ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Industrial quality CDJ connections  (Read 20658 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Industrial quality CDJ connections
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »

My reason would be........."Digital less cables and sounds better" also forgot to mention that the audio is going to be recorded so that is another reason as to why i want the very highest sound quality possible
And they're going to say "No it doesn't.  Here's a pair of XLRs."  And they will be right.

You seem to be very new at this, and I mean that in a non-condescending way.  I would suggest you invest your time practicing so you differentiate your craft by your musical skill, rather than chasing meaningless advantages- digital interconnects, which are really disadvantages.

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 04:04:44 PM »

And they're going to say "No it doesn't.  Here's a pair of XLRs."  And they will be right.

You seem to be very new at this, and I mean that in a non-condescending way.  I would suggest you invest your time practicing so you differentiate your craft by your musical skill, rather than chasing meaningless advantages- digital interconnects, which are really disadvantages.

Lol at that first part. Yes i am very new to working with larger super high end PA's. In the past the largest PA i personally set up was 8 speakers all QSC and all Powered.

No offense taken and thank you again

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »

As for the sound desk it would most likely be an Avid Venue profile from pictures i have seen it has AES inputs.

Just to clarify a little more, your CD player is going to be putting out 44.KHz data, the Profile only runs at 48KHz, and the Profile does not have sample rate converters that I can find although I am admittedly not an Avid expert. In order to connect your CD player you will either need a fairly expensive external box to do the SRC, or you will go analog.

Take your 2 analog XLR cables to the system tech and say "Here is the stereo signal from my mixer".

Mac

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »

Just to clarify a little more, your CD player is going to be putting out 44.KHz data, the Profile only runs at 48KHz, and the Profile does not have sample rate converters that I can find although I am admittedly not an Avid expert. In order to connect your CD player you will either need a fairly expensive external box to do the SRC, or you will go analog.

Take your 2 analog XLR cables to the system tech and say "Here is the stereo signal from my mixer".

Mac

That that a unexpected problem. To solve it i decided that instead of using a CDJ for that i'll use a laptop with a Audio Interface ( this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-1800-usb-2.0-audio-midi-interface) and just play the audio out of a DAW. Pretty complicated but oh well...... and thankfully the spec's on this audio interface seem to say that it can do 48khz

Tony

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »

That that a unexpected problem. To solve it i decided that instead of using a CDJ for that i'll use a laptop with a Audio Interface ( this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-1800-usb-2.0-audio-midi-interface) and just play the audio out of a DAW. Pretty complicated but oh well...... and thankfully the spec's on this audio interface seem to say that it can do 48khz

Tony
None of which will matter when you use the analog XLRs you're going to be using.

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »

None of which will matter when you use the analog XLRs you're going to be using.

Probably for the dj gear. but since the sound desk will be within 15 feet of the laptop it should be able to work with the Spidif to AES cable

John L Nobile

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »

Tony

Are you going to use this interface between your laptop and the sound board?

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 05:15:56 PM »

Are you going to use this interface between your laptop and the sound board?

Yes i will use studio one as my DAW and route the output to the SPIDIF on the interface, going out of the spidif via a Spidif to AES cable into the sound board

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »

Tony

You seem determined to try this with a digital connection despite warning that it can be problematic, and the system provider may not let you do it anyway.

It will sound just as good analog and will be much more failure proof. Even with that Tascam interface you are going to have to clock it to the console and convert the SPDIF to AES. The only way to clock the interface to the console is to run an AES out from the console to the interface, where you will have to do an AES>SPDIF conversion into the digital input. To make the 2 protocol changes you will need 2 transformers, they are available from Canare. Also read THIS.

Also be sure the files you want to play are 48KHz files.

Or... go analog.

Mac

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

You seem determined to try this with a digital connection despite warning that it can be problematic, and the system provider may not let you do it anyway.

It will sound just as good analog and will be much more failure proof. Even with that Tascam interface you are going to have to clock it to the console and convert the SPDIF to AES. The only way to clock the interface to the console is to run an AES out from the console to the interface, where you will have to do an AES>SPDIF conversion into the digital input. To make the 2 protocol changes you will need 2 transformers, they are available from Canare. Also read THIS.

Also be sure the files you want to play are 48KHz files.

Or... go analog.

Mac

I do indeed want to try to go Digital simply because it's being recorded and i want to have the highest quality possible recording. The steps you mentioned sound........rather complicated to say the least i can only hope the sound provider would have those items. Another reason is if i use SPIDIF to connect the cdj's to the dj mixer and go analog out that really defeats the purpose anyways

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.