ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear-Com Help  (Read 2497 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Clear-Com Help
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:13:36 pm »

We seem to be getting several larger shows than usual this year, which means that we will be hiring in more and more lighting.  I have a friend who will rent me a Clear-Com setup for $100 per show, not bad.  However, this year I have at least 12 shows that I will need to have some kind of communications for.  I am thinking purchase rather than rent and then I have a system I can use and can rent.

My requirements are that I can have two separate channels working on a base station.  We are going to be doing several shows that will have an LD as well as two spot operators.  I think that should be one channel set.  Additionally, I would like to be able to use a second channel to call audio from FOH to the stage.  I have been doing some checking on the web and it looks like I could get a Clear-Com MS-702 base station and then three or four RS-701 remote stations.

I know absolutely nothing about the Clear-Com systems except how to plug them in and turn them on.  So I am wondering if this type of system make sense to purchase and if I am on the right track.  Any constructive suggestions are welcome.  ;)

Thanks

Bill  8)
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Clear-Com Help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »

I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:01:32 am »

http://prointercomllc.com/products

And just so the OP knows, the Pro Intercom stuff is analog "clear-com" compatible.

"Clear-Com" has almost become a "kleenex" type term that many people use to describe show intercoms.

However you should see what type of system your local customers are currently renting and get something that works with that as many rent to enlarge their existing systems -and many aren't "clear-com" direct compatible (such as Telex or RTS)

For me, it used to be RTS or nothing when it came to complete comm systems for productions, (working with other co's for staging, lights, video and talent IFB) but that was a while ago, I'm sure digital systems have taken over that level of show now. 

For sound company (FOH to stage type use) it seemed like "clear-com format" ruled and because of that lots of Production Intercom gear. 
Likewise church, school and community theater really used Production Intercom above all others.
Good reliable gear that I'm glad they are back in business.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:48:24 am »

Tim, Tom and Craig, thanks for your responses.  Tim, I think you are in Indiana so I will be reaching out to you via PM.

Thanks
Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

John Penkala

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:13:04 am »

We seem to be getting several larger shows than usual this year, which means that we will be hiring in more and more lighting.  I have a friend who will rent me a Clear-Com setup for $100 per show, not bad.  However, this year I have at least 12 shows that I will need to have some kind of communications for.  I am thinking purchase rather than rent and then I have a system I can use and can rent.

My requirements are that I can have two separate channels working on a base station.  We are going to be doing several shows that will have an LD as well as two spot operators.  I think that should be one channel set.  Additionally, I would like to be able to use a second channel to call audio from FOH to the stage.  I have been doing some checking on the web and it looks like I could get a Clear-Com MS-702 base station and then three or four RS-701 remote stations.

I know absolutely nothing about the Clear-Com systems except how to plug them in and turn them on.  So I am wondering if this type of system make sense to purchase and if I am on the right track.  Any constructive suggestions are welcome.  ;)

Thanks

Bill  8)

Bill,
      FWIW, A two channel com system with single channel packs is a single channel com system.  If you go two channel, you should go with the RS-703 belt packs. It gives you much more flexibility. However, you'll need at least one TWC-701 to put 2 channels of com on a single 3pin XLR.

JP

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:50:01 am »

Just don't use the '03 series (2-channels down 1 XLR) if you want compatibility with anything else or want to use call flashers.
Personally, I would not recommend that system.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber