ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can an "archaic" par can light rig be controlled remotely??  (Read 3528 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Can an "archaic" par can light rig be controlled remotely??
« on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »

The title says it all.
I currently use a 16 fixture par 38 (w/ 90 watt halogen bulbs) with an Elation Stagesetter controller as a basic lighting rig for bar band use.  My lights run on a 15amp wall circuit and I have yet to have a problem finding enough power for my PA and lights on a gig.. I control the lights from my FOH position.  Everything works and clients are pleased.

In an attempt to keep up with the times, I recently acquired a digital desk for my sound system and plan to mix remotely via ipad.  Doing so, however, leaves me with the question of what to do with my lighting....

At this point, I cannot afford to upgrade my lights to LED's but could possibly upgrade the controller to one that can be used wirelessly...

The focus of what I do is "sound" but it seems that more and more of my clients also want lights to score the gig.....a necessary "evil" I guess..

Anything out there??  I am clueless... 

Mike M   

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Can an "archaic" par can light rig be controlled remotely??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:18:58 AM »

If you are mixing from FOH and the light control is at FOH, what do you see as the advantage of spending $$ on a wireless control for LX?

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »

Yes, but it probably isn't particulary easy or cheap.

Question 1:  Do your existing dimmers respond to DMX signals?  If so, then go to question 2. If not, do you want to buy dmx dimmers?

Question 2:  Do you have a laptop which you dedicate (mostly) to lighting usage?  Can that laptop be connected to a wireless router?  (I assume that you already have a wireless router set up for audio use.). If so, you can get lighting software for that laptop.

Question 3:  Will your tablet/pad device be able to toggle back and forth between audio uses and lighting uses rapidly enough for your needs?  (I assume it would suck to have two tablets, one for audio and another for lighting; if not, then your life gets easier.)

Question 4:  Are you willing to spend the time to program the controller for each lighting "look" that you need or want?

If you answer yes to each of the questions, then it should technically feasible. Whether it is ecconomical enough to meet your needs is a different issue.

Good luck. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:11:05 PM »

Does your Elation Stagesetter have MIDI?  Does your new console have MIDI and some spare user-defined keys?  Maybe you can do what you want with just a MIDI cable and some time figuring out how to make them talk.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »

On some other threads there is a discussion about using Luminair Ipad app, and Entec network to DMX box.  The wifi router receives the signal from the Ipad app and the entec network device sends out the DMX data.  This will be roughly around 300 dollars to buy the entec device. 

The stage setter 8 is what I use as my control for one of three universes.  In this case the Stage setter runs the white lite on the lead singer or solo artist.  The second universe is the computer run programed stage lights colors movers and such. 

Third can be up lighting around the room and or the dance floor.  Dance floor can also be part of the second universe with stage lighting. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »

In my opinion lighting is something that does not require a wireless connection.  The reason people want the lighting to be wireless is because the sound person is doing sound and lighting.  Sound people do need to work a room and walk around the room to ensure that the mix covers the room well and even.  So when doing both the wireless is a help. 

When a show is smaller you will find that the programed shows will have the single universe that covers the stage and dance area with lights.  You will not need the stagersetter for this part.  It will come back as you start to keep some white light on the artsist to keep them visible and up front of the show.   Same as a theatre show. 

The stagesetter does support Midi. 

Moving to something like Luminair would be beneficial to the small show with the entac.  Because the New LED fixtures require a system more robust and programmable then a stagesetter.   You can run the 4 address LED par cans or use the 6 address LED Par cans, but you will find this limiting and overly complicated on the Stagesetter and the Midi will not work well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.