ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear getting cold soaked  (Read 15811 times)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
Re: Gear getting cold soaked
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »

But not colder than the ambient temperature.  Wind chill factor is just a perception of coldness, not a measure.

Steve.
This is correct with regard to inanimate objects such as sound equipment; however, it's more than a perception concerning living beings as it speeds up the rate of heat loss and can be quite dangerous.

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

I live in a cold winter climate (Iowa) and the gear was stored in the truck all winter with temps in the minuses frequently.  No problems, just let it warm up.  I always opened the cable trunks immediately because fighting a very cold snake or feeder was a pain.  Play some music to get the PA going before you try and hit it hard as speakers can do bad things when going from freezing straight to xmax.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »

I live in a cold winter climate (Iowa) and the gear was stored in the truck all winter with temps in the minuses frequently.  No problems, just let it warm up.  I always opened the cable trunks immediately because fighting a very cold snake or feeder was a pain.  Play some music to get the PA going before you try and hit it hard as speakers can do bad things when going from freezing straight to xmax.

Lots of great responses, thanks again.

I did notice that the gear has operating temp limitations not storage.  I know my laptop does freaky thinks if I let it hard freeze then bring it inside and turn it on.  I thought I destroyed the screen once.

It's 7 degrees outside now.  You made a real good point about the electronics in the car.  I do get in my car with the interior frozen and crank the stereo up.  I know that those components, magnets, cone materials and such are no where near the quality of the pro gear and I have never blown a driver in the truck. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »

Digital consoles, wireless mics etc may have problems operating in very cold temps but transport and storage should not be any problem.
If you have the luxury time for the gear to heat to room temp, don't open the cases, let them warm up slowly. This allows the gear to warm without excessive sweating.
When doing outdoor shows, we never power down and try to keep a little bit of audio going at all times. Consoles need covers and heat.
My console last week was slow reacting when I changed layers because of the cold. 0 degrees F
I'm in Montana....  its a dry cold! :)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »

Digital consoles, wireless mics etc may have problems operating in very cold temps but transport and storage should not be any problem.
If you have the luxury time for the gear to heat to room temp, don't open the cases, let them warm up slowly. This allows the gear to warm without excessive sweating.
When doing outdoor shows, we never power down and try to keep a little bit of audio going at all times. Consoles need covers and heat.
My console last week was slow reacting when I changed layers because of the cold. 0 degrees F

You did an outdoor show in 0 degree weather?  Did anyone come?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Peter Morris

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 10:35:51 PM »

Ha ... was just driving and the thermometer in the car said it was 105, earlier in the week it was 115. Swap you a bucket of cold for some heat  :)

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »

You did an outdoor show in 0 degree weather?  Did anyone come?

The band that typically draws thousands here, drew a few hundred.
Some of the highlights:
Snare head split during soundcheck.

Homeless group was mad that the band only played one song untill I explained that that was only a sound check and the band would be back and play at least twice as long. At that point there was much rejoicing and hand shaking.

An icicle developed on the bass players sm58 vocal mic.

Wireless receiver would only do every other word.

Bands ears receivers quit working one by one.

Promoter provided little electric heaters. (like pissing in the ocean to change the salt content)

Percussionist gave me what was left of a bottle of blackberry brandy, I took the obligatory sip and gave the rest to a homeless guy.

Promoter employee kept putting a box of promo t shirts on top of a beam fixture till I took the box and threw it. Promoter employee was pissed at me until the percussionist took the entire box of shirts and dumped them in front of the stage. At that point he was not so mad at me. Percussionist and I laughed hysterically. 

A guy dressed as Gumby and carrying an inflatable sex doll was there all night...  alone!

The next morning my 54 year old knees wouldn't bend.

Ahhh the glamor of this job!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 10:55:56 PM »

i lived in Clinton Iowa 1981-1982. it snowed so much and was so cold it was considered a disaster area. the only problem i had with anything being outside was my 66 mustang hotrod. i had to leave the 4 speed in neutral and and parking brake off. if i didnt the brake shoes would freeze to the drums and the gear oil was be so thick i could put it in neutral. my Holley carb did not have a choke horn but with 2 pumps of the gas pedal the engine would fire right up. i would feather the gas pedal and keep the rpm around 2000 for a minute or two until the gear oil in the trans was warm enough to put it in 1st gear. the radio and tape player and all my electric gauges worked just fine. i would be about frozen and stiff until the coolant was warm enough for the heater to work.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 10:57:44 PM »

Ha ... was just driving and the thermometer in the car said it was 105, earlier in the week it was 115. Swap you a bucket of cold for some heat  :)
now those are my kind of temps. i like hot weather.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »

--snip--
I'm in Helena. Just curious, where be you?  I wonder if I can guess the band. 

..dave
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.