ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with speaker choice and install location to achieve best coverage!  (Read 14275 times)

Dennis Bokov

Re: Help with speaker choice and install location to achieve best coverage!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 01:23:52 AM »

My only other choice would be a front mono cluster and another cluster half way down the room, thus to stay away from the duct and place the speakers higher to lessen the difference in distance between the nearest and furthest listener.
Here is my attempt to place a two speaker cluster on the diagram like you described is below. Due to astatic reasons i believe the front center cluster won't be approved by the church board. 

Dennis Bokov

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 01:32:00 AM »

Looking at your photos, the current delay speakers are decently located front to back but they are too high and buried behind the lights and the air duct and possibly a little bit too far forward. I would hang 2 new speakers at the front of the room right where the current ones are as their location looks good. I would hang a second pair just forward of the peak in the main beams and just below the air duct so there is no blockage of the coverage pattern.

This should break the room up into 4 seperate quarters, each being covered by one main speaker. I see this as the best compromise of point source vs SPL. Use an installation speaker with a fairly wide coverage pattern but verify you won't wash the side walls too much. I'm thinking a speaker with a 100 degree nominal pattern such as the install version of a QSC K10 or equivalent might work well.

Here is the diagram below. Did i place the speakers correctely according to your suggestion?

Dennis Bokov

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 01:38:36 AM »

Here is another possible speaker position that appears to provide good coverage. it says 85 degree on the angle, because i was thinking about the JBL Marquis MS112 speakers that i have. They are 85x85 nominal coverage down to 500z. The two speaker in the cluster are splayed at 70 degrees. I was just playing around to see how will it look on the graph.

Is it a good idea to place it like that?

Dennis Bokov

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 01:47:54 AM »

The front center cluster won't work due to the air duct on the left that will be blocking much of the left speaker. I can't hang the cluster lower to clear the speaker from the duct due to "beauty" reasons. Pastor doesn't like it to be so low.

Looking at all the diagrams above, which one do you think is the best compromise to achieve the best coverage?

Let's talk only about the speaker placement locations for optimal balanced coverage. Remember, the speaker system rigging and tuning is not part of this discussion for now.

thank you for your time for thinking and posting your response!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:23:03 AM by Dennis Bokov »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 07:36:21 AM »

A rough sketch of a possible speaker position according to your suggestion. Center is 90 degree coverage and side fills are at 60 degree. How far down or up would you place the side speakers? it seems to that not all the seats will get a good coverage upfront .
That is not what I meant.

The side speakers should be to the sides of the main and pointed down and towards the walls.

This helps to maintain the "expanding wavefront" of the center speaker.

When you have patterns that start to go in different directions (as shown) you start having all sorts of interference.

Think of it as pebbles in a pond, you want the main ripple to be continued-not interfered with.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »

Here is another possible speaker position that appears to provide good coverage. it says 85 degree on the angle, because i was thinking about the JBL Marquis MS112 speakers that i have. They are 85x85 nominal coverage down to 500z. The two speaker in the cluster are splayed at 70 degrees. I was just playing around to see how will it look on the graph.

Is it a good idea to place it like that?
In the middle of the room you will have all kinds of interference-because you have 2 sources arriving at different times.

Drop 2 pebbles in a pond spaced like you have them and look at the ripples and see what happens. 

It gets  ugly when the ripples start to meet.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »

Due to astatic reasons i believe the front center cluster won't be approved by the church board.
And that is EXACTLY WHY it is important to disclose such things as "where we are not allowed to put the speakers" up front-so people do not wasted time working on a design that will not be approved.

Sometimes the customer makes it REAL HARD to put a workable system into a room because of the "looks".

It's funny how they can put lights everywhere, but not speakers-------

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.