ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do Class D amps seem to pull less power than they make?  (Read 34879 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Why do Class D amps seem to pull less power than they make?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »

The crux of the biscuit is how do you come up with a single number for what is at least a two dimensional (power vs. time) envelope of power output capability. Any single power number is only describing one instant of that total power envelope. Further there is a short term and longer term power envelope limited by different parameters.

Note: Loudspeakers share a similar multi-dimensional power handling envelope.

JR

EXACTLY.  And also why it gets hard to give a "nice simple" limiter number.

Different limiter parameter protect against different signal "times/amplitudes".

When you start to dig it can get deep REAL quick.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »

1)I've been eyeballing that exact amp, Does it sound as musical as compared to old crest iron?  putting 3 units in a rack box and coming out under 50 lbs and having up to 12 channels in a flexible package for under $1200, Would it be too good to be true?

2)Is it still working as advertised after initial break in? No funny smells no melted bits after running fill tilt for 50 hours? Definelty attractive for a monitor rack and utility amp rack.

3)Heck 3 year warranty, if they don't take 90 days to effect repairs that's a solid selling point right there. Or is it in some fine print that actually using it commercially cripples the warranty term?
Richard,

1) The NU4-6000 sounds like what goes in, and the limiting circuit is musical, it does not sound bad when run to limit. It has by far the best $$ per watt ratio of any amp I have ever purchased, and in bridged mono mode it has more output in to 4 ohms than the Speakerpower SP 4000 I had been using.
2) Yes, still running fine, but I don't have many hours on it. I have used it twice with a modified square wave inverter and it is completely noise free. The efficiency is pretty amazing, even running 60 or 30 Hz sine waves the output of the fans was barely above ambient. Low heat generally means longer life for components.
3) No fine print as far as I can see, I bought three, from what I read Behringer warranty repair or replacement is good. With so many channels available one of the three amplifiers could go out and with a quick re-patch the show would go on, just with -3dB less LF output.

I expect there will soon be a Midas badged version of the amp,  with a circuit that slows down the fans at low output (the only drawback I found with the amp) dB markings on the volume pots, and digital connectivity,  and a cost 2-3 times the price of the NU4-6000.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.