ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Industrial quality CDJ connections  (Read 20670 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Industrial quality CDJ connections
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »

Yes i will use studio one as my DAW and route the output to the SPIDIF on the interface, going out of the spidif via a Spidif to AES cable into the sound board

You seemed to have missed that there is no SPIDF to AES cable. You can have an RCA to XLR but that doesn't convert the protocols.

You do not understand digital and clocking and you are not listening to the experts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »

I do indeed want to try to go Digital simply because it's being recorded and i want to have the highest quality possible recording. The steps you mentioned sound........rather complicated to say the least i can only hope the sound provider would have those items. Another reason is if i use SPIDIF to connect the cdj's to the dj mixer and go analog out that really defeats the purpose anyways

Re-inventing the wheel...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 06:13:59 PM »

Another reason is if i use SPIDIF to connect the cdj's to the dj mixer and go analog out that really defeats the purpose anyways

It's not complicated, you are making it complicated.  You are making a recording of a recording so I get it you think if you send it digital you are going to get a better digital recording.  Maybe in theory but not in practice.

Is this recording something being done by a distributor to sell the content or for broadcast?  If so let them worry about it.  There are many issues, you don't want to record the FOH mix so if the folks paying for the recording care then they are going to split the input anyway and send it to the recording engineers equipment.

On the other hand if FOH is making you a recording you can only hope and pray and maybe bribe them to make you a clean mix. 

SPDIF is a consumer standard that is sometimes used in home studios.  It doesn't have a place in  pro audio.  I am not an Avid expert but I thought the I/O in the Profile (which is a series of console and I/O racks not a product I think) was all external.  In any case I further think you are mistaking ADAT connectors for SPDIF.  Just because a connector is the same doesn't mean the signal is the S/PDIF can be optical or electrical but is not the same as AES.  AES is balanced and like 8 volts P2P and S/PDIF is 1/2 volt designed for short distances and little noise immunity rejection.  The cable you found is odd, and not powered so it is a gimmick.  If you handed it to me I would put it in the trash. 

If you are hiring and paying the PA provider you could have a meeting, bring your gear and work out a digital interface if that is what you want and are willing to pay for.  If that is not the case, be a pro and hand them XLR's and move on.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »

@Rob They make a cable that claims to do that http://www.fullcompass.com/product/354649.html i did ask and TJ said it would likely work. Note this is no longer about the longer run from the DJ Mixer but a shorter 15 foot cable from the laptop to the sound console in FOH. I don't 100% understand clocking it sounds like Timecode pretty much.

@Dick ??????>?>?>?>?>?>?.?.?.?

@Scott The Recording will not be for broadcast or commercial use, I personally want a copy to be able to listen back to it. It may be used to sync with videos that are recorded and uploaded on youtube of the dj sets. The photo i was using to reference the profile is http://www.gearsourcecdn.com/gearsource/v5/shared/image/listing/normal/d436e71b-68bd-442e-9bc0-34f92d47c422.jpg

I was never planing on going into the sound desk with a SPIDIF line but rather a SPIDIF to AES cable as i linked.

From what i was told a few hours ago it should work since the distance is very short if not i would need something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/395533-REG/Hosa_Technology_CDL_313_CDL_313_Data_Link.html

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »

@Rob They make a cable that claims to do that http://www.fullcompass.com/product/354649.html i did ask and TJ said it would likely work. Note this is no longer about the longer run from the DJ Mixer but a shorter 15 foot cable from the laptop to the sound console in FOH. I don't 100% understand clocking it sounds like Timecode pretty much.

@Dick ??????>?>?>?>?>?>?.?.?.?

@Scott The Recording will not be for broadcast or commercial use, I personally want a copy to be able to listen back to it. It may be used to sync with videos that are recorded and uploaded on youtube of the dj sets. The photo i was using to reference the profile is http://www.gearsourcecdn.com/gearsource/v5/shared/image/listing/normal/d436e71b-68bd-442e-9bc0-34f92d47c422.jpg

I was never planing on going into the sound desk with a SPIDIF line but rather a SPIDIF to AES cable as i linked.

From what i was told a few hours ago it should work since the distance is very short if not i would need something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/395533-REG/Hosa_Technology_CDL_313_CDL_313_Data_Link.html

Timecode has nothing to do with clocking.  That picture is of the I/O box not the console.  You have no idea what I/O cards they will have installed nor what inputs they are going to be mapped to.  I really doubt the AES would be mapped to a main mix fader so you are asking the engineer to change his input list.  I don't think that is going to happen.

No matter what you do you are not going to hear the difference anyway.  I noticed you didn't even respond to my question about a dry mix?  Do you have the ability to contact the PA provider?  If you do ask them if you can use a digital input. 

Yes, the blue box think from Hosa is an active device and would properly convert from S/PDIF to AES.  External clock is the only issue you don't have to worry about, AES is plesiochronous in almost all practical applications for live sound.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »

Considering the entire show is 4 channels all stereo maybe he will be nice enough to change it. I most likely wont hear a difference live but it's the recording quality that im concerned about. The Dry mix...humm i mean how much could they change the sound? Some compression im sure perhaps a bit of EQ but i can't imagine it would really affect it that much

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »

Considering the entire show is 4 channels all stereo maybe he will be nice enough to change it. I most likely wont hear a difference live but it's the recording quality that im concerned about. The Dry mix...humm i mean how much could they change the sound? Some compression im sure perhaps a bit of EQ but i can't imagine it would really affect it that much

A bit of compression and a some EQ is going to change quite a bit compared to the inaudible difference between the balanced XLR's and the digital signal we just can't seem to talk you out of using.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »

A bit of compression and a some EQ is going to change quite a bit compared to the inaudible difference between the balanced XLR's and the digital signal we just can't seem to talk you out of using.

Im not sure how exactly i would get a "Dry mix" considering i need the master from the sound desk. As for the digital you may be happy to know that at least for the DJ Mixer's master out i guess i'll just use XLR's. Does it not defeat the propose of the CDJ's being plugged in via spidif?

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »

Im not sure how exactly i would get a "Dry mix" considering i need the master from the sound desk. As for the digital you may be happy to know that at least for the DJ Mixer's master out i guess i'll just use XLR's. Does it not defeat the propose of the CDJ's being plugged in via spidif?

I won't be happy or sad.  I have no emotional attachment to what you are trying to achieve.

The dry mix would be done with an AUX send to answer that question.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tony Rivieras

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »

I won't be happy or sad.  I have no emotional attachment to what you are trying to achieve.

The dry mix would be done with an AUX send to answer that question.

Alrighty then......well what about the CDJ's being connected via spidif only for the master to go out analog? does that not defeat the purpose of using Spidif on the CDJ connections?

And at least getting the recording actually recorded seems to be the easy part

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.