Maybe - but I don't know where it might be located
- 0 (0%)
No - I've looked around and we don't have an AED in the building
- 2 (25%)
No - but I've asked about getting one
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AED on site?  (Read 4579 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
AED on site?
« on: December 31, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »

I've been teaching music mixing workshops at a bunch of churches lately where there's no AED (Automated External Defibrillator) to be found. So do the venues you're working at have an AED? Have you been trained in its use? Have you ever used an AED to save someone from electrocution? 

Al Keltz

• Rochester, NY
    • Whirlwind
Re: AED on site?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »

We have one and an oxygen bottle. I personally have not been trained on the AED but we have an EMT that works here. It would be a good idea to get more of us certified to use it in case he's not around.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »

The venue I typically tech at is adjacent to (housed in the same building as) the city's main fire station. All of the city firefighters are EMT/paramedic trained. 

I personally carry nitrile gloves and a compact CPR mask on my theater tool belt. I'm also AED/CPR trained. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »

I've been teaching music mixing workshops at a bunch of churches lately where there's no AED (Automated External Defibrillator) to be found. So do the venues you're working at have an AED? Have you been trained in its use? Have you ever used an AED to save someone from electrocution?

All my leads and most of my hands are CPR certified.  All of our venues have at least one AED.  Training is part of CPR class BUT no training is needed to use an AED.  Just do it, it gives great instructions. Our EMS response time is usually less than 5 minutes, I have never used it, but I started to hook a guy up once.  Turned out to be unnecessary but that's ok.  AEDs will not unnecessarily shock someone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »

we have a sub woofer
Not to Code

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »

All my leads and most of my hands are CPR certified.  All of our venues have at least one AED.  Training is part of CPR class BUT no training is needed to use an AED.  Just do it, it gives great instructions. Our EMS response time is usually less than 5 minutes, I have never used it, but I started to hook a guy up once.  Turned out to be unnecessary but that's ok.  AEDs will not unnecessarily shock someone....

Yes, any AEDs that I have used/trained with, have given very good easy to follow instructions that even an untrained person should be able to follow.
As Colin said, an AED will NOT deliver an unrequired shock and they also instruct you on your CPR timing (some even have a third pad that will tell you if you are administering the CPR compressions effectively).

This is the type of AED I use with NZ Red Cross.

Actual instructions from the AED can be heard in this demo from 2.35min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcD3Mv9oAU
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:49:29 PM by Jonathan Goodall »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 04:14:55 AM »

I work in 3 different arenas - 1 has multiple AEDs and a list of CPR/First Aid certified employees next to each unit; the second has EMTs on property 24/7; the third has no AED that I have seen.

No idea what I'd do with one except read the big red label and tell someone to call 911.  First rule learned in Scouts:  send/call for help or notify superiors, as appropriate.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Bradbury

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 06:49:57 AM »

I used to do gigs with a consultant cardiologist, I’m not sure if he counts?

For those in the UK the website AED Locator is aiming to compile a database of publicly available AED. If you have one or know of any not registered it might be worth adding it.

http://www.aedlocator.org/

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »

I work in 3 different arenas - 1 has multiple AEDs and a list of CPR/First Aid certified employees next to each unit.
I like the idea of having a list of CPR certified personnel with their cell phone numbers next to an AED.
No idea what I'd do with one except read the big red label and tell someone to call 911.  First rule learned in Scouts:  send/call for help or notify superiors, as appropriate.
I've talked to a number of certified CPR trainers, and they all say that calling 911 before beginning rescue or CPR is the most important thing you can do. And failing to make the call is the most common error they see in the field.

What bothers me is that most of the electrocutions I've been studying lately are due to low voltage shocks, just 120 volts in the USA and 230 volts in the UK and much of Europe. So these should have been survivable accidents if someone started compression-only CPR immediately and the EMTs arrived within 10 minutes. I've talked to one of my heart surgeon buddies about this, and he says that compression-only CPR should be especially effective on shock/electrocution victims since they have fully oxygenated blood in their bodies that you only need to push around to keep their brain from being damaged for at least another 5 minutes beyond the initial 5 minute time where brain damage becomes possible. On the other hand, drowning victims have oxygen starved blood to begin with, so ventilation as well as chest compressions is a more effective strategy.

