ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Genny Voltage Fluctuation Issues  (Read 5294 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Genny Voltage Fluctuation Issues
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:18 AM »

Internet post analysis:

If you didn't pay enough attention to the make, model and size (capacity) of the generator then there's every possibility that the generator was under-sized for the task.

Another tell is your statement that the entire rig worked with you at the board but the BE for the headliner pushed it harder and problems resulted.  this also points to lack of capacity.

You should be taking charge of spec'ing generator size and if you're already doing so, go larger.  If you're leaving it to the lampies it's likely they're not considering the headroom necessary to deal with dynamic loads.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Zach DeCou

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »

Internet post analysis:

If you didn't pay enough attention to the make, model and size (capacity) of the generator then there's every possibility that the generator was under-sized for the task.

Another tell is your statement that the entire rig worked with you at the board but the BE for the headliner pushed it harder and problems resulted.  this also points to lack of capacity.

You should be taking charge of spec'ing generator size and if you're already doing so, go larger.  If you're leaving it to the lampies it's likely they're not considering the headroom necessary to deal with dynamic loads.

I appreciate your frankness. The generator size was very much a part of the conversation at the time of the investigation, but as it has been several months, I don't have those figures in my head. I have never had any input during the spec'ing of cross rental generators, but I certainly can in the future. The point of this post is to help me determine what my next course of action should be ahead of our outdoor show season.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »

I appreciate your frankness. The generator size was very much a part of the conversation at the time of the investigation, but as it has been several months, I don't have those figures in my head. I have never had any input during the spec'ing of cross rental generators, but I certainly can in the future. The point of this post is to help me determine what my next course of action should be ahead of our outdoor show season.

So Hiring A Generator 101...

- Always spec larger then you think you'll need. If math says you need 20kW, get a 45kW. (A buddy of mine does a show that has a house L21-30 available. Whereas his rig is efficient enough he could run it on there, [SRX722/718, 2 over 4/side, 6ish SRX712Ms, LS9], he still brings me and my 45kW in for it. Just to be safe.)
- Remember that on some lines, like the MQ WhiserWatts, the Main Breaker still controls the cams, to its rated capacity. On a 25kW, that's 60A/leg. On a 45kW, that's 110A/leg.
- Meter. And meter again. Have a good relationship with your gennie provider so that you aren't afraid to kick a bad genset back at them.
- Use a company that has local backup units available, in case of the unforeseen. (If they only have one or two units, and you have the bad one, and the other one is hired out already... uh oh.)
- Make sure that your power needs aren't an after thought. Power is vital to the show, and should have top priority in making sure it is there, stable and clean and well fueled.

You're doing good, Zach, to start thinking about this now! Where are you located? Are there any rental houses with generators with whom you could start building a relationship? If I knew I was getting, say, 20-30 rentals from you over the summer, you can be damn certain you will be getting my best gear all of the time. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.