ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ALTO Line Array ? Everybody wants a Line Array Part II  (Read 34653 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: ALTO Line Array ? Everybody wants a Line Array Part II
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »

Depends on the hotel, of course, but generally, if hotels have appropriate rigging points, they're going to want either their in-house people, or a rigger of their approval to do the work. A rigger worth his salt isn't going to set up a system unless he's confident it's safe. Hotels aren't generally going to want an unsafe suspension system deployed in their ballrooms, mainly for liability reasons, but they'll also look stupid if it all fails.

I suspect that the hotel has rigging points that were utilized in flying this system. However, who knows about the hoists. Haha.

Looking through the pictures on that dude's Facebook, sounds like he has one (ore more SC48s) and the M32 is an addition to his inventory-- since SC48s aren't exactly a bottom feeder board, perhaps one of you kids with a Facebook account could invite the guy to PSW. Worse case, we get another contributing member, but best case, we can hear, first hand, "from the horse's mouth" how the audio quality of these Seismic Audio boxes is. I mean, he bought six, and presumably they sound good enough to him (and his clients) that he has purchased six more.

Then we can offer critique on safe rigging practices... haha. Or, he'll have more/better photos to show what he's doing. Win-win overall, if you ask me.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

MIKE Lynn

• Lynn Sound Systems
Lynn Sound Systems INC.
Crown-I-tech , JBL-VRX/VTX , Soundcraft, Shure

MIKE Lynn

• Lynn Sound Systems
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »

Also, where did you hear that Seismic could not keep them in stock.  Their own blog admitted they did one test run, looks like they finally sold all but one box.  Interesting to see if they restock.  Not one review of them online.

A friend of mine bought 2 to test them out , Like I said above , they sound Ok , (Like a Mid grade Peavey) with A bunch of procesing. The first 2 he ordered were out of that first batch they got, they sould out quick within a week of going on sale. After my friend got them he liked them enough that he wanted 2 more so hes been watching to see whaen they came back in stock , checking on ocasion  and they did get them back in but by the time he went to order the pair they only had 1 left , and he had to wait 2 months for another shipment to come in to get the  other. After he bought it he checked back and they we sold out again by the end of that week so they are moving some product.
Lynn Sound Systems INC.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »

A friend of mine bought 2 to test them out , Like I said above , they sound Ok , (Like a Mid grade Peavey) with A bunch of procesing. The first 2 he ordered were out of that first batch they got, they sould out quick within a week of going on sale. After my friend got them he liked them enough that he wanted 2 more so hes been watching to see whaen they came back in stock , checking on ocasion  and they did get them back in but by the time he went to order the pair they only had 1 left , and he had to wait 2 months for another shipment to come in to get the  other. After he bought it he checked back and they we sold out again by the end of that week so they are moving some product.

A couple of boxes does not make a line array-it is just a couple of boxes stacked together.

Things start to change when you do things right or the way they were intended to be used.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »

WOW thats scary

Scary rigging aside, that seems like a lot of effort to get the speakers up just a *bit* higher than stacking them on some subs.

Jason

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »

Scary rigging aside, that seems like a lot of effort to get the speakers up just a *bit* higher than stacking them on some subs.

Jason

Damn ugly too with the unsupported feed going to it with a single pick.

Must be his mother that posted Wow under the photo.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

MIKE Lynn

• Lynn Sound Systems
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »

A couple of boxes does not make a line array-it is just a couple of boxes stacked together.

Things start to change when you do things right or the way they were intended to be used.

A Box with a 50 degree vertical dispersion isnt a line array box to begin with I would consider it a flown point source box. so when we rig the 2 together we hav 90Hx100V but the box isn cut on a 50 degee angle anyway so no matter what your going to have veritcal comb filtering going on. Its a flyable point source box that looks like a line array. Two of these boxes , 1 per side isnt much differnt (in terms of dispersion) than say using  JBL SR 4726 that has a 90x50 pattern. By rigging 6 together it should  theoretically sound worse because of vertical comb filtering. Would you stack 6 JBL SR 4726 boxes and expect it to sound better because you used more ? 
Lynn Sound Systems INC.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »

I was thinking exactly the same thing. 

Steve.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »

I was thinking exactly the same thing. 

Steve.

If I gathered correctly from his spacebook page, apparently, that room is his "living room" at his house, where he's got a bunch of stuff setup all the time, and his friends can come and jam and such. So I THINK that's "brand new gear, let's set it up and plug it in and see how it sounds" playing around.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chris Burns

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 12:44:38 PM »

I called Seismic twice, more out of curiosity and asked both times if their literature or marketing was wrong, as the vertical disp read 50 degrees. Both times I spoke to the same man, discussed comb filtering, etc and in both instances he couldn't answer the question. Answer both times: "well guy were selling a lot of them so they must sound good.  " I was looking around at some drivers, horns etc for a possible DIY point source box project, and came across PVR Drivers of Brazil. The horn in the Seismic is identical to a horn they advertise as "line array" but has indeed a 90x50 dispersion. They have a DIY LA box design on there too, twin 10" woofers and a 1.4" comp driver on a point source horn. Looks almost identical to the Seismic.

The alto may be a step above, seems the design theory is at least sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 12:44:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.