I'm guessing that in many of these shock/electrocution accidents that compression-only CPR was NOT started immediately (after calling 911 first, or course). If you wait even 5 minutes for the EMTs to arrive before beginning CPR, then brain damage may have already begun.

In one of the churches I was teaching in last year, they said their guitar player got a big enough shock that he was knocked out for a few minutes, and when he regained consciousness he was disoriented and didn't know his own name. I asked if they called 911, and they said no... they were waiting to see if he woke up. That was one lucky guy because the musicians and sound crew did exactly the wrong thing. If someone is knocked unconscious from a shock, then you need to call 911 immediately and monitor breathing and pulse. As long as they're breathing and have a heartbeat, then immediate CPR isn't required but you still need to call 911 and have them checked out by an EMT. But if they're not breathing and you can't find a heartbeat, then compression-only CPR can extend the response time threshold until the EMTs can arrive with an AED and oxygen. Of course, if there's an AED available, then hooking it up immediately is the right thing to do. As noted earlier in the thread, an AED won't administer a defibrillating shock unless it detects cardiac distress. And most (maybe even all) of the new AEDs have voice cues that tell you what to do.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:54:24 AM by Mike Sokol »

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »

I like the idea of having a list of CPR certified personnel with their cell phone numbers next to an AED. I've talked to a number of certified CPR trainers, and they all say that calling 911 before beginning rescue or CPR is the most important thing you can do. And failing to make the call is the most common error they see in the field.

What bothers me is that most of the electrocutions I've been studying lately are due to low voltage shocks, just 120 volts in the USA and 230 volts in the UK and much of Europe. So these should have been survivable accidents if someone started compression-only CPR immediately and the EMTs arrived within 10 minutes. I've talked to one of my heart surgeon buddies about this, and he says that compression-only CPR should be especially effective on shock/electrocution victims since they have fully oxygenated blood in their bodies that you only need to push around to keep their brain from being damaged for at least another 5 minutes beyond the initial 5 minute time where brain damage becomes possible. On the other hand, drowning victims have oxygen starved blood to begin with, so ventilation as well as chest compressions is a more effective strategy.

I'm guessing that in many of these shock/electrocution accidents that compression-only CPR was NOT started immediately (after calling 911 first, or course). If you wait even 5 minutes for the EMTs to arrive before beginning CPR, then brain damage may have already begun.

In one of the churches I was teaching in last year, they said their guitar player got a big enough shock that he was knocked out for a few minutes, and when he regained consciousness he was disoriented and didn't know his own name. I asked if they called 911, and they said no... they were waiting to see if he woke up. That was one lucky guy because the musicians and sound crew did exactly the wrong thing. If someone is knocked unconscious from a shock, then you need to call 911 immediately and monitor breathing and pulse. As long as they're breathing and have a heartbeat, then immediate CPR isn't required but you still need to call 911 and have them checked out by an EMT. But if they're not breathing and you can't find a heartbeat, then compression-only CPR can extend the response time threshold until the EMTs can arrive with an AED and oxygen. Of course, if there's an AED available, then hooking it up immediately is the right thing to do. As noted earlier in the thread, an AED won't administer a defibrillating shock unless it detects cardiac distress. And most (maybe even all) of the new AEDs have voice cues that tell you what to do.

To be more specific, our venues have an emergency response guide, think of it like a big find your emergency flip book.  In Every dressing room, control room, office, classroom etc.  Performance venues also have laminated posters with show stop procedures.  There is a brief description of how to identify a medical emergency and when to call 911.  An easy rule of thumb is if someone passes out or looses consciousness, even momentarily, make that call.   Clearly the guidelines are more nuanced than that, but we very much have a culture that if there is any doubt, make the call, employees will NEVER get in trouble if they make that call unnecessarily.   The biggest challenge for us, is sometimes a patron has a medical emergency, someone in their party calls 911 and we don't hear/know about it until EMS rolls in the door, they ask our staff where the emergency is and we have no idea.  During a big intermission with a full house it's impossible for our staff to keep an eye on everyone....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 27 queries.