ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear getting cold soaked  (Read 15790 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Gear getting cold soaked
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:19:26 AM »

It looks inevitable.  I am going to have a van with 6 powered 12 .  two 18 a bunch of different mics,  mostly dynamic.  Its supposed to stay below freezing with highs in the single digit towards the end of week.

Should I be concerned?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ted Christensen

Re: Gear getting cold soaked
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:26:57 AM »

It looks inevitable.  I am going to have a van with 6 powered 12 .  two 18 a bunch of different mics,  mostly dynamic.  Its supposed to stay below freezing with highs in the single digit towards the end of week.

Should I be concerned?

You should be fine.  Just take extra time for things to warm up. Load in early. I cant remember what post but i read one on here where he was
opperating gear in those temps. Heck I was on a marathon with cold weather. Ls9 and dv-dosc. Worked fine.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »

You should be fine.  Just take extra time for things to warm up. Load in early. I cant remember what post but i read one on here where he was
opperating gear in those temps. Heck I was on a marathon with cold weather. Ls9 and dv-dosc. Worked fine.

Yes Ted, I recall that thread.  There was more discussion of condensation overnight than storage during the drive and overnights. 

The gear will be running inside so that is no concern.  This is also the first winter I have been tight on space so stuff is going to have to stay in the van.

Thanks

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ted Christensen

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:04:22 AM »

Yes Ted, I recall that thread.  There was more discussion of condensation overnight than storage during the drive and overnights. 

The gear will be running inside so that is no concern.  This is also the first winter I have been tight on space so stuff is going to have to stay in the van.

Thanks

If your gear is sub zero..and you go into a HUMID room..then your SOL. Your gear will sweat and that will cause bad things, but you will feel the humidity. As long as it doesn't sweat i don't see a problem.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:59:03 AM »

Put a heater in the van?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 07:38:28 AM »

Should I be concerned?
I have toured across Canada, in winter, more times than I care to admit and in VERY cold weather.
Didn't have any issued with gear going into clubs or arenas.
As stated before, open up the electronics and let ther gear warm up a bit.
We did have a finish crack on a guitar but that's another story.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »

I have toured across Canada, in winter, more times than I care to admit and in VERY cold weather.
Didn't have any issued with gear going into clubs or arenas.
As stated before, open up the electronics and let ther gear warm up a bit.
We did have a finish crack on a guitar but that's another story.
Personally, I take the mic box out, it stays with me (hotel room, house, wherever I am billeted). Everything else, open up all the lids as soon as you get the gear inside. By the time everything is placed and powered up, it is a non-issue.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »

Personally, I take the mic box out, it stays with me (hotel room, house, wherever I am billeted). Everything else, open up all the lids as soon as you get the gear inside. By the time everything is placed and powered up, it is a non-issue.

Great suggestions.  I always take MIC box out.  I think more financial, it's the most transportable dollars.

I have one of those plug in oil filled heaters.  I think I will plug it in when at house.  Nothing I can do on road trip.

Keep them coming.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »

Great suggestions.  I always take MIC box out.  I think more financial, it's the most transportable dollars.

I have one of those plug in oil filled heaters.  I think I will plug it in when at house.  Nothing I can do on road trip.

Keep them coming.

I insulated my trailer and put in an "RV" receptacle so I can plug in to shore power to run my oil-filled radiator.  I wouldn't give odds on any SO cable being stolen, though.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »

All of this stuff has sat in unheated shipping containers in subzero weather at one time or another before being delivered to retailers.

Gear is delivered from cold trucks to warm stores all the time.

Follow the advice to load in early and open up the cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.