ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ALTO Line Array ? Everybody wants a Line Array Part II  (Read 24796 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Re: ALTO Line Array ? Everybody wants a Line Array Part II
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:57:40 pm »

Wow that rig job is nothing short of scary.

That's a single steel line on what looks like a truck winch from Harbor Freight.

I have never done any rigging/flying of speakers before and even I thought it looked dodgy as.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »

Here's another one from the same guy:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204670357777533&set=pcb.10204670358457550&type=1&permPage=1

Arbitrary posts from facebook are not really the professional review most reader expect to find here.

Thomas Le

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 05:43:45 pm »

Arbitrary posts from facebook are not really the professional review most reader expect to find here.

Considering that it's the lounge, at least we know it's in the wild as bad it may be.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 06:13:14 pm »

Considering that it's the lounge, at least we know it's in the wild as bad it may be.

The reason we have a real name policy in these forums is so when someone makes a claim they are backing it up with their own credibility. There is no such link in a facebook post. Linking to a facebook post has no value here.

Mac

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:26:14 pm »

Never hear a ground stacked line array that sounds better than a proper point source so not sure where the fascination with the form factor comes from. 

Well, it also depends on what goes you're comparing. I changed one event's rig this year from 2/side SRX725 to 4/side VT4888. The 725s were just plain running out of steam, so having the larger stacks and higher output was a major night and day difference.

For some odd reason line array's seem to communicate prestige and professionalism.  Guess that's worth something.

Odd reason? There's a knowledge leap that has to be made (well, should be made… seems a lot of people skip that step!) when moving to a line array based system-- predictions of coverage, rigging principles, etc, and as it can't be done by just one person, you move to full crew requirements. Less prestige, though, and just more professional-- I can be a sole operator, just fine, to a certain point, but then when I need to find/hire/retain qualified technicians as well, that does show that a company is in it for the long haul as opposed to being a fly by night outfit.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 11:14:22 pm »

Here's another one from the same guy:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204670357777533&set=pcb.10204670358457550&type=1&permPage=1

Yes I went to his page with the same fascination one looks at a car accident.

Granted I don't do much hotel work but I have never seen winches built into the ceiling like that.  It doesn't give you any way for a safety cable with a single load line.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:43:26 am »

"Interesting rigging", to say the least. As to the hotel picture, I have to give the guy a bit of credit for finding a creative way to run GAC down through a suspended ceiling without poking holes. Who knows what sort of steel he has tied to as a pick point. The other picture shows what looks like a chunk of steel I-beam (raised on what kinda look like ST-132 lifts).  The bridle angles on the zinc plated chain scare me big time (not to mention the slack on some of the bridle legs....)  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Richard Turner

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 01:40:52 am »

sad fact is he could have had some rated cabled from fasenal or acklands-grainger for about the same price as that hardware store chain. Picture is blurry but it looks like he twisted the chain to shorten it.

Also looks like he bought another 6 and went with the M-32
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:40 am »

The bridle angles on the zinc plated chain scare me big time Mark C.

From a climbing point of view, that was the first thing I noticed as well (A lot of inwards force on the flying frame).

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 08:51:24 am »

Do you think that might be an in house fly point? And would that system work better if they were toed in a bit? I haven't heard them so I'll assume that they sound ok. But I'm optimistic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 08:51:24 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.