixtures. Depending upon your application they might really surprise you with how good they can look. It really depends upon what other fixture you are using, as well as how you will use the movers.

I'll have to give them a closer look because I really prefer the size and power efficiency of the newer LED stuff.  The challenge is that I don't know what other fixtures will be available. The actual use for these will be to provide some show-to-show consistency by supplementing whatever the house provides.  Nine times out of ten this is a combination PARs and Source 4s, with maybe some effects thrown in.  It's very rare that movers are available at these venues.

And thanks for all the suggestions on PC-based controllers.  I hadn't thought of going that way but it probably is the best bang-for-the-buck.  The system will be used by inexperienced operators some of the time, so a software solution with lots of presets will by the easiest to manage.  I especially like the idea of something with a few hard buttons on it for non-PC control.  I have some more research to do to find something that makes sense and is cost-effective.
 - Dave
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:23:59 PM by Dave Horo »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »

We've bought a lot of stationary LED fixtures from China and some clones of a couple popular movers.

Every factory is different regarding QC, parts, and consistency from run to run.  After 3 years of dealing with the inconsistency and zero technical support (why won't this fixture run with a generic RBG profile?, oh, every DMX channel is *backwards* counted) we won't buy direct from China anymore.

What I would do:  buy a pair of whatever you're interested in and try them out.  If you don't like them put them on Craig's list and some DJ will buy them just to run in demo mode.

Nothing about moving lights is compatible with inexperienced operators if it requires more than pushing a "go" button.  Seriously.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.