Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Road Test

QSC TouchMix-16

<< < (4/4)

John Roll:

--- Quote from: frank kayser on February 02, 2015, 04:16:13 PM ---I regularly use the TM16 via the WiFi dongle at 40' with no interruption, despite bring directly beneath a 600mw WiFi access point (12' ceiling mounted).  I was not expecting that performance.

The new menu does have "Pre All", "Pre-Dyn", "Pre-Fader", and "Post Fader" options.

frank

--- End quote ---
Frank, that's great news. After seeing this thread I went to the QSC forum for the Touchmix. There are more than a few posts about lockups and other weirdness that gave me chills. (I just had a lockup with my SL1642 that forced me to send it in for service) What's your experience?

John Roll:

--- Quote from: John Roll on February 03, 2015, 03:29:39 PM ---Frank, that's great news. After seeing this thread I went to the QSC forum for the Touchmix. There are more than a few posts about lockups and other weirdness that gave me chills. (I just had a lockup with my SL1642 that forced me to send it in for service) What's your experience?

--- End quote ---

BTW,
Someone in the Lounge commented on how it looked like the weight of the snake would pull it off of the surface it sat on. I currently have a copper snake and if I go this route the iPAD would be forthcoming. Will the TM16 handle the weight of the cable?

John

frank kayser:

--- Quote from: John Roll on February 03, 2015, 03:33:59 PM ---BTW,
Someone in the Lounge commented on how it looked like the weight of the snake would pull it off of the surface it sat on. I currently have a copper snake and if I go this route the iPAD would be forthcoming. Will the TM16 handle the weight of the cable?

John

--- End quote ---
John,
I have not had any type of lockup in the month we've owned it - I've used it for the in-house gigs at least 15 times.  I may have had a momentary drop in WiFi connection maybe 10 times at most.

The unit is more substantial than it looks - a fair amount of weight - I was actually a bit surprised.
That being said, put enough weight on the connectors, it will tip.
I have it on the top of an "upright" piano, and as long as I keep it 2"  or so from the edge, I do not have a problem with it tipping.  I think if there is any transition from the mixer to the edge, that will take enough cable weight/force vector to be fine.  The feet seem soft enough to grip, and not slip.
The cables I use are not a snake, but individual cables that drop to the stage deck about 4 feet - two mains cables and two aux cables, and at the most so far 12 channels.  The two main cables have a short jumper as the house cables have right angle connectors on them - so there is also the weight of t pairs of connectors unsupported.  If the cables or snake were to have a six or eight foot unsupported drop (vs my four), that would be a problem.
On a regular table, it isn't going anywhere.  I wish I could compare the stability to say, a Mackie 1608, but I can't.

I was very apprehensive of the non-standard power connector - but after seeing it and handling it, I've come away with a pretty good feeling that it is solid, and will not be a problem.  A caution is that the connector is quite tight, and could frustrate someone in a hurry to disconnect - I can guarantee that yanking on the cord will not disconnect the connector.  It feels more robust than a standard IEC connection.

Hope that helps.
frank

David Elthorpe:

--- Quote from: Don Davis on January 20, 2015, 04:17:42 PM ---It looks like the new firmware is out and has addressed some of the issues:

"New features include:
Support for password protected, multi-level security access
Expanded Wi-Fi options (including wired connection to an infrastructure router)
Programability of User Buttons
More options for auxiliary mix pick-off points
Expanded channel presets
Updated iOS app
Personal monitor mix application for both iPhone and iPod Touch
Operator may limit or allow access on a per-device basis
iPhone control of the record/playback transport controls and programmable user buttons
Android support (coming soon)
TouchMix v2.0 software standard on new TouchMix-16 and TouchMix-8 models and available as a free download at QSC.com for existing TouchMix owners."

I plan on talking to the folks at the QSC booth at NAMM before I pull the trigger.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version