ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible RPBG Outlet in church  (Read 10154 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Possible RPBG Outlet in church
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »

I want to know how many people have actually picked up a burning console to take outside so they can pour water on it? Of course after they have unplugged it.
I think that's the ideal.
I'd have powered the rig down and probably have used a fire extinguisher.
Of course, unless CO2 or HALON extinguisher, that would be a VERY BAD idea for the electronics - if it wasn't totaled before the fire, it would have been after using the extinguisher. BC and ABC powders tend to bond with hot electronics, summarily ruining them - hence the reason data centers use HALON (or used to, at least)

Power off, water in place to put out the smoldering wreck.  Make sure it is UNPLUGGED, not simply turned off as the power switch doesn't break ground, which with RPBG, chassis would still be hot (electrically).
Even after unplugging, moving it could cause burns to oneself, and if you don't make it, could be dropped in a more combustible area.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »

I think that's the ideal.
I'd have powered the rig down and probably have used a fire extinguisher.
Of course, unless CO2 or HALON extinguisher, that would be a VERY BAD idea for the electronics - if it wasn't totaled before the fire, it would have been after using the extinguisher. BC and ABC powders tend to bond with hot electronics, summarily ruining them - hence the reason data centers use HALON (or used to, at least)

Power off, water in place to put out the smoldering wreck.  Make sure it is UNPLUGGED, not simply turned off as the power switch doesn't break ground, which with RPBG, chassis would still be hot (electrically).
Even after unplugging, moving it could cause burns to oneself, and if you don't make it, could be dropped in a more combustible area.
CO2 gives a pretty nasty cold-shock to the electronics. I have an old Halon at FOH that I hope to never use....
and no, you don't want to carry hot/burning shit. That's just silly.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

CO2 gives a pretty nasty cold-shock to the electronics. I have an old Halon at FOH that I hope to never use....

I have an old  co2 extinguisher, because I was too cheap to buy a Halon decades ago... Glad I've never had to use it. The thermal shock of a CO2 extinguisher seems minor compared to dry chemical. Remember the gear is on fire at the time.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »

Halon extinguisers are illegal in most circumstances here (Australia.)

The item on fire will probably be a write-off.  You just want to stop the fire and smoke from spreading.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 11:02:57 PM »

If you set it off, you'd be best going the opposite way.  I have never seen a portable unit - always installed.  The halon I encountered were in either lights-out or highly automated installations.  Halon is a sure way to suffocate a fire, and anyone too near.  Use LOTS of caution with Halon.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 02:31:22 AM »

Halon is banned for environmental reasons in US.  We have been using the replacement FM200 for years.  There is not much to burn in a modern data center.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Daniel Levi

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »

IIRC The only place that is still allowed to use halon are planes, where efficiency of the firefighting gas is more important than the environmental problems. You can't really move people to a place of safety on a plane, and when catching on fire planes have a nasty habit of falling out of the sky.
The probem is though that no more halon is allowed be produced so when they service the extinguishers they have to clean the halon and re use it.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »

There's an interesting paragraph about Halon fire extinguishing on this Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halomethane#Fire_extinguishing

Lyle Williams

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »

There are significant stockpiles of halon, there is no risk of running out.  The real thing they are trying to prevent is the lazy venting of halon duing servicing/disposal.  Forcing the documentation/accouting/reporting/recycling of halon keeps it out of the atmosphere.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »

IIRC The only place that is still allowed to use halon are planes, where efficiency of the firefighting gas is more important than the environmental problems. You can't really move people to a place of safety on a plane, and when catching on fire planes have a nasty habit of falling out of the sky.
The probem is though that no more halon is allowed be produced so when they service the extinguishers they have to clean the halon and re use it.

This is correct. Last I heard there is still a supply of Halon used for refilling aviation extinguishers -- at great expense, I might add -- but the material is no longer manufactured. @Scott, I bet you have a Halon extinguisher in your plane. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.