ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for playing and storing your music  (Read 4207 times)

joel barker

Source for playing and storing your music
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:53:47 PM »

I am new to this DJ business so What is the easiest way to turn your music from a music library into a show? I have been using MP3 files on flash drives and creating my folder before hand for the event. Ive got mainly about 4000 songs I would consider staples in the business that I pull from. I know there has to be many other ways to do this and some are probably easier. I hat ITunes but if I have to I will give it another shot.

royaljenner

Re: Source for playing and storing your music
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:15 AM »

I am new to this DJ business so What is the easiest way to turn your music from a music library into a show? I have been using MP3 files on flash drives and creating my folder before hand for the event. Ive got mainly about 4000 songs I would consider staples in the business that I pull from. I know there has to be many other ways to do this and some are probably easier. I hat ITunes but if I have to I will give it another shot.

Hello Joel,
Are you using any kind of software specifically created for DJ's?  Examples are VIRTUAL DJ, SERATO, TRAKTOR ???

I am a virtual DJ (www.virtualdj.com) user and find it very easy to do what I think you are explaining as your difficulty.  Tip:  there are various vdj versions available.  One is the free home download, try that out and if you like the structure and ease with which you can do things, pay the 300 and get the full pro version.  I'm sure you won't regret it.
(Beware of cracks on the net as they're not necessarily stable and typically imbedded with Trojan spyware)

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:09:25 AM »

Do you mean playback software or physical storage?

If you are serious about dj work pick your poison basing decision on preferred hardware or software brand, Do you want a physical control surface or is on screen enough?
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »

Based on your Question you will need the following:
Laptop with a Large Hard drive (Or you can have an external Hard Drive)
DJ Software (I use Traktor)
Soundcard or Suitable Interface (If you are going to use an USB Controller with an onboard Soundcard you can dispense with the above mentioned Soundcard/Interface
Controller
These are all considered Sources, which in turn will give you the ability to store your complete Library so you don't have to pick and choose what to put on a Flash drive. It will also equip you with the power to build and save Playlists based on any Format/Theme/Event etc you deem fit.
I personally have not used nor intend to use and hope I will never use iTunes. You should not have to depend on a Consumer product to help you set up your Library, Organization and playlists.
I hope this helps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.