ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: VPN set up for running Yamaha console control on a Dante network  (Read 16302 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC

I have seen discussion of being able to split the ports on a switch such that some are isolated into a separate network for use in connections ( such as a wifi ) that do not want to mix traffic with Dante data.  In Googling around for pointers on this I find WAY too much information on elements of VPN set up that are pretty clearly not applicable to what I want to do.  Does anyone have a link to a concise rendition of setting Cisco or Netgear switches create a VPN on some portion of the ports?

Sunil.Karanjikar

Re: VPN set up for running Yamaha console control on a Dante network
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »

Hi Riley,
From what you say you want to be looking up VLAN not VPN

Ade Stuart

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:42 PM »

I have seen discussion of being able to split the ports on a switch such that some are isolated into a separate network for use in connections ( such as a wifi ) that do not want to mix traffic with Dante data.  In Googling around for pointers on this I find WAY too much information on elements of VPN set up that are pretty clearly not applicable to what I want to do.  Does anyone have a link to a concise rendition of setting Cisco or Netgear switches create a VPN on some portion of the ports?

As Sunil says, you're probably looking for a VLAN setup. There's some good info on the Yamaha website http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/training_support/selftraining/dante_guide/

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:46:54 PM »

Here is a good little tutorial on configuring a Cisco SG500 series switch. http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-switches/885-cisco-switches-sg500-52p.html

There is a bit more required than just creating a couple VLans and assigning ports to a specific VLan.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

Ah ha !  Looking for the right term would have made for a much better start.  Thanks for the pointers.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »

Ah ha !  Looking for the right term would have made for a much better start.  Thanks for the pointers.

Yes, all you need is to use VLAN's for the port, don't chance config of the Yamaha.

The Cisco small biz stuff is actually harder to use that the enterprise switches you configure from a command line.

Here are the gotcha's in your gear:

1 - Make sure you set the PVID for the VLAN you want the port to be a member of
2 - In the port to VLAN table make sure you exclude the other active VLAN's from the port, even if the port is not a member of that VLAN.

If you allow two VLAN's to a single port really bad things happen and you defeat your purpose.

Good luck!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:57 PM »

How big a network are you talking about?

What are the devices?

I run 2 dante ports from my LS9, the console port and a MacBook into the four switch ports of my router/WAP and use a wireless tablet. The Dante data goes to the MacBook and the tablet controls the LS9. I record 24-32 channels.
I have had no issues with the mixed usage. There really is a lot of capacity in the network gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »

Riley,
VLANs are indeed what you want, as pointed out above. A small switch that support VLANs properly would be my choice. In your case you'll configure the switch for a pair of VLANs, placing the wireless access point on the VLAN which supports the need for wireless access. The WAP can be configured to support WPA2 and security won't be a problem.

Creating multiple virtual networks on the switch won't be much of an issue. The real issue will be configuring the VLANS to support your need for one direction security, simplified by your decisions as to what devices are going to be supported by which VLAN, and which devices need access to both, or only one, of the VLANs. Again not a really big deal if you plan properly. Drawings and diagrams are your friend here.

A small MANAGED switch should cost less than $200 and will usually have 8-12 ports on it. The ports can be expanded easily by adding additional switches, or even unmanaged hubs, following the 3-4-5 rule for connectivity, which in most small SOHO networks isn't even a thought.

I highly recommend a small switch from the Cisco 300 series. These switches won't leave you looking for a feature you need which isn't provided on other brand switches, and reliability is insured.

Here are links to a few you might look at.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-smart-switches/data_sheet_c78-610061.html

http://www.secureitstore.com/SF300-24.asp?gclid=CJ_qm_iYy8QCFRMV7Aod8EEAsA#

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ade Stuart

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »

I run 2 dante ports from my LS9, the console port and a MacBook into the four switch ports of my router/WAP and use a wireless tablet. The Dante data goes to the MacBook and the tablet controls the LS9. I record 24-32 channels.
I have had no issues with the mixed usage. There really is a lot of capacity in the network gear.

Rob, this is obviously working ok for you but I have seen problems with a similar setup where the netgear router would fall over after 12+ hours of use. I'm guessing that the the wireless was being inundated with dante traffic. Playing super safe, my prefered option is to have a switch for the Dante network and a separate WAP for Yamaha control.

edit: changed netgear switch to netgear router
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:46:07 PM by Ade Stuart »

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »

I too just run both Dante and console/amplifier control mixed on the same network. I'm using Cisco SG300 switches setup as described on yamahaproaudio.com. This ensures that the critical clock and audio packets will get prioritized over other traffic, but there's ton of headroom in most Dante setups, certainly in mine.

I'm often running:

60 channels from two Rios to CL5
16 channels back to Rios
32 channels to a Focusrite Rednet that feeds a MyMix system
4 channels from Shure ULX-D
16 channels from my-slot to a QL1 for Dugan automix
16 channels back from QL1
64 to Macbook for recording

And there's no trouble using the network for both Powersoft Armonia control and CL and QL control simultaneously.

Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.