ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Industrial quality CDJ connections  (Read 20823 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Industrial quality CDJ connections
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »

I do indeed want to try to go Digital simply because it's being recorded and i want to have the highest quality possible recording. The steps you mentioned sound........rather complicated to say the least i can only hope the sound provider would have those items. Another reason is if i use SPIDIF to connect the cdj's to the dj mixer and go analog out that really defeats the purpose anyways
The only purpose being defeated in four pages of this thread is our time being wasted in trying to help you, since you clearly know better than probably 150 years of audio experience of the responders. For the eleventy-billionth time, digital does not sound better than analog. PERIOD.

There is nothing whatsoever you will gain other than pissing everybody off trying to do something uselessly complicated.

Either trust us, or take your superior knowledge off the thread and enjoy the fact that you are right in spite of reason and experience.

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 07:55:51 PM »

The only purpose being defeated in four pages of this thread is our time being wasted in trying to help you, since you clearly know better than probably 150 years of audio experience of the responders. For the eleventy-billionth time, digital does not sound better than analog. PERIOD.

There is nothing whatsoever you will gain other than pissing everybody off trying to do something uselessly complicated.

Either trust us, or take your superior knowledge off the thread and enjoy the fact that you are right in spite of reason and experience.

Okay i got it. Thank you very much for your answer. As some one mentioned perhaps i should meet with the sound provider and go over the options for this.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »

You seemed to have missed that there is no SPIDF to AES cable. You can have an RCA to XLR but that doesn't convert the protocols.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am not suggesting the OP should use a digital rather than an analogue connection.  In this case the analogue will be a superior option but...

AES-3 balanced (120 Ohm) and SPDIF Coax can be interconnected (most successfully from SPDIF to AES3) with the use of a transformer.  I do this all the time for recording interfacing.  I have not tried an AES-3 BNC connection to SPDIF coax directly.  In theory this should also be fine because they are impedance matched.  There is a single bit difference between the two formats.  Modern chipsets generally work very well to send from the consumer based SPDIF to the pro AES3 by using a simple impedance conversion.  They don't work as well going from Pro to consumer.  As I said I have not tried direct SPDIF coax to AES-3 BNC connection but it should work in most cases with modern chips since it's already impedance matched.
Here's a link to a Rane publication on the topic. 

http://www.rane.com/note149.html

Lee
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:14:16 AM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »

For 10' it's going to be fine.  For 100', not so fine (though the bigger issue is that Sp/Dif is single-ended and not intended for long-distance transmission; AES is balanced and can go a couple hundred feet).

SPDIF Coax has a maximum specified length limit of 10m.
AES-3 balanced on STP has a maximum specified limit of 100m.
AES-3 balanced via CAT5 has a maximum specified limit of 400m.
AES-3 id is unbalanced via 75 ohm coax and BNC connections.  It has a maximum specified limit of 1000m.

Balanced is not always better for long distance runs, lower impedance is.  For balanced AES-3 we often use baluns to convert to 75 ohm coax to gain a great advantage in transmission distance.

Lee

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »

Okay i got it. Thank you very much for your answer. As some one mentioned perhaps i should meet with the sound provider and go over the options for this.

Is there a reason that you are involving the sound provider in this discussion at all? Why not just take either the digital out or the Master2 RCA output from the DJM-900nxs and take that straight into your computer for recording? Less fuss, the provider won't think you're being annoying, and it's going to give you the ability to have the best recording mix of the music.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01:53 AM »

Is there a reason that you are involving the sound provider in this discussion at all? Why not just take either the digital out or the Master2 RCA output from the DJM-900nxs and take that straight into your computer for recording? Less fuss, the provider won't think you're being annoying, and it's going to give you the ability to have the best recording mix of the music.

-Ray

There is no reason for not involving the sound provider. As for not going directly out of the mixer the reason for that is because there will be other audio played through the sound desk that comes from the laptop in FOH that i would like to be recorded.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »

There is no reason for not involving the sound provider. As for not going directly out of the mixer the reason for that is because there will be other audio played through the sound desk that comes from the laptop in FOH that i would like to be recorded.

Ah, ok, I didn't see that mentioned in the postings.

Your thought to meet with the soundco in advance is best, then. Let them know what you want to do, and they'll be able to help you to figure out the best solution available. They would *much rather* know about this in advance, then DOS. Haha.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:26 AM »

That that a unexpected problem. To solve it i decided that instead of using a CDJ for that i'll use a laptop with a Audio Interface ( this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-1800-usb-2.0-audio-midi-interface) and just play the audio out of a DAW. Pretty complicated but oh well...... and thankfully the spec's on this audio interface seem to say that it can do 48khz

Tony

The difference between 44.1 or 48k and 96k used for live DJ events is.... wait for it... zip... nada.... zero.  Don't obsess over this.

This is particularly true when the best commercial program sources are 44.1 or 48 and/or if anything being played is coming from a digitally compressed source.

Using digital inputs/outputs will result in greater complexity for everyone but you.  I can guarantee that if you showed up at an event intending to use digital-only signals, without advancing that with the PA provider, you'd be asked to provide analog Left/Right.

This isn't recording, it's providing entertainment for people in various forms of altered consciousness (psychological or chemical).  99.7% of them won't notice any difference between a 128kb MP3 or a 192kHz/24 bit studio recording.  I'm not suggesting that striving for good audio is a waste of time, it's not, but that if you're doing this for the masses you might get more return using the energy for other things the audience will notice and appreciate.

As for recording the event, again a 96k recording gains you nothing when the sources are 44.1/48kHz, or worse.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

edit ps... and then I looked at the date on this thread... oh well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:15:15 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:38 AM »

edit ps... and then I looked at the date on this thread... oh well.

… yeah, but it's not like you're hanging out in the DJ forum all the time anyways, right?

You'll see this thread was the last good action in here… six weeks ago! Heh.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:38 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.