ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard Panning Necessary??  (Read 13481 times)

Jasen Chung .

Re: Keyboard Panning Necessary??
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »

Wow.. I'm the OP. I'm glad I asked. Seems like some good conversations have come about. So I finally went back to my board and I tried putting a "centered" position to my panning for both left and right inputs. It definitely brought a lot of clarity and highs back where I felt it was very hollow no matter what I did. I'm assuming also that because my soundboards position is more to the left speaker facing the stage, I'm getting more of the low end.

Regardless, I also tested my studio  monitor that I have that I recently just got thats placed a foot in front of me so I get the SPL's & clarity I need since my SH96's are pointed more toward the audience than where I'm standing. Both the main L & R busses are feeding my single studio monitor. I messed around with the knobs and I got a "phasing" response where panning hard left and right gave such a hollowed sound without the meat of the piano patches, and bringing back toward the center positions gave me the clarity I always thought I needed. To note, the same effect happened in the mains; and for both keyboards.

Just to note, I am NOT using two piano patches. One is for more a Atmospheric Pad layer, and the other is for strictly piano.

I think basically going mono is best for my system from what I'm hearing with very slight panning.

Just an update from my end!

Jens Droessler

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 11:27:37 PM »

If your PA system is already mono as you stated in your first post, your statement in the last post doesn't make any sense. Only the volume level will change if you pan the synth channels to center instead of left and right in that case.

Also, with a good PA (and I'd consider the Danleys to be good) you don't need much EQ in the synth channels. Take out the lows a bit, maybe harsh 3kHz a bit (but only if the sound will still cut through in the mix) and that's it. Everything else should be done by editing the sound patches!

Jasen Chung .

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 11:34:14 PM »

Sorry, but thats just what I clearly hear with my ears.  It's not just merely a volume change but a depth & richness changed to the EQ. For example when I hard pan left and right, the lows stay in the same SPL and the sound literally hollows out.

That's just how it is, regardless if it makes sense or not.

Yes the Danleys are freaking amazing, very little EQ to the speakers themselves, but the patches needed some cuts in 250HZ and a HPF to get the muddiness out but I believe thats very subjective to the mix, patch & music type.

If your PA system is already mono as you stated in your first post, your statement in the last post doesn't make any sense. Only the volume level will change if you pan the synth channels to center instead of left and right in that case.

Also, with a good PA (and I'd consider the Danleys to be good) you don't need much EQ in the synth channels. Take out the lows a bit, maybe harsh 3kHz a bit (but only if the sound will still cut through in the mix) and that's it. Everything else should be done by editing the sound patches!

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »

Seems you've never programmed a synth before.  Sound designers (they are a lot smarter than you think) do not design patches for playing on a PA or in mono.  That ain't going to sell the board.  Having it sound good in mono is the LAST THING on their minds.

Most keyboards and the patches on them are optimized for stereo playback.  Stereo effects are crucial to adding ambience and "meat" to what would otherwise sound thin (and lousy in Guitar Center.)

Every keyboard that I know of has an easy way to bypass the built-in effects.  It's the EFX BYPASS button.

JR
That was the essense of my previous posts if you read carefully. As you can see 'idiots' were in '' just to respond to a specific post.

If you by synths mean dx7, juno, tritons and even my current korg kronos - Then yes, I have/am programming synths. Not so much nowdays, but still...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »

Well if your getting phasing issues in a mono mix with stereo panned patches you may be hearing mid side artifacts of the keyboard patch? Obviously the patch is summing back to mono incorrectly in some way.

If I run a mono mix ( one where both speakers are fed the same signal from one send ) I do one of two things. I either do not pan anything at all and run out the stereo master L side output, or send signal from the desk from either the mono out ( if it has one ) or from an auxillary.

It is true that many patches on keyboards these days are highly reliant on stereo operation. However any keyboard worth it's salt that has an output labeled Mono, should have no problem summing the signal down into a single line. In your case for channel count reduction and reducing potential issues, I would run the keys in mono only, fed from their mono outs.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jens Droessler

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »

Please explain exactly how your gear is hooked up from mixer to speakers. Something seems to be strange. If you had a true mono system there would be no difference but volume if you pan both stereo channels to center, because it wouldn't matter where the signals are summed to mono, the result would be the same (except sound, as said).

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 02:43:10 AM »

Back to your original question:  short of needing to record in stereo, why is it that you are not using the L/mono out from each keyboard?
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 02:43:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